Questions

Outlook XP/2003 printing problems small font size since IE7 update

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Outlook XP/2003 printing problems small font size since IE7 update

swisstonihasher
Has anyone else experienced problems with random emails printing in small fonts from Outlook XP/2003?

No pattern seems to exist as an email from an external source can have the small font print problem (with no header) and yet the next email from them will be fine. If you copy and paste the email text (which "views" normally from Outlook) into word it prints normally.

On checking HTML settings for fonts, all users that have this issue are set the same as everyone else, ie medium text size.

Please let me know if you've experienced this...
  • +
    0 Votes
    clifftayloruk

A number of users on my network have reported this issue since IE7 was rolled out in the last week or so. Uninstalling IE7 cures the problem, so that must be where the issue lies. I'm still investigating further and will post back here if I find anything more out.

+
    0 Votes
    lnbates

Yes, since I installed IE7, my outlook 2003 e-mail printing is being reduced to a very small font.

I have tried to go into print and page setup, but to no avail.

I guess I'll have to uninstall IE7...

Too bad...

If someone has a solution... please post..

Hammer... (can't touch this).

+
    0 Votes
    jfowler

You can disable font styles:
    Open Internet Options. On the general tab, click the Accessibility button. Check mark "Ignore font styles specified on webpages".

This will allow you to print headers on HTML emails.

+
    0 Votes
    greg

When you make this accessibility change you mess up the style sheets for the websites so the webpages you're viewing look distorted.

going back to the issue:

I've replicated this same issue with ie7 on several pc's now. As soon as internet explorer 7 is installed printing html emails in outlook is completely screwed up.

Its not all html emails however. It appears to be html emails formatted in previous versions of office... ie... office 2000 and office 2002 html authored emails printed with ie 7 are screwed up.

I've tested and confirmed the issue is with older versions of office and ie 7.

+
    0 Votes
    jens.dahmen

In Outlook go to Tools | Options... and on the Preferences Tab select "E-Mail Options..." and mark the "Read all mail in plain text" option. That will fix all formating issues and should enable you to print properly.

+
    0 Votes
    dawgit

a fairly typicle M$ / XP problem. It seems like almost every time M$ does an up-date of any kind I have the same problem (or Worse)
    A quick Question here? Is the Printer in question off an USB or the Print/Par-port? That does make a difference. I only have the problems on the par.port printer.
    My solutions always involve redoing the settings card for that printer. (Start/Printers and Faxes/Printer#x/Properties/-)
    Sometime times twice, (if it looks correct, change to something bogus, then redo as correct) that usally does it.

+
    0 Votes
    tony

In my cases - headers not being printed, I tried network printers (KPDL), PCL, a USB Epson and printing to PDF.

+
    0 Votes
    dawgit

That's not funny

+
    0 Votes
    tony

I have a customer with a similar problem, and can replicate it.

IE7, Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 server (running on SBS 2003)

Some incoming HTML emails will not print the headers at all.

If I convert the HTML mail to plain text (only option) and send it back to myself, the problem disappears; if I then convert the plain text mail to HTML and mail it back to myself, it prints perfectly.

Thus, it has to be either something in the incoming HTML mail or it doesn't happen for the internal domain.

The only clue I have is that the incoming HTML mails might contain extended character sets.

Printing the same emails from Outlook Web Access also shows the same problem - not surprising, because as far as I can tell, Outlook 2003 uses IE for printing of HTML mails (but not Plain or Rich Text). I deduced this a long time ago because if you print an email with a file attachment, plain text and rich text print the file attachment - icon and name, but HTML mails don't (but do from Outlook Express).

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

I've experienced both small font prints from HTML emails, plus no headers etc on others, all since ie7 install.

I've read on another forum that MS are aware of the problem and looking at a patch asap - hope so.

Def not printer related as I've tried all sorts, network Xerox's, local USB HP's, list of printers used is endless and all the same results from users with this problem.

+
    0 Votes
    jerrymeek

it seems that i also have this problem printing from map quest. most other sites print ok

+
    0 Votes
    Benyben6

Do you still have the link the that forum you're talking about?

A microsoft KB article would be nice too, if you have it.

Thanks!

+
    0 Votes
    slumsden

Yes I just deployed 25 new units w/Office 2003 SP2 w/ IE7 and it didn't take long for users to point out the problem.
    what up!!

S

+
    0 Votes
    yavarp

I found the same problem but it is random, in some mails only it prints very small fonts

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

You'll find the problem relates to emails sent in HTML format (rich and plain text emails are fine).

Anyone know if Microsoft have sorted a fix yet?

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

Still constantly watching out for updates from MS, but nothing yet...anyone have more info?

