Questions

Physical disk limitations in Windows Server 2003 SP2

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Physical disk limitations in Windows Server 2003 SP2

NaughtyMonkey
I have a server with Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 with 6 SATA drives and 1 IDE connected on the board and 4 SATA in a RAID array on a card. It only sees 5 drives total. Is there a disk limit in Server 2003 Standard? I can't find anything online but would like to know before I try to upgrade it to Enterprise.

All the disks are good and if I disconnect some, the others show up. All display in the BIOS so the board sees them.
  • +
    0 Votes
    NormH3

First of all, and I apologize if you already know this, the 4 SATA in RAID will not show as individual disks. My assumption is that they are configured as a RAID5 virtual disk.

Secondly, are you looking for the drives under MYCOMPUTER or are you browsing to 'Computer Management' under 'Administrative Tools'?

+
    0 Votes
    NaughtyMonkey

in the BIOS. Only 5 show up in Disk Management. If I disconnect one, one of the missing ones will show up. I am aware that the RAID volume will display as one. The total Windows should see is 8 drives, but it only sees 5.

I know it limits memory for each edition, but never heard of it limiting physical drives. Was hoping someone could shed some light on it. I have already reinstalled once and I will be trying to upgrade to Enterprise to see if it makes a difference. I may have never tried to put more than 5 drives in a Standard install.

+
    0 Votes
    NormH3

It's almost as if several of the disks are assigned the same drive letter by the OS. When you remove one, the other shows up.

As far as I know there is no limitation of the number of spindles that 2003 server can identify and if there is, it's probably some ridiculously high number.

• +
    0 Votes
    NormH3

First of all, and I apologize if you already know this, the 4 SATA in RAID will not show as individual disks. My assumption is that they are configured as a RAID5 virtual disk.

Secondly, are you looking for the drives under MYCOMPUTER or are you browsing to 'Computer Management' under 'Administrative Tools'?

+
    0 Votes
    NaughtyMonkey

in the BIOS. Only 5 show up in Disk Management. If I disconnect one, one of the missing ones will show up. I am aware that the RAID volume will display as one. The total Windows should see is 8 drives, but it only sees 5.

I know it limits memory for each edition, but never heard of it limiting physical drives. Was hoping someone could shed some light on it. I have already reinstalled once and I will be trying to upgrade to Enterprise to see if it makes a difference. I may have never tried to put more than 5 drives in a Standard install.

+
    0 Votes
    NormH3

It's almost as if several of the disks are assigned the same drive letter by the OS. When you remove one, the other shows up.

As far as I know there is no limitation of the number of spindles that 2003 server can identify and if there is, it's probably some ridiculously high number.