Questions

Outlook 2003"The operation failed. An object could not be found" error

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Outlook 2003"The operation failed. An object could not be found" error

fadbel
You receive the "The operation failed. An object could not be found" error message when you attempt to CLOSE ARCHIVES that are open. This is similar to the same message received on clicking "Send/Receive" which requires building a new Outlook Profile.
I've tried that and it gets rid of the Archive folders BUT...it also wipes out ALL OF MY CUSTOMIZATION...RULES...ADDRESS BOOK...FORMAT OF FOLDERS, etc.
This is unacceptable! I've spent too much time getting this stuff set the way I want it.
Yes, I know I can IMPORT the address book and the rules but, it's the Folder Format and the Shortcuts to the folders plus some other niceties that I lose.
Can someone tell me what to look for in the "Object not found"? All I want to do is close Archive Folders.
I did an Archive consisting of almost 700 MB, yes, that's right, 700 MB of files and IT ATTACHED ITSELF RIGHT BACK TO OUTLOOK!
What good is archiving to reduce application size when you can't get rid of the archive from the app???
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD NEWS!
  • +
    0 Votes
    Alfisti164

How annoying.

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

Either that or this is a currently unsolvable one. This may be related to the message concerning "Source Files not found" when you try to do an update on some programs you've been running for years.
    Currently, I'm waiting to get some aid from MS as an update to Office 2003 keeps failing (KB 919029).

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

Either that or this is a currently unsolvable one. This may be related to the message concerning "Source Files not found" when you try to do an update on some programs you've been running for years.
    Currently, I'm waiting to get some aid from MS as an update to Office 2003 keeps failing (KB 919029).

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

+
    0 Votes
    Tony Hogan

I've had similar issues in the past and found the only fix is to either:
    1) create a new Profile that doesn't contain the problem folder
    -or-
    2) use regedit to remove the reference to it
    Here's a rough outline of what to do (for the experienced user)
    Close Outlook
    Essentially start regedit and do a search for the folder name as displayed in Outlook - it will most likely be in a location similar to the following:
    [HKEY_USERS\<user id identifier>\ Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\ Profiles\<profile name>\ <cryptic alphanumeric code>

Export the entire key where you find the PST folfer display name and then delete it
    Close regedit

Restart Outlook - the folder should now be gone

-tony

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

I'm attempting to paste a small pic:
    Looks like paste isn't an option here.
    The problem is, the names of the folders that won't close are each one
    "Archive Folders".

There are some other problems here as, I can't run "Detect & Repair" without getting "Sourcefile not found...". I can't run certain security updates to Office 2003 for the same reason.
    No viruses are involved, nor malicious software. Something "stepped on" the Registry some time back and I can't find where. Microsoft Support can't suggest anything other than a "clean" install.
    LAST, LAST, LAST RESORT!!!!
    I'll try your method anyway if I can identify WHICH Archive folders are involved in the Registry. I'm a Pack-Rat. I DO keep Archives.

+
    0 Votes
    bmeyering

Tony,

Thanks for this great posting. My outlook client has been mucked up for over a year with some Archive Folders that were on a network share that is no longer available. I suspect this is way I couldn't close them in Outlook. Export the keys was easy and deleting them from the registry did the trick.

THANKS,

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

The only place in the registry that listed "Archive Folders" (the name of both Archives in Outlook 2003 that can't be closed) was in the scanned section of AVG Free Antivirus which I deleted and later (after deleting the registry entries) removed the program from my system.
    Even after reboot, those Archives still cannot be closed or removed.
    I feel that there is another underlying problem which is also affecting my system's ability to update, or run Detect & Repair which is why I am planning, with much pain, to rebuild my system from scratch.

I wish there existed a utility that could track the source of problems like this. I'm getting tired of purchasing so-called Ultimate Trouble-shooters; Registry Fixers; System Enhancers; et al.

+
    0 Votes
    keithharo

hi Tony

I get as far as Windows Messaging Subsystem\profiles and then Im kind of stuck as I have a default and defaultprofile. whats the next step?

Keith

+
    0 Votes
    kathryn

I'd previously tried the "new profile" method without success. Thank you so much for posting the registry method. I've been trying to close two folders for months and this is the first thing to work.

+
    1 Votes
    frednerk99

Hi Guys
    I have created a repair for outlook profiles, custommised for my work place. One of the problems i found was the Outlook 2003"The operation failed. An object could not be found" error. Well this is the hardest product to deploy ever. I found that when ever a new profile is created in outlook a new *.srs (send receive settings)file exists. The *.srs file contains hard coded paths to the local cached pst files in documents and settings \blah\blah.