+
    0 Votes
    Benyben6

I had the same issue (emails print way too small, and no headers). This is with Outlook 2003

I was able to print e-mails fine after I did the following:
    -Tools, options
    -In preferences tab, click e-mail options...
    -Under Message Handling, check "Read all standard mail in plain text"
    -Restart oulook, and you should be able to print e-mails fine. Hopefully we'll be able to print in html soon.

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

I'm trying to "read all standard mail in plain text" option now...

+
    0 Votes
    witewolf1

It Works thanks.

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

Ends up email pages with graphics turn up as text (as it's being converted), that's the only problem...not really a problem for users in my firm. Thanks.

+
    0 Votes
    skaiblue

Microsoft has a beta hotfix available upon request but states that it also intends to include this global fix in its next service pack. Click their link for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932538

+
    0 Votes
    tdendinger

I have already tried that and it failed. I have tried all updates and patches to XP, IE7, & Office 2003. Nothing has fixed it. IE 7 is junk period.

+
    0 Votes
    Pachego

I'm having the same problem. I've printed the same email from Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007. The text on the 2003 printout in tiny and the text on the 2007 printout in normal. Have you found a resolution yet?

+
    0 Votes
    Kr1s

[embarassed mode]

http://www.ccrane.com/images/medium/magnifying-glass.jpg

[/embarassed mode]

:)

+
    0 Votes
    david.buckley

THere is a fix available for the no headers issue.

Check it out here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931657

Unfortunately MS have not yet really really released the patch as you need to ring them first before you can get the patch.

DAVE

PS. I don't think that magnifying glass pictures are especially helpful at this point. Whilst very funny, having misleading titles kinda irritate when people such as myself are under pressure to resolve issues. (I'm just shitty cause there isn't a fix yet and I'm being hounded daily by people whinging at me and managers who won't let me stop the rollout of IE 7.0)

+
    0 Votes
    jakepancake

I've been having the same issues after IE7 install. Received the hotfix for no headers in Outlook but still stumped on tiny print in messages sent in HTML. Please someone post whether this has been resolved yet if you know. Sometimes people forget to follow up. Thanks!

+
    0 Votes
    mrstegs

The outlook hotfix only fixed the header problem, the small font issue persists.

+
    0 Votes
    dvanderbilt

Any word on a fix from MS yet?

+
    0 Votes
    tdendinger

If the managers are forcing you to roll out IE 7 and they know it is causing a problem, they're just asking for it. I've heard IE 8 Beta resolves it so you may want to try that on a "test system". Good luck.

+
    0 Votes
    wigginsm

I have noticed that all the emails that my users have given me with the small font print usually contain 1 or more replys to the original email. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, does anyone have a work around that keeps the html format?

• +
    0 Votes
    clifftayloruk

A number of users on my network have reported this issue since IE7 was rolled out in the last week or so. Uninstalling IE7 cures the problem, so that must be where the issue lies. I'm still investigating further and will post back here if I find anything more out.

+
    0 Votes
    lnbates

Yes, since I installed IE7, my outlook 2003 e-mail printing is being reduced to a very small font.

I have tried to go into print and page setup, but to no avail.

I guess I'll have to uninstall IE7...

Too bad...

If someone has a solution... please post..

Hammer... (can't touch this).

+
    0 Votes
    jfowler

You can disable font styles:
    Open Internet Options. On the general tab, click the Accessibility button. Check mark "Ignore font styles specified on webpages".

This will allow you to print headers on HTML emails.

+
    0 Votes
    greg

When you make this accessibility change you mess up the style sheets for the websites so the webpages you're viewing look distorted.

going back to the issue:

I've replicated this same issue with ie7 on several pc's now. As soon as internet explorer 7 is installed printing html emails in outlook is completely screwed up.

Its not all html emails however. It appears to be html emails formatted in previous versions of office... ie... office 2000 and office 2002 html authored emails printed with ie 7 are screwed up.

I've tested and confirmed the issue is with older versions of office and ie 7.

+
    0 Votes
    jens.dahmen

In Outlook go to Tools | Options... and on the Preferences Tab select "E-Mail Options..." and mark the "Read all mail in plain text" option. That will fix all formating issues and should enable you to print properly.

+
    0 Votes
    dawgit

a fairly typicle M$ / XP problem. It seems like almost every time M$ does an up-date of any kind I have the same problem (or Worse)
    A quick Question here? Is the Printer in question off an USB or the Print/Par-port? That does make a difference. I only have the problems on the par.port printer.
    My solutions always involve redoing the settings card for that printer. (Start/Printers and Faxes/Printer#x/Properties/-)
    Sometime times twice, (if it looks correct, change to something bogus, then redo as correct) that usally does it.

+
    0 Votes
    tony

In my cases - headers not being printed, I tried network printers (KPDL), PCL, a USB Epson and printing to PDF.

