the keyboard but without success. Is there anybody with experience of
keyboard removal on this make and model willing to advise me on exactly how
to safely and without causing further damage remove the keyboard so that I
can clean up the remaining mess ?
TIA for any help offered
  • +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

So whether you cause further damage (to the keyboard) or not, it will be of no consequence. Once any sugary liquid gets into a laptop keyboard (which is usually a [badly] sealed unit), the sugar permeates between the three layers of plastic that form the control circuit for the keyboard. If it were a standard keyboard from a desktop PC, you could take the keyboard casing apart and separate the plastic sheets by gently peeling the printed ciruit apart, then attempt to clean off the goo. But due to the miniaturisation and intricacy of a laptop keyboard you stand more chance of wrecking whatever functionality remains as repairing the already damaged keys.

Also, laptop keys DO NOT pop off and then back on again. Once they're off, they're usually off for good.

For replacement you'll be looking for one of these:
    http://www.pc-mob.com/popup_image.php?pID=1218&osCsid=112da4a75e9122b270946e8f02313c06

In order to remove the keyboard assembly (one single piece) you'll have to unscrew the deeply-recessed screws on the underside of the chassis, in order to be able to lift the top fascia away from the laptop. Usually there is a segmented join at the back of the keyboard (another faceplate) towards the hinges. This section tends to retain the keyboard as well as the top fascia.

Look for subtle seams on either side of the rear fascia - sometimes there are sliding pieces that come off sideways to reveal securing screws. Otherwise you should examine the rear faceplate (at the back with the lid closed) looking for well camouflaged retaining screws.

However you achieve it (carefully preferably) once you have gained access to the keyboard, you then must trace the ribbon cable (see picture above) back to where it slides into its mounting position on the laptop motherboard. These ribbon cables are invariably held in place by a wedge-shaped clip that DOES NOT COME OFF!! All you are supposed to do is lift it up to free the ribbon cable, which will then slide up and out very easily.

If you snap either end of that wedge-shaped clip reconnecting the new ribbon cable could prove very very difficult indeed.

Whether you find an illustrated guide for disassembly or not, the watchword is to TAKE CARE - BE GENTLE!

No matter how sturdy you may think a laptop seems to be, when you begin to disassemble it you suddenly will realise all the component parts are construced of very flimsy plastic - which can snap in a light breeze.

+
    0 Votes
    El Plates

Yes I am a Pro...and don't need an idiot's guide

• +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

So whether you cause further damage (to the keyboard) or not, it will be of no consequence. Once any sugary liquid gets into a laptop keyboard (which is usually a [badly] sealed unit), the sugar permeates between the three layers of plastic that form the control circuit for the keyboard. If it were a standard keyboard from a desktop PC, you could take the keyboard casing apart and separate the plastic sheets by gently peeling the printed ciruit apart, then attempt to clean off the goo. But due to the miniaturisation and intricacy of a laptop keyboard you stand more chance of wrecking whatever functionality remains as repairing the already damaged keys.

Also, laptop keys DO NOT pop off and then back on again. Once they're off, they're usually off for good.

For replacement you'll be looking for one of these:
    http://www.pc-mob.com/popup_image.php?pID=1218&osCsid=112da4a75e9122b270946e8f02313c06

In order to remove the keyboard assembly (one single piece) you'll have to unscrew the deeply-recessed screws on the underside of the chassis, in order to be able to lift the top fascia away from the laptop. Usually there is a segmented join at the back of the keyboard (another faceplate) towards the hinges. This section tends to retain the keyboard as well as the top fascia.

Look for subtle seams on either side of the rear fascia - sometimes there are sliding pieces that come off sideways to reveal securing screws. Otherwise you should examine the rear faceplate (at the back with the lid closed) looking for well camouflaged retaining screws.

However you achieve it (carefully preferably) once you have gained access to the keyboard, you then must trace the ribbon cable (see picture above) back to where it slides into its mounting position on the laptop motherboard. These ribbon cables are invariably held in place by a wedge-shaped clip that DOES NOT COME OFF!! All you are supposed to do is lift it up to free the ribbon cable, which will then slide up and out very easily.

If you snap either end of that wedge-shaped clip reconnecting the new ribbon cable could prove very very difficult indeed.

Whether you find an illustrated guide for disassembly or not, the watchword is to TAKE CARE - BE GENTLE!

No matter how sturdy you may think a laptop seems to be, when you begin to disassemble it you suddenly will realise all the component parts are construced of very flimsy plastic - which can snap in a light breeze.

+
    0 Votes
    El Plates

Yes I am a Pro...and don't need an idiot's guide