Answer: Close outlook, simply delete all the *srs files from %userprofile%\application data\Microsoft\Outlook.
    EG C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.srs

When outlook is re-opened it will create a new *.srs file (* = the name of your profile in outlook)

Answer 2

When using IMAP with outlook we found that on some PC's they hang when they send receive. Set the default inbox to be the one on the server and not the local pst.
    1 open outlook, but do not login or it will hang (click cancel to any login dialogue boxes)
    2 Tools, options, Other Tab, Advanced options
    3 Start up in this folder, set to your inbox on your imap server, has fixed it every time for us.

+
    0 Votes
    JRM231

This worked great. I wanted to clarify though, that this error comes up in multiple situations and the situations have different solutions.

I was getting "The operation failed. An object could not be found" message when I clicked send/receive or whenever outlook did a send receive operation (I have my e-mail set up to check for new mail every 5 minutes so it was happening often). Backing up, closing Outlook and then deleting the .srs file from the application data/microsoft outlook directoy as stated above resolved the issue. Outlook created a new one when it opened. Interestingly the new file is over 3 times as large as the old one.

+
    0 Votes
    Psdie

Thank you Fred (?) - perfect! :) I got this after migrating Outlook settings via Genie Mail Backup - deleting .srs files fixed immediately.

+
    0 Votes
    vsutherland

The FRMCACHE.DAT file was corrupted so it was renamed from FRMCACHE.DAT to FRMCACHE.000. Outlook was reopened and the form accessed. This action caused a new FRMCACHE.DAT file to be created, resolving the problem. To locate the file do a search for the file name FRMCACHE.DAT.

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

I'm getting ready to do a COMPLETE re-install of XP Pro and Office (I've been GETTING ready for about 6 months now!).
    My only problem doing that is to find ALL of my original discs for all the apps I use.
    My problem; don't sweat it and thanks for the suggestion.

+
    0 Votes
    paul_toste

I tried everything but found this shareware program. It helps you to get rid of Ghost PSTs. Hyperlink is: http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php

Close Outlook. Download and run it the freeware, select your profile. Continue to expand all of the "+" signs. You'll see various folder names as you do this. Some may come up more than once. Click on the "Ghost PST" folder names when you see them and then click delete. Once your done with this, open Outlook and the folder should be gone.

+
    0 Votes
    shemharper

That piece of freeware "Public Fix Profile" works a treat.

I am using MS Exchange and found the reference to the archive folder under:
    "Profiles Section" -> "Store Providers" then one of the subfolders below that.

Run a backup on the relevant folder then delete it and restart Outlook and the archive folder will have been removed and can be reloaded again fine from your local drive.

+
    0 Votes
    s

Public Fix Profile for Outlook? worked for me... essentially provides easier framework to remove the offending registry entries

+
    0 Votes
    cybercktan

I was searching in the registries trying to figure which line to delete but I was lost. With the shareware, within 1 min, my problem was solved.

Thank you for the good tips.

+
    0 Votes
    mburnham

"Ditto". Trawling for solutions for 2 hrs to no avail - this particular solution took <1 min after installing.
    Many thanks

+
    0 Votes
    chengo

Public Fix Profile for Outlook worked like a charm.

+
    0 Votes
    fredd

I had several Archive Folders that I couldn't close due to the "...object does not exist error" and this tool corrected the problem in less than 5 minutes.

http://www.codetwo.com/pages/freeware/pst_ghostbuster.php

+
    0 Votes
    lsolow

The "Delete Ghosts" article helped me delete 10 duplicate profiles. One small tweak:

Identifying and eliminating duplicate 'right pane' keys was not sufficient to eliminate the folders. I exported the Registry for protection, then started deleting one 'left pane' key at a time, re-starting Outlook to see the results. In one case, the calendar wouldn't open so I restored the prior saved Registry and tried another. I deleted them one by one, exporting the registry each time until the duplicates were gone.

Also check another post: http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php -- which helped delete a folder not removed by the other process.

THANKS to all -- this has been frustrating for a long time!

+
    0 Votes
    dthomashome

Finds the "ghost" archives and lets you delete them. It has an option to backup your registry first.

http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php

+
    0 Votes
    rjeong

I had a the same error when opening attachments in a message, but it wasn't related to the PST nor the archive folders, given I was connecting to exchange directly and wasn't using Cached mode.

