Questions

Packard Bell Legend 300 cd, 60mhz: will it work with usb card?

+
0 Votes

Packard Bell Legend 300 cd, 60mhz: will it work with usb card?

paulnkathy
My Freind has a Packard Bell Legend 300 cd,60mhz that he will not give up. I am supposed to back it up weekly but it doesn't have a usb port. Can I safely install a two port usb card in his machine without burning it up? The data on his machine really is irreplaceable.
Paul
paulnkathy@hotmail.com
  • +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

Your probably better off using a network connection, or dare I say it, floppy disks?

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

remove your email address unless you like SPAM.

+
    0 Votes
    mjd420nova

No, I don't think that machine will support any USB at all, not even USB 1.0. The only approach might be as suggested, through a network back up.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

Packard Bell Legend 300 cd, 60mhz: will it work with usb card? to open it. If you look to the bottom of the post you will see an edit button. Click on that button and you will be able to remove the information.

<HR>
    <i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd

+
    0 Votes
    seanferd

backup to CD, though networked backup is probably your best bet.

If you must, slave a small HDD into the system for backup (if you can find one), but that could be damaged by anything that takes down the system.

Or get a tape drive - I put a Colorado Backup drive in my 3550.

edit: Just for fun, check out this upgrade story (second post):
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/upstory/pb520r.html

+
    0 Votes
    Werewolfmage

cd Burner would be the way to go in a old machine. Is he still using the old 420 mb hard drive. i used to own the same machine.

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

My favorite solution for performing a backup on most systems is to install a removable drive tray.

All you need is an open 5.25" drive bay, and a second frame to use with the backup computer. You can even use a USB to IDE adapter to connect to the second frame.

Or, you could install a slave drive in the removable tray and perform a disk to disk backup. If you install a second drive in a tray as a backup slave, make sure to use a cable select IDE cable and set both drives to cable select.

As to installing a USB card, does the computer have PCI slots?
    Is the OS at least Windows 98 SE?
    If the answer is no to either question, you cannot install a USB controller.
    Even if the system is running Windows 98 or Me, you may have trouble finding a USB card that has a driver for the older OS.

Chas

• +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

Your probably better off using a network connection, or dare I say it, floppy disks?

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

remove your email address unless you like SPAM.

+
    0 Votes
    mjd420nova

No, I don't think that machine will support any USB at all, not even USB 1.0. The only approach might be as suggested, through a network back up.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

Packard Bell Legend 300 cd, 60mhz: will it work with usb card? to open it. If you look to the bottom of the post you will see an edit button. Click on that button and you will be able to remove the information.

<HR>
    <i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i> :-bd

+
    0 Votes
    seanferd

backup to CD, though networked backup is probably your best bet.

If you must, slave a small HDD into the system for backup (if you can find one), but that could be damaged by anything that takes down the system.

Or get a tape drive - I put a Colorado Backup drive in my 3550.

edit: Just for fun, check out this upgrade story (second post):
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/upstory/pb520r.html

+
    0 Votes
    Werewolfmage

cd Burner would be the way to go in a old machine. Is he still using the old 420 mb hard drive. i used to own the same machine.

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

My favorite solution for performing a backup on most systems is to install a removable drive tray.

All you need is an open 5.25" drive bay, and a second frame to use with the backup computer. You can even use a USB to IDE adapter to connect to the second frame.

Or, you could install a slave drive in the removable tray and perform a disk to disk backup. If you install a second drive in a tray as a backup slave, make sure to use a cable select IDE cable and set both drives to cable select.

As to installing a USB card, does the computer have PCI slots?
    Is the OS at least Windows 98 SE?
    If the answer is no to either question, you cannot install a USB controller.
    Even if the system is running Windows 98 or Me, you may have trouble finding a USB card that has a driver for the older OS.

Chas