Questions

Outlook XP/2003 printing problems small font size since IE7 update

+
0 Votes

Outlook XP/2003 printing problems small font size since IE7 update

swisstonihasher
Has anyone else experienced problems with random emails printing in small fonts from Outlook XP/2003?

No pattern seems to exist as an email from an external source can have the small font print problem (with no header) and yet the next email from them will be fine. If you copy and paste the email text (which "views" normally from Outlook) into word it prints normally.

On checking HTML settings for fonts, all users that have this issue are set the same as everyone else, ie medium text size.

Please let me know if you've experienced this...
Clarifications Clarifications
+
0 Votes
wigginsm
Collapse -

I have noticed that all the emails that my users have given me with the small font print usually contain 1 or more replys to the original email. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, does anyone have a work around that keeps the html format?

+
0 Votes
wigginsm
Collapse -

In researching this issue all morning, I found some information at http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2007/03/18/689883.aspx regarding an unpublished Microsoft Hot Fix KB 932538. This article does not exist on Microsoft's KB, but the hot fix does. I have applied it to a test machine and got improved results, however it did not give me the same font printout as emails that were not affected, but it was legible. It did still put in on 1 single page which may be a problem for long email threads.

+
0 Votes
mrstegs
Collapse -

Nice work.. but you are saying that the patch still shrunk the text to one page?

That's still no good for me, then.. the users that are affected are usually trying to print a back-and-forth chain of RE: emails that should normally stretch to several pages.

When I set their Outlook to plain text it works, but that's a lame fix. Nice work on finding the KB, maybe when it is released it will work better.

+
0 Votes
Toufikb
Collapse -

I called microsoft and stayed online for over an hour, i got the link for the hot fix concerning the outlook/IE7 print problem.

after installing it, the font became a little bigger, but still small 50 % compared to a normal printout.

the engineer told me to wait for a hot fix in the SP3 to be released in end of june/1st week of july........

another work-arround, open the email you want to print, hit reply to, print the email and close it, it should work like a charme

+
0 Votes
Toufikb
Collapse -

I called microsoft and stayed online for over an hour, i got the link for the hot fix concerning the outlook/IE7 print problem.

after installing it, the font became a little bigger, but still small 50 % compared to a normal printout.

the engineer told me to wait for a hot fix in the SP3 to be released in end of june/1st week of july........

another work-arround, open the email you want to print, hit reply to, print the email and close it, it should work like a charme

+
0 Votes
gkiss
Collapse -

Hi Guys,
one of our clients has this same problem, I did phone MS too, just to try to tell them that their hotfix is NOT resolving the problem....The parrot on the phone kept saying to me maybe they can resolve it if I go an pay ?199 for the first support instance....
Tried to put in those 4 reg keys manually: they did resolve the small print overall, but still, if the disclaimer was written in plain text, no wrapping, it cuts off half of it on the side.
Client said that printing in plain text isn`t satisfactory either, clicking on Reply or Frwd is too long....

+
0 Votes
wigginsm
Collapse -

In continuing my testing of the hot fix, I added more threads to my test emails and they did go to 2 pages when printed. It appears that the fix has set a font limit, perhaps 6pt or 8pt on the shrink to fit option. My testing did span over to 2 pages in around an 8pt font. In further review, I noticed that each of the test emails had a confidentiality statement that was being truncated even at 8pt. I initiated a reply on the email and removed the confidientiality stmt and then printed the email and it printed correctly in 12pt. Hope this information helps.

+
0 Votes
raphm
Collapse -

I called Microsoft Support several times about this issue and Customer Support is acting dumb about it. I finally insisted to talk to a support officer in the Outlook department who confirmed the fix is not yet available (that's only 4 months since IE 7 is out !!!) and was promised to be emailed with a hotfix as soon as it is available. Can I suggest we all call Microsoft support in order to speed up the process - grab your phones people and claim your fix !!!

+
0 Votes
ypcc
Collapse -

I was having the small font problem printing from aol webmail in IE7

Please see KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932538/en-us
Scroll down to the section "More Information" edit registry as specified. But you manually have to add the key. It worked for me without installing any hotfix.

Or;
Copy paste and save the following text to a .reg file and run it.
---

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_STF_Scale_Min]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000064

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_STF_Scale_Min]
"outlook.exe"=dword:00000064

"WinMail.exe"=dword:00000064

"Msimn.exe"=dword:00000064

---

+
0 Votes
tdendinger
Collapse -

The registry edit did not work nor has any of the hot fixes, none of the updates or service packs worked either.