I tried all of the following.
    *Deleting the profile and recreating it. (probably 25 times in a variety of
    ways)
    *Clearing the form cache and locating any residing FRMCACHE.DAT files
    *Deleting ghost pst
    (http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php)
    *Deleting everything including outcmd.dat in C:\Documents and
    Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
    *Deleting everything including extend.dat in C:\Documents and
    *Run a Detect & Repair on Outlook.
    *Checked the registry entries of
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\
    and
    HKEY_USERS\<user id identifier>\ Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\ Profiles\<profile name>\ <cryptic
    alphanumeric code>

In the end I just needed to clear out the user's Outlook temp folder.
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm

Hope this helps.

+
    0 Votes
    mdphoenix

I tried all of the remedies described above to no avail. What's strange is that this was happening on only two units in my Firm out of 47 computers across three locations. And both computers affected were in different offices. It turns out that the only thing they had in common was that Symantec Endpoint Protection was disabled. Re-enabling it fixed the problem immediately.

+
    0 Votes
    Aletheion

Yup. That's what it was for me too.

• +
    0 Votes
    Alfisti164

How annoying.

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

+
    0 Votes
    Tony Hogan

I've had similar issues in the past and found the only fix is to either:
    1) create a new Profile that doesn't contain the problem folder
    -or-
    2) use regedit to remove the reference to it
    Here's a rough outline of what to do (for the experienced user)
    Close Outlook
    Essentially start regedit and do a search for the folder name as displayed in Outlook - it will most likely be in a location similar to the following:
    [HKEY_USERS\<user id identifier>\ Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\ Profiles\<profile name>\ <cryptic alphanumeric code>

Export the entire key where you find the PST folfer display name and then delete it
    Close regedit

Restart Outlook - the folder should now be gone

-tony

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

I'm attempting to paste a small pic:
    Looks like paste isn't an option here.
    The problem is, the names of the folders that won't close are each one
    "Archive Folders".

There are some other problems here as, I can't run "Detect & Repair" without getting "Sourcefile not found...". I can't run certain security updates to Office 2003 for the same reason.
    No viruses are involved, nor malicious software. Something "stepped on" the Registry some time back and I can't find where. Microsoft Support can't suggest anything other than a "clean" install.
    LAST, LAST, LAST RESORT!!!!
    I'll try your method anyway if I can identify WHICH Archive folders are involved in the Registry. I'm a Pack-Rat. I DO keep Archives.

+
    0 Votes
    bmeyering

Tony,

Thanks for this great posting. My outlook client has been mucked up for over a year with some Archive Folders that were on a network share that is no longer available. I suspect this is way I couldn't close them in Outlook. Export the keys was easy and deleting them from the registry did the trick.

THANKS,

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

The only place in the registry that listed "Archive Folders" (the name of both Archives in Outlook 2003 that can't be closed) was in the scanned section of AVG Free Antivirus which I deleted and later (after deleting the registry entries) removed the program from my system.
    Even after reboot, those Archives still cannot be closed or removed.
    I feel that there is another underlying problem which is also affecting my system's ability to update, or run Detect & Repair which is why I am planning, with much pain, to rebuild my system from scratch.

I wish there existed a utility that could track the source of problems like this. I'm getting tired of purchasing so-called Ultimate Trouble-shooters; Registry Fixers; System Enhancers; et al.

+
    0 Votes
    keithharo

hi Tony

I get as far as Windows Messaging Subsystem\profiles and then Im kind of stuck as I have a default and defaultprofile. whats the next step?

Keith

+
    0 Votes
    kathryn

I'd previously tried the "new profile" method without success. Thank you so much for posting the registry method. I've been trying to close two folders for months and this is the first thing to work.

+
    1 Votes
    frednerk99

Hi Guys
    I have created a repair for outlook profiles, custommised for my work place. One of the problems i found was the Outlook 2003"The operation failed. An object could not be found" error. Well this is the hardest product to deploy ever. I found that when ever a new profile is created in outlook a new *.srs (send receive settings)file exists. The *.srs file contains hard coded paths to the local cached pst files in documents and settings \blah\blah.

Answer: Close outlook, simply delete all the *srs files from %userprofile%\application data\Microsoft\Outlook.
    EG C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.srs

When outlook is re-opened it will create a new *.srs file (* = the name of your profile in outlook)

Answer 2

When using IMAP with outlook we found that on some PC's they hang when they send receive. Set the default inbox to be the one on the server and not the local pst.
    1 open outlook, but do not login or it will hang (click cancel to any login dialogue boxes)
    2 Tools, options, Other Tab, Advanced options
    3 Start up in this folder, set to your inbox on your imap server, has fixed it every time for us.

+
    0 Votes
    JRM231

This worked great. I wanted to clarify though, that this error comes up in multiple situations and the situations have different solutions.

