Questions

Office 2007 suites Permission setting on network drives

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Office 2007 suites Permission setting on network drives

SpamBot
Hi All,

Recently we upgrade to Office 2007 from Office 2003 and we have users unable to save existing 2003 files(doc, xls) located in our network drives. On further probing, they can only do so when given "Modify" permission instead of "Write".

This does not happen on users who are on Office 2003. What is the causes of this as we can't afford to give this "Modify" permission to them.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.
  • +
    0 Votes
    BFilmFan

There is a difference between the Modify Permission and Write permission set.

Are the users saving data into a personal network home folder? If so, why can't you give them the Modify permission?

+
    0 Votes
    SpamBot

Hi BFilmFan,

The users are saving data into our office network shared drives which store daily operation SOPs.

The reason that "Users" are not assign to "Write" permission is that we do no want them to del any files when they are not the owner. Only appropriated "Groups" are given this modify permission.

My puzzle now is why there is a need for Office 2007 to have "Modify" permission just for saving files (doc, xls) when doing the same thing on Office 2003 work just fine with "Read, Write, Execute"? If it is not given, Office 2007 will prompt "Access Deny, Contact Administrator", and offer a "Save As" option.

*scratchs head*

+
    0 Votes
    SpamBot

anyone one can help me on this?

• +
    0 Votes
    BFilmFan

There is a difference between the Modify Permission and Write permission set.

Are the users saving data into a personal network home folder? If so, why can't you give them the Modify permission?

+
    0 Votes
    SpamBot

Hi BFilmFan,

The users are saving data into our office network shared drives which store daily operation SOPs.

The reason that "Users" are not assign to "Write" permission is that we do no want them to del any files when they are not the owner. Only appropriated "Groups" are given this modify permission.

My puzzle now is why there is a need for Office 2007 to have "Modify" permission just for saving files (doc, xls) when doing the same thing on Office 2003 work just fine with "Read, Write, Execute"? If it is not given, Office 2007 will prompt "Access Deny, Contact Administrator", and offer a "Save As" option.

*scratchs head*

+
    0 Votes
    SpamBot

anyone one can help me on this?