Questions

OpenSuse 12.1

+
0 Votes

OpenSuse 12.1

Jacdes
I've downloades it to a DVD. Can I run it from the DVD to evaluate it or must I install it?
Thank you
  • +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

If you boot from the DVD, it will either boot a 'Live' version or start the installer.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacdes

I downloaded it from the Tech Republic newsletter using that link.
    If I understand, it will either boot up or try to install. If it tries to install can I cancel it?
    Thank you.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

I have not tried that specific distro, but yes, there is most likely a way to cancel it.

General Disclaimer:
    It never hurts to make an extra backup of your data, as hard drives do not last forever.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacdes

Thank you so much. I appreciate your kindness.

+
    0 Votes
    chucktr

The DVD for openSuSE 12.1 is for installation. It is NOT for execution. We have a couple of LiveCD versions for that. You can pick which Desktop Manager you want, either KDE or Gnome. Personally I have used a KDE LiveCD to rescue Windows XP data.

Have fun,
    Chuck

+
    0 Votes
    depiaro

If you only want to give it a try, you could run it on Virtual machine. There are some people already create opensuse virtual box image for free-download.

• +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

If you boot from the DVD, it will either boot a 'Live' version or start the installer.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacdes

I downloaded it from the Tech Republic newsletter using that link.
    If I understand, it will either boot up or try to install. If it tries to install can I cancel it?
    Thank you.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

I have not tried that specific distro, but yes, there is most likely a way to cancel it.

General Disclaimer:
    It never hurts to make an extra backup of your data, as hard drives do not last forever.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacdes

Thank you so much. I appreciate your kindness.

+
    0 Votes
    chucktr

The DVD for openSuSE 12.1 is for installation. It is NOT for execution. We have a couple of LiveCD versions for that. You can pick which Desktop Manager you want, either KDE or Gnome. Personally I have used a KDE LiveCD to rescue Windows XP data.

Have fun,
    Chuck

+
    0 Votes
    depiaro

If you only want to give it a try, you could run it on Virtual machine. There are some people already create opensuse virtual box image for free-download.