Questions

Outlook 2003 - System Standby

+
0 Votes

Outlook 2003 - System Standby

dilson_p
Dear All,

I am facing a strange problem on one of my friends laptop. The laptop fails to go on standby after OUTLOOK 2003 has been executed (doing a send & receive). After a cold boot as long OUTLOOK is not started, the system can go on STANDBY and back. But once OUTLOOK has been started and then quit, the system just stays with the desktop showing, no matter how log you leave the system ON. It does not go onto STANDBY anymore. Has anyone come across this problem? Please suggest what is the best way to resolve this issue.
  • +
    0 Votes
    kdvaughanjr

Same problem. Have not found a solution yet (though Microsoft Support article KB938201 comes close). Keep up the search.

+
    0 Votes

You could try and install your Vista/Xp disks and select the "repair" option in either of then. This will repair your system so that the computer can go into standby. Another way is to do this: CTRL + ALT + DEL, this should bring up the task manager so that you can close outlook from there. Hope this helps you.

Please post back if you have anymore problems or questions.

+
    0 Votes
    jamest

In our work with putting computers into lower power states, we have found that a number of applications can have an effect on this. Outlook (IF you are using Word as your editor) is one such culprit. You have two options. Option one, change your default editor to something else (like Wordpad). Option two, change your WORD configuration so that it saves documents automatically after so many minutes. If what I suspect is happening to you, this should solve your issue. The only other possibility is that your computer is running as a networked computer and you have set your TEMP directory (for Word in particular) to a network share. This, too, would cause the symptom you are reporting. In any case DO NOT go down the path of repairing/restoring your OS - that is just a waste of time as the issue is with Outlook/Word and their settings.

I hope this helps.

• +
    0 Votes
    kdvaughanjr

Same problem. Have not found a solution yet (though Microsoft Support article KB938201 comes close). Keep up the search.

+
    0 Votes

You could try and install your Vista/Xp disks and select the "repair" option in either of then. This will repair your system so that the computer can go into standby. Another way is to do this: CTRL + ALT + DEL, this should bring up the task manager so that you can close outlook from there. Hope this helps you.

Please post back if you have anymore problems or questions.

+
    0 Votes
    jamest

In our work with putting computers into lower power states, we have found that a number of applications can have an effect on this. Outlook (IF you are using Word as your editor) is one such culprit. You have two options. Option one, change your default editor to something else (like Wordpad). Option two, change your WORD configuration so that it saves documents automatically after so many minutes. If what I suspect is happening to you, this should solve your issue. The only other possibility is that your computer is running as a networked computer and you have set your TEMP directory (for Word in particular) to a network share. This, too, would cause the symptom you are reporting. In any case DO NOT go down the path of repairing/restoring your OS - that is just a waste of time as the issue is with Outlook/Word and their settings.

I hope this helps.