Questions

Printer Spooler Error 1068: My Print spooler is down HELP!!!

+
0 Votes

Printer Spooler Error 1068: My Print spooler is down HELP!!!

fcui21
I have Windows XP on this Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop that is getting this error. I have already done some research and have uninstalled all printers. When attempting to add a printer, I receive an error stating "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running". When I go to 'control panel / Adminstrative tools / services' to start/activate the spooler, I receive an error stating "Could not start the print spooler service on Local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start". Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks and God Bless!
  • +
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

A 1068 is a service dependency error. Print Spooler can't start because it thinks a service it depends on is not running.

shortcut: start-run-"services.msc"

Go into services and check its dependencies, it should just be the RPC service, which you shouldn't be able to stop, check that RPC is running

Double click print spooler and click the dependencies tab. See if there are any other dependencies set besides rpc. If so you will want to find them in services and make sure they are set to automatic and are running (will probably need to start them).

Then try to start "Print Spooler" service, should work. May need to reinstall printer drivers then.

One other possibility that I can think of would involve a DLL that needs to be registered but try the above first. What brand and model of printer are you using?

+
    0 Votes
    Ryder77

When Lexmark printer software is installed, oftentimes it installs a service
    (I believe it's called LEXBCS) upon which the Print Spooler service becomes
    dependent instead of being dependent on the Remote Procedure Call service
    (RPCSS). Unfortunately, when you uninstall the printer software the service
    dependency does not revert back to RPCSS.

To change the dependency back to RPCSS, open a command prompt window and key
    in the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command (it may take a
    few second for each command to be successfully processed):

net stop spooler
    sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
    net start spooler
    exit

+
    0 Votes
    tiffaneyowens

Thank you for your instructions. They worked great!!!

+
    0 Votes
    iredele

I heed help on this issue. I have been on it for 3 weeks.

When I run printer spool service, I get error 2

+
    0 Votes
    actearly

Thank you. Your desc. helped.

John

+
    0 Votes
    spaulk

Your information fixed the error 1068 problem that I had been working on for hours. I can't tell you how grateful I am.

+
    0 Votes
    lightboi2000

my command prompt says net is not a command sc is not a command spooler is

+
    0 Votes
    lightboi2000

never mind on my question i accidentally opended command.exe instead of command prompt

+
    0 Votes
    raggedtelecaster

Thanks Ryder77,
    I've been fighting this for days and your solution fixed the issue.
    John - Cols Ohio

+
    0 Votes
    glorybound9

I had this problem once before when I uninstalled a Lexmark printer, but couldn't solve it except by reinstalled the Lexmark driver. This time I could see LEXBCS as a dependency and your solution worked perfectly. Lexmark print drivers should be classified as a malware, imho.

+
    0 Votes
    Adam.Weisshaupt

No one was able to solve this problem for me so far, and here you are. Three simple commands and it's all good. Thank you a thousand times!

+
    0 Votes
    snazaire

I must admit that solution you provided was very immpressive. I wish Microsoft had some resources like you in their Support staff.

+
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

Just curious... what exactly corrected your issue?

+
    0 Votes
    mloehndorf

thanks you so much for your help, you are the only one that could sove my problem

+
    0 Votes
    worthos1

Thanks ever so much for your words of wisdom... it worked... finally... after much searching... your concise and clear instructions were obviously what I needed to get me over the hurdle.

You are a Legend!!!!

+
    0 Votes
    tfunke2004

easy as 1 2 3 turn on the programs that depend on each other to run the print spooling service and its good to go, make sure they are running if you use msconfig to run the system tweaks.

+
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

What was the resolution?

+
    0 Votes
    spin1060

None of the steps in the threads worked for me. I kept trying to START the Print Spooler to no avail..It just would not work!

However, if all these steps in previous threads of this FORUM do not work for you, TRY THIS.....

IT WAS A "GOD SEND" TO ME and I was able to resolve by following the steps outlined on the link below:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:204:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS816&relevance=1

+
    0 Votes
    juanito282

Hey just make sure that all printer item are enabled in services and start up in msconfig, than go to services.msc in the run cmd and restart spooler, that will resolve that issue.

+
    0 Votes
    redstampus

thanks

+
    0 Votes
    ashily24dee

There are several ways to resolve printer spooler error, probably because there are many variations of this error.

The error caused by faulty software can be resolved by deleting all the information found in the directory.

Thereafter, navigate to the Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools and then services icon.

Find the service labeled Print Spooler, highlight it and restart the process. If that doesn???t work, the program

might be corrupted.

Click on start, then Run. Search for the document labeled services.msc, and this will trigger the opening of another

window.

On this window, scroll down and click ???Print Spooler???. Check its setting and turn on automatic mode.

Click Okay, and restart the machine. If you???re lucky, this might be all you have to do.

Still doesn???t work? Navigate to the Add/Remove Programs screen of the Control Panel.