I was getting "The operation failed. An object could not be found" message when I clicked send/receive or whenever outlook did a send receive operation (I have my e-mail set up to check for new mail every 5 minutes so it was happening often). Backing up, closing Outlook and then deleting the .srs file from the application data/microsoft outlook directoy as stated above resolved the issue. Outlook created a new one when it opened. Interestingly the new file is over 3 times as large as the old one.

+
    0 Votes
    Psdie

Thank you Fred (?) - perfect! :) I got this after migrating Outlook settings via Genie Mail Backup - deleting .srs files fixed immediately.

+
    0 Votes
    vsutherland

The FRMCACHE.DAT file was corrupted so it was renamed from FRMCACHE.DAT to FRMCACHE.000. Outlook was reopened and the form accessed. This action caused a new FRMCACHE.DAT file to be created, resolving the problem. To locate the file do a search for the file name FRMCACHE.DAT.

+
    0 Votes
    fadbel

I'm getting ready to do a COMPLETE re-install of XP Pro and Office (I've been GETTING ready for about 6 months now!).
    My only problem doing that is to find ALL of my original discs for all the apps I use.
    My problem; don't sweat it and thanks for the suggestion.

+
    0 Votes
    paul_toste

I tried everything but found this shareware program. It helps you to get rid of Ghost PSTs. Hyperlink is: http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php

Close Outlook. Download and run it the freeware, select your profile. Continue to expand all of the "+" signs. You'll see various folder names as you do this. Some may come up more than once. Click on the "Ghost PST" folder names when you see them and then click delete. Once your done with this, open Outlook and the folder should be gone.

+
    0 Votes
    shemharper

That piece of freeware "Public Fix Profile" works a treat.

I am using MS Exchange and found the reference to the archive folder under:
    "Profiles Section" -> "Store Providers" then one of the subfolders below that.

Run a backup on the relevant folder then delete it and restart Outlook and the archive folder will have been removed and can be reloaded again fine from your local drive.

+
    0 Votes
    s

Public Fix Profile for Outlook? worked for me... essentially provides easier framework to remove the offending registry entries

+
    0 Votes
    cybercktan

I was searching in the registries trying to figure which line to delete but I was lost. With the shareware, within 1 min, my problem was solved.

Thank you for the good tips.

+
    0 Votes
    mburnham

"Ditto". Trawling for solutions for 2 hrs to no avail - this particular solution took <1 min after installing.
    Many thanks

+
    0 Votes
    chengo

Public Fix Profile for Outlook worked like a charm.

+
    0 Votes
    fredd

I had several Archive Folders that I couldn't close due to the "...object does not exist error" and this tool corrected the problem in less than 5 minutes.

http://www.codetwo.com/pages/freeware/pst_ghostbuster.php

+
    0 Votes
    lsolow

The "Delete Ghosts" article helped me delete 10 duplicate profiles. One small tweak:

Identifying and eliminating duplicate 'right pane' keys was not sufficient to eliminate the folders. I exported the Registry for protection, then started deleting one 'left pane' key at a time, re-starting Outlook to see the results. In one case, the calendar wouldn't open so I restored the prior saved Registry and tried another. I deleted them one by one, exporting the registry each time until the duplicates were gone.

Also check another post: http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php -- which helped delete a folder not removed by the other process.

THANKS to all -- this has been frustrating for a long time!

+
    0 Votes
    dthomashome

Finds the "ghost" archives and lets you delete them. It has an option to backup your registry first.

http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php

+
    0 Votes
    rjeong

I had a the same error when opening attachments in a message, but it wasn't related to the PST nor the archive folders, given I was connecting to exchange directly and wasn't using Cached mode.

I tried all of the following.
    *Deleting the profile and recreating it. (probably 25 times in a variety of
    ways)
    *Clearing the form cache and locating any residing FRMCACHE.DAT files
    *Deleting ghost pst
    (http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php)
    *Deleting everything including outcmd.dat in C:\Documents and
    *Deleting everything including extend.dat in C:\Documents and
    *Run a Detect & Repair on Outlook.
    *Checked the registry entries of
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\
    and
    HKEY_USERS\<user id identifier>\ Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\ Profiles\<profile name>\ <cryptic
    alphanumeric code>

In the end I just needed to clear out the user's Outlook temp folder.
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm

Hope this helps.

+
    0 Votes
    mdphoenix

I tried all of the remedies described above to no avail. What's strange is that this was happening on only two units in my Firm out of 47 computers across three locations. And both computers affected were in different offices. It turns out that the only thing they had in common was that Symantec Endpoint Protection was disabled. Re-enabling it fixed the problem immediately.

+
    0 Votes
    Aletheion

Yup. That's what it was for me too.