Questions

Problems Connecting Dell Optiplex 150 to Aironet 1150 WAP

Tags:
+
0 Votes
Locked

Problems Connecting Dell Optiplex 150 to Aironet 1150 WAP

j2will
I am a PC tech for a local school district and I have a problem that I have spent the last two months on trying to resolve . . .to no avail.

I have a lab with 20 Dell Optiplex 150s that use the Dell TrueMobile 1300 Wireless USB adapter to connect to an Cisco Aironet 1150 WAP. The computers are running Windows XP. The wireless adapter driver has been loaded into the computers.

The WAP is set to WEP encryption with MAC filtering. All the MAC addresses for the USB adapters have been entered into the WAP.

All computers use to connect to the WAP. Two computers had to be reimaged and with XP with SP3. Since reimaging I cannot get them to connect to the WAP. The computers that still connect do not have SP3 on them. The reimaged computers recognize the AP and get 5 bars of signal from it. The computers start the DHCP download process but do not finish it and time out. The computers end up with a CIDR address and "limited or no connectivity" message.

I have tried moving the TrueMobile adapter to various postions, removing and reinstalling the adpater driver, and totally reimaging the computer. These 2 computers will not even connect using a static IP address and DNS & gateway addresses.

Does anyone know what I can do to get these pesky systems running?

Thank you for your help. It will be greatly appreciated.

The settings on these two computers are exactly the same as those that were not reifmaged and still connect.
  • +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

    SP3 has some new services and by default they are set to "Manual" operation.

    These two are your guilty parties:

    - Extensible Authentication Protocol Service
    - Network Access Protection Agent

    A quick fix is to set them to run automatically.

    Since you're using WEP and not EAP, my guess is that there is an 'advanced' tab in the network adapter properties that says 'Use 802.1X authentication'.

    If you're using WEP, and not 802.1x (EAP), then it should work if you uncheck that box.

  • +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

    SP3 has some new services and by default they are set to "Manual" operation.

    These two are your guilty parties:

    - Extensible Authentication Protocol Service
    - Network Access Protection Agent

    A quick fix is to set them to run automatically.

    Since you're using WEP and not EAP, my guess is that there is an 'advanced' tab in the network adapter properties that says 'Use 802.1X authentication'.

    If you're using WEP, and not 802.1x (EAP), then it should work if you uncheck that box.