Questions

Office 2003 Error efxlgs5.dll

+
0 Votes

Office 2003 Error efxlgs5.dll

Matthab23
I have about 15 to 20 users having the same problems with their office products.

The modeName: efxlgs5.dll
AppStamp: 46155470
ModStamp: 4301051e

Crashes the program. I've run windows updates and repaired the installs, but still no luck.

Any help would be great.
  • +
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

A few questions...

Was a different version of Office previously installed?
    Does the crash occur regardless what component is opened (Word, Excel, Access...)?
    The log file is good, but what is the original exact error message and when exactly does it occur?
    What OS?
    Is the install being deployed over a network or installed on each workstation using a CD?

Do a search for that DLL (efxlgs.dll), right click it and select properties. Does that give any clue as to what it is associated with?
    Try renaming it to 'efxlgsTEST.dll' and see if that resolves the issue.

A tool that may help is DLL Show (http://tinyurl.com/eagpj). You can download a trial version to see if that helps in tracking down the purpose of that DLL.

something to try... If a previous version of Office was installed, pick a workstation, uninstall Office from Add/Remove Programs, un-install ALL instances of Office and Office products there, manually delete the Office folder in Program Files, reboot and then reinstall Office 2003.

[It is greatly appreciated if you tag all useful responses as 'Helpful' by opening those posts and clicking the 'Mark Helpful' button at the bottom. That way, people with a similar situation in the future will be able to quickly see what ultimately helped. Thanks]

+
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

Were you able to resolve the issue?
    If so, what fixed it?

+
    0 Votes
    Matthab23

Long story short the DLL was a bad DLL for PCL drivers on a Xerox copier that over half my building uses as their default printer.

I switched the printer to PS and everyone was fine.

Basically that DLL was being touchd by office products due to the printer being the default.

Every thing is good now, but your DLL program I think is awesome. Just the reference to the Hex code errors is worth it alone.

• +
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

A few questions...

Was a different version of Office previously installed?
    Does the crash occur regardless what component is opened (Word, Excel, Access...)?
    The log file is good, but what is the original exact error message and when exactly does it occur?
    What OS?
    Is the install being deployed over a network or installed on each workstation using a CD?

Do a search for that DLL (efxlgs.dll), right click it and select properties. Does that give any clue as to what it is associated with?
    Try renaming it to 'efxlgsTEST.dll' and see if that resolves the issue.

A tool that may help is DLL Show (http://tinyurl.com/eagpj). You can download a trial version to see if that helps in tracking down the purpose of that DLL.

something to try... If a previous version of Office was installed, pick a workstation, uninstall Office from Add/Remove Programs, un-install ALL instances of Office and Office products there, manually delete the Office folder in Program Files, reboot and then reinstall Office 2003.

[It is greatly appreciated if you tag all useful responses as 'Helpful' by opening those posts and clicking the 'Mark Helpful' button at the bottom. That way, people with a similar situation in the future will be able to quickly see what ultimately helped. Thanks]

+
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

Were you able to resolve the issue?
    If so, what fixed it?

+
    0 Votes
    Matthab23

Long story short the DLL was a bad DLL for PCL drivers on a Xerox copier that over half my building uses as their default printer.

I switched the printer to PS and everyone was fine.

Basically that DLL was being touchd by office products due to the printer being the default.

Every thing is good now, but your DLL program I think is awesome. Just the reference to the Hex code errors is worth it alone.