Questions

Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express

+
0 Votes

Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express

rezrider
I upgraded a win98 pc to winxp the computer runs great all drivers loaded, runs fast no errors. One problem I cannot open web links in email in outlook and outlook express. I tried almost everything registry fixes uninstalling reinstalling still nothing any ideas?
  • +
    0 Votes
    Steffi28

get an error message when attempting to open a link or does it just crash?

+
    0 Votes
    rezrider

nothing happens it doesn't crash or give an error.

+
    0 Votes
    Tig2

In both Outlook and IE (I am making an assumption that you are using IE). It seems to me that hot-links are not enabled by default.

Good Luck!

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

You didn't say what version of Outlook you're running, but this article MAY still apply.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329925/en-us

Also, check your security settings in IE. New security settings will prevent you from clicking links to sites that may be harmful.

+
    0 Votes
    HCream

I remember one time a user had a similar problem. Once he was using Firefox as his default browser. But then he deleted it & switched to IE (without first switch the default setting). That's when the problem started with his Outlook.

On IE, under the Tools, Options menu, be sure to check the box "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser".

+
    0 Votes
    rezrider

Thanks I tried that one I can't get back on that computer until tomorrow or tuesday this is a strange one.

+
    0 Votes
    colmgdonnelly

Check internet explorer - Tools\internet options\programs. Make sure internet explorer is selected as your default browser and outlook (express or full) is selected as your mail client. If you have any non MS browsers installed this can cause this.

+
    0 Votes
    rezrider

Thank you all for your help and helping me to brainstorm the answer was simply after pulling all of my hair out. ZONE ALARM It was blocking the links but not giving any warning messages or anything it just would not open them. Thanks again rezrider

• +
    0 Votes
    Steffi28

get an error message when attempting to open a link or does it just crash?

+
    0 Votes
    rezrider

nothing happens it doesn't crash or give an error.

+
    0 Votes
    Tig2

In both Outlook and IE (I am making an assumption that you are using IE). It seems to me that hot-links are not enabled by default.

Good Luck!

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

You didn't say what version of Outlook you're running, but this article MAY still apply.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329925/en-us

Also, check your security settings in IE. New security settings will prevent you from clicking links to sites that may be harmful.

+
    0 Votes
    HCream

I remember one time a user had a similar problem. Once he was using Firefox as his default browser. But then he deleted it & switched to IE (without first switch the default setting). That's when the problem started with his Outlook.

On IE, under the Tools, Options menu, be sure to check the box "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser".

+
    0 Votes
    rezrider

Thanks I tried that one I can't get back on that computer until tomorrow or tuesday this is a strange one.

+
    0 Votes
    colmgdonnelly

Check internet explorer - Tools\internet options\programs. Make sure internet explorer is selected as your default browser and outlook (express or full) is selected as your mail client. If you have any non MS browsers installed this can cause this.

+
    0 Votes
    rezrider

Thank you all for your help and helping me to brainstorm the answer was simply after pulling all of my hair out. ZONE ALARM It was blocking the links but not giving any warning messages or anything it just would not open them. Thanks again rezrider