Find the all the software responsible for making the printer run including the drivers, and uninstall them. Be sure

to be thorough about it, or the problem may not be solved.

Download the latest copy of your printer???s software from the manufacturer and reinstall it. for more information and help...............
    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/68459#2

• +
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

A 1068 is a service dependency error. Print Spooler can't start because it thinks a service it depends on is not running.

shortcut: start-run-"services.msc"

Go into services and check its dependencies, it should just be the RPC service, which you shouldn't be able to stop, check that RPC is running

Double click print spooler and click the dependencies tab. See if there are any other dependencies set besides rpc. If so you will want to find them in services and make sure they are set to automatic and are running (will probably need to start them).

Then try to start "Print Spooler" service, should work. May need to reinstall printer drivers then.

One other possibility that I can think of would involve a DLL that needs to be registered but try the above first. What brand and model of printer are you using?

+
    0 Votes
    Ryder77

When Lexmark printer software is installed, oftentimes it installs a service
    (I believe it's called LEXBCS) upon which the Print Spooler service becomes
    dependent instead of being dependent on the Remote Procedure Call service
    (RPCSS). Unfortunately, when you uninstall the printer software the service
    dependency does not revert back to RPCSS.

To change the dependency back to RPCSS, open a command prompt window and key
    in the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command (it may take a
    few second for each command to be successfully processed):

net stop spooler
    sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
    net start spooler
    exit

+
    0 Votes
    tiffaneyowens

Thank you for your instructions. They worked great!!!

+
    0 Votes
    iredele

I heed help on this issue. I have been on it for 3 weeks.

When I run printer spool service, I get error 2

+
    0 Votes
    actearly

Thank you. Your desc. helped.

John

+
    0 Votes
    spaulk

Your information fixed the error 1068 problem that I had been working on for hours. I can't tell you how grateful I am.

+
    0 Votes
    lightboi2000

my command prompt says net is not a command sc is not a command spooler is

+
    0 Votes
    lightboi2000

never mind on my question i accidentally opended command.exe instead of command prompt

+
    0 Votes
    raggedtelecaster

Thanks Ryder77,
    I've been fighting this for days and your solution fixed the issue.
    John - Cols Ohio

+
    0 Votes
    glorybound9

I had this problem once before when I uninstalled a Lexmark printer, but couldn't solve it except by reinstalled the Lexmark driver. This time I could see LEXBCS as a dependency and your solution worked perfectly. Lexmark print drivers should be classified as a malware, imho.

+
    0 Votes
    Adam.Weisshaupt

No one was able to solve this problem for me so far, and here you are. Three simple commands and it's all good. Thank you a thousand times!

+
    0 Votes
    snazaire

I must admit that solution you provided was very immpressive. I wish Microsoft had some resources like you in their Support staff.

+
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

Just curious... what exactly corrected your issue?

+
    0 Votes
    mloehndorf

thanks you so much for your help, you are the only one that could sove my problem

+
    0 Votes
    worthos1

Thanks ever so much for your words of wisdom... it worked... finally... after much searching... your concise and clear instructions were obviously what I needed to get me over the hurdle.

You are a Legend!!!!

+
    0 Votes
    tfunke2004

easy as 1 2 3 turn on the programs that depend on each other to run the print spooling service and its good to go, make sure they are running if you use msconfig to run the system tweaks.

+
    0 Votes
    CaptBilly1Eye

What was the resolution?

+
    0 Votes
    spin1060

None of the steps in the threads worked for me. I kept trying to START the Print Spooler to no avail..It just would not work!

However, if all these steps in previous threads of this FORUM do not work for you, TRY THIS.....

IT WAS A "GOD SEND" TO ME and I was able to resolve by following the steps outlined on the link below:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:204:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS816&relevance=1

+
    0 Votes
    juanito282

Hey just make sure that all printer item are enabled in services and start up in msconfig, than go to services.msc in the run cmd and restart spooler, that will resolve that issue.

+
    0 Votes
    redstampus

thanks

+
    0 Votes
    ashily24dee

There are several ways to resolve printer spooler error, probably because there are many variations of this error.

The error caused by faulty software can be resolved by deleting all the information found in the directory.

Thereafter, navigate to the Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools and then services icon.

Find the service labeled Print Spooler, highlight it and restart the process. If that doesn???t work, the program

might be corrupted.

Click on start, then Run. Search for the document labeled services.msc, and this will trigger the opening of another

window.

On this window, scroll down and click ???Print Spooler???. Check its setting and turn on automatic mode.

Click Okay, and restart the machine. If you???re lucky, this might be all you have to do.

Still doesn???t work? Navigate to the Add/Remove Programs screen of the Control Panel.

Find the all the software responsible for making the printer run including the drivers, and uninstall them. Be sure

to be thorough about it, or the problem may not be solved.

Download the latest copy of your printer???s software from the manufacturer and reinstall it. for more information and help...............
    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/68459#2