Questions

Answer for:

NTFS or FAT what should be the choice?

Message 11 of 21

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
Jacky Howe

1- You will end up getting lost with 15 Partitions. I would personally purchase a Hard drive for each Operating System and use a Bootloader to switch between them or Use a Virtual Environment.
You can have four Primary Partitions.
By replacing one of the four primary partitions with an extended partition, you can then make an additional 24 logical partitions within the extended one. The table below illustrates this.

Partition Table
Primary Partition #1
Primary Partition #2
Primary Partition #3
Primary Partition #4 (Extended Partition)
Logical Partition #1
Logical Partition #2 and so on...

2- Source your software that you will be using before going down this track. There is no sense installing 64bit if you can't find anything to run.

3- NTFS file system provides for greatly increased security, file?by?file compression, quotas, and even encryption. Another good reason to choose NTFS over FAT 32 is the stability of the file system. NTFS handles space management much more efficiently than FAT32. Cluster sizes play an important part in how much disk space is wasted storing files. NTFS provides smaller cluster sizes and less disk space waste than FAT32.

4- Any Operating system on any Hard drive can suffer from a sudden power outage. The answer to that is to use an (UPS) Uninteruptable Power Supply.

<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<HR>
<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd
<HR>
<b>How do I rate the answers to my posted Question?</b>
Click on the answer. Click the Mark "Helpful" button displayed below the post. You may mark more than one answer as "Helpful."