Questions

Office 2003 Excel spreadsheets in 2 different windows

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Office 2003 Excel spreadsheets in 2 different windows

CoeMah2
I would like to view 2 different spreadsheets in 2 different windows such as one on one monitor and the second on a different monitor so I can do side by side comparisons of the docs. I don't want to split the window as the company cannot afford to get me a mega-monitor so I can read them separately. I am tired of printing them out and covering my entire desk and/or clicking around constantly to check the rows. Any way I can get Excel 2003 to NOT insist on opening all Office Docs in one window?
  • +
    0 Votes
    RDK55

I've run into the same thing and found that instead of double-clicking on the spreadsheets themselves to open them, simply open Excel, then open your first spreadsheet. Then open ANOTHER instance of Excel and open your second spreadsheet there. You should now be able to do your comparisons.

+
    1 Votes
    jon.email

My Computer
    Tools
    Folder Options
    File Types
    Choose XLS (XLSX for 2007 or XLS for 2003)
    Go to Advanced

Uncheck "browse in same window" in advanced window.

Then highlight Open
    Edit

Make sure in the Action box it says &Open

Copy one of the following and paste into "application used to perform action" (Check wether current path has OFFICE11 or OFFICE12 then copy and paste one of the following:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

Check the box next to use DDE

Remove anything that is in DDE Message box and DDE Application Not Running box.

Make sure the application box says: EXCEL

And in the Topic box it says: System

+
    0 Votes
    my_bit_bucket

I know it's been a while, and you'll probably never see this, but thanks. You are brilliant. This has been bugging me for ages.

+
    0 Votes
    amitdwij

Hi,

Try using the compare side by side feature of excel. you can get it in.. Windows menu...
    You can both open the excel sheet on the same instance as default by excel or seperately it works both way.

Tell me how it went on...
    Dwij

+
    0 Votes
    ds.it.tech

The best and easiest way to open two spreadhseets is to open Excel normally, the go back to the Program list and hold down the Shift key when you click on Excel again. This will let you have two windows of workbooks side by side and independent of each other.

As an alterantive, if you want to see two different workbooks in the same window, only open one instance of Excel, then open both workbooks. Click on Window (at the top of the pane) to get the drop down list, and select Compare side by side.

+
    0 Votes
    maldm_2000

this is the best way, thanks!

+
    1 Votes
    jon.email

My Computer
    Tools
    Folder Options
    File Types
    Go to Advanced

Then highlight Open
    Edit

Copy one of the following and paste into "application used to perform action" (Check wether current path has OFFICE11 or OFFICE12 then copy and paste one of the following:

+
    0 Votes
    amitdwij

Hi,

Try using the compare side by side feature of excel. you can get it in.. Windows menu...
    You can both open the excel sheet on the same instance as default by excel or seperately it works both way.

Dwij

+
    0 Votes
    ds.it.tech

The best and easiest way to open two spreadhseets is to open Excel normally, the go back to the Program list and hold down the Shift key when you click on Excel again. This will let you have two windows of workbooks side by side and independent of each other.

As an alterantive, if you want to see two different workbooks in the same window, only open one instance of Excel, then open both workbooks. Click on Window (at the top of the pane) to get the drop down list, and select Compare side by side.

• +
    0 Votes
    RDK55

I've run into the same thing and found that instead of double-clicking on the spreadsheets themselves to open them, simply open Excel, then open your first spreadsheet. Then open ANOTHER instance of Excel and open your second spreadsheet there. You should now be able to do your comparisons.

+
    1 Votes
    jon.email

My Computer
    Tools
    Folder Options
    File Types
    Go to Advanced

Then highlight Open
    Edit

+
    0 Votes
    my_bit_bucket

I know it's been a while, and you'll probably never see this, but thanks. You are brilliant. This has been bugging me for ages.

+
    0 Votes
    amitdwij

Hi,

Dwij

+
    0 Votes
    ds.it.tech

+
    0 Votes
    maldm_2000

this is the best way, thanks!

+
    1 Votes
    jon.email

My Computer
    Tools
    Folder Options
    File Types
    Go to Advanced

Then highlight Open
    Edit

+
    0 Votes
    amitdwij

Hi,

Dwij

+
    0 Votes
    ds.it.tech