+
    0 Votes
    dawgit

That's not funny

+
    0 Votes
    tony

I have a customer with a similar problem, and can replicate it.

IE7, Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 server (running on SBS 2003)

Some incoming HTML emails will not print the headers at all.

If I convert the HTML mail to plain text (only option) and send it back to myself, the problem disappears; if I then convert the plain text mail to HTML and mail it back to myself, it prints perfectly.

Thus, it has to be either something in the incoming HTML mail or it doesn't happen for the internal domain.

The only clue I have is that the incoming HTML mails might contain extended character sets.

Printing the same emails from Outlook Web Access also shows the same problem - not surprising, because as far as I can tell, Outlook 2003 uses IE for printing of HTML mails (but not Plain or Rich Text). I deduced this a long time ago because if you print an email with a file attachment, plain text and rich text print the file attachment - icon and name, but HTML mails don't (but do from Outlook Express).

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

I've experienced both small font prints from HTML emails, plus no headers etc on others, all since ie7 install.

I've read on another forum that MS are aware of the problem and looking at a patch asap - hope so.

Def not printer related as I've tried all sorts, network Xerox's, local USB HP's, list of printers used is endless and all the same results from users with this problem.

+
    0 Votes
    jerrymeek

it seems that i also have this problem printing from map quest. most other sites print ok

+
    0 Votes
    Benyben6

Do you still have the link the that forum you're talking about?

A microsoft KB article would be nice too, if you have it.

Thanks!

+
    0 Votes
    slumsden

Yes I just deployed 25 new units w/Office 2003 SP2 w/ IE7 and it didn't take long for users to point out the problem.
    what up!!

S

+
    0 Votes
    yavarp

I found the same problem but it is random, in some mails only it prints very small fonts

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

You'll find the problem relates to emails sent in HTML format (rich and plain text emails are fine).

Anyone know if Microsoft have sorted a fix yet?

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

Still constantly watching out for updates from MS, but nothing yet...anyone have more info?

+
    0 Votes
    Benyben6

I had the same issue (emails print way too small, and no headers). This is with Outlook 2003

I was able to print e-mails fine after I did the following:
    -Tools, options
    -In preferences tab, click e-mail options...
    -Under Message Handling, check "Read all standard mail in plain text"
    -Restart oulook, and you should be able to print e-mails fine. Hopefully we'll be able to print in html soon.

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

I'm trying to "read all standard mail in plain text" option now...

+
    0 Votes
    witewolf1

It Works thanks.

+
    0 Votes
    swisstonihasher

Ends up email pages with graphics turn up as text (as it's being converted), that's the only problem...not really a problem for users in my firm. Thanks.

+
    0 Votes
    skaiblue

Microsoft has a beta hotfix available upon request but states that it also intends to include this global fix in its next service pack. Click their link for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932538

+
    0 Votes
    tdendinger

I have already tried that and it failed. I have tried all updates and patches to XP, IE7, & Office 2003. Nothing has fixed it. IE 7 is junk period.

+
    0 Votes
    Pachego

I'm having the same problem. I've printed the same email from Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007. The text on the 2003 printout in tiny and the text on the 2007 printout in normal. Have you found a resolution yet?

+
    0 Votes
    Kr1s

[embarassed mode]

http://www.ccrane.com/images/medium/magnifying-glass.jpg

[/embarassed mode]

+
    0 Votes
    david.buckley

THere is a fix available for the no headers issue.

Check it out here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931657

Unfortunately MS have not yet really really released the patch as you need to ring them first before you can get the patch.

DAVE

PS. I don't think that magnifying glass pictures are especially helpful at this point. Whilst very funny, having misleading titles kinda irritate when people such as myself are under pressure to resolve issues. (I'm just shitty cause there isn't a fix yet and I'm being hounded daily by people whinging at me and managers who won't let me stop the rollout of IE 7.0)

+
    0 Votes
    jakepancake

I've been having the same issues after IE7 install. Received the hotfix for no headers in Outlook but still stumped on tiny print in messages sent in HTML. Please someone post whether this has been resolved yet if you know. Sometimes people forget to follow up. Thanks!

+
    0 Votes
    mrstegs

The outlook hotfix only fixed the header problem, the small font issue persists.

+
    0 Votes
    dvanderbilt

Any word on a fix from MS yet?

+
    0 Votes
    tdendinger

If the managers are forcing you to roll out IE 7 and they know it is causing a problem, they're just asking for it. I've heard IE 8 Beta resolves it so you may want to try that on a "test system". Good luck.

+
    0 Votes
    wigginsm

I have noticed that all the emails that my users have given me with the small font print usually contain 1 or more replys to the original email. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, does anyone have a work around that keeps the html format?