Questions

Printer Problem is driving me crazy...Error 1068

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Printer Problem is driving me crazy...Error 1068

Ryder77
I'm trying to install a printer for a friend of mine on her laptop. I'm not sure of the Printer Model or Serial Number, but I think this may be a Lexmark Software problem and not Hardware related. Whenever we plug in the USB Printer, we kept getting the error "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running".

When we go to 'control panel / Adminstrative tools / services' to start/activate the spooler, we receive an error stating "Could not start the print spooler service on Local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

I tried to get her to change the Dependencies by going into the Command Prompt and typing:
"sc config spooler depend= RPCSS"
"net start spooler"

But continued getting the same Error 1068. But she may have typed it wrong. So I wrote a registry file containing the changes to set the Spooler to depend on just the Remote Procedure Call as follows:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler]
"DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,50,00,43,00,53,00,53,00,00,00,68,00,74,00,74,00,\

When she rebooted the computer and checked services.msc, the printer spooler was running and we continued to install the printer without any problems. However, once she unplugged the printer from the laptop, and then plugged it back in at a later time, the printer stopped working again. Is there a patch or workaround to fix this or will we have to change the Spooler Dependencies everytime she wants to use the printer?
  • +
    0 Votes
    PSer

You may be correct in assuming this could be a Lexmark Software issue. I'll bet you used the install cd to initially set up the printer, didn't you? I've ran in to several problems doing that. If you did this, uninstall everything that disk installed before proceeding. When dealing with Lexmark printers nowadays, I kill the autostart when I insert the cd, go to printers (Control Panel or off the 'Start' Menu) and go through the install wizard and navigate to the printer driver .inf file. Sometimes less is more ...

As far as the dependencies of the print spooler service, make sure it is set to Automatic start up as well as the associated dependencies. Which I am sure you have checked but thought I should throw that in just in case.

Don't know if this will help but Much Luck to in any case!

+
    0 Votes
    magicmunch1

Lexmark has an issue with there print spooler. Go to a command prompt and copy and paste this in or just type it in.

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Should resolve your issue

+
    0 Votes
    gobluejpg

Thanks for the somewhat easy but quite elusive answer to fixing this problem. You may want to make sure to let everyone know that you need a space after the = sign for command to work correctly.

Thanks Again.

+
    0 Votes
    lisastofer

I have run the:
    sc config spooler depend=rpcss
    with no results....
    I can't restart the printer spooler in services no matter what I have tried. I can't now have an hp desk jet 5940 and I was able to print for months with no glitches and then bam....this printer spooler issue.

I have run diagnostic program after program and while they have fixed a number of other issues that cropped up,,,I still am without printer......

HELP...

• +
    0 Votes
    PSer

You may be correct in assuming this could be a Lexmark Software issue. I'll bet you used the install cd to initially set up the printer, didn't you? I've ran in to several problems doing that. If you did this, uninstall everything that disk installed before proceeding. When dealing with Lexmark printers nowadays, I kill the autostart when I insert the cd, go to printers (Control Panel or off the 'Start' Menu) and go through the install wizard and navigate to the printer driver .inf file. Sometimes less is more ...

As far as the dependencies of the print spooler service, make sure it is set to Automatic start up as well as the associated dependencies. Which I am sure you have checked but thought I should throw that in just in case.

Don't know if this will help but Much Luck to in any case!

+
    0 Votes
    magicmunch1

Lexmark has an issue with there print spooler. Go to a command prompt and copy and paste this in or just type it in.

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Should resolve your issue

+
    0 Votes
    gobluejpg

Thanks for the somewhat easy but quite elusive answer to fixing this problem. You may want to make sure to let everyone know that you need a space after the = sign for command to work correctly.

Thanks Again.

+
    0 Votes
    lisastofer

I have run the:
    sc config spooler depend=rpcss
    with no results....
    I can't restart the printer spooler in services no matter what I have tried. I can't now have an hp desk jet 5940 and I was able to print for months with no glitches and then bam....this printer spooler issue.

I have run diagnostic program after program and while they have fixed a number of other issues that cropped up,,,I still am without printer......

HELP...