Questions

Radeon x1950 fullscreen failure after vista upgrade

+
0 Votes

Radeon x1950 fullscreen failure after vista upgrade

welshboi82
Well, I'm tired of dealing with Dell on this issue so thought I would ask some people that seem to know what they are doing.

I decided to give in and upgrade to vista (after the disc sitting on my shelf for months) and am now having a problem with my Radeon x1950 Crossfire (though I am not running it in crossfire mode at the moment, it doesn't solve the problem by switching it on either...before you ask :D).

I have a Dell XPS710. The problem is thus, when I try to run anything in full-screen (such as a game or windows media center) the screen just flashes between a black blank screen and the program itself. But am unable to use the program.

When I go to the task manager I can see the program in the background without it blinking, but when I try to click on the program it starts blinking again. It happens in all screen resolutions.

I've tried the latest dell drivers and the latest ATI drivers and have the same problem. I've tried a combination of the Dell video driver and the ATI catalyst program and vice-versa to no result.

The only time I got it to work was the first time I installed the Dell Drivers, it worked great, until I rebooted and the problem returned.

There are no device conflicts listed in the device manager and my bios drivers are up to date.

I include below some of the contents of dxdiag to make it easier for you to get an idea of my setup. Any help to get my video card working would be most appreciated.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/4/2007, 08:44:37
Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
System Model: Dell XPS710
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 1.4.0
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2812MB RAM
Page File: 731MB used, 5088MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Radeon X1950 CrossFire Edition
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7240)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 1661 MB
Dedicated Memory: 510 MB
Shared Memory: 1150 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Dell E228WFP
Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.dat,atitmmxx.dll
Driver Version: 7.14.0010.0503 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/13/2007 13:07:06, 2861056 bytes
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
  • +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You say you've used combinations of Dell and Catalyst drivers. I just wondered if you'd checked for the latest 'Vista ATI' drivers?

If not, try this link:

http://www.vista-driver.org/query/486/radeon_x1950_crossfire_edition_

It might help.

+
    0 Votes

Yes

welshboi82

Yes, I have tried both Dell and ATI drivers already.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Not ATI drivers - Vista ATI drivers.

+
    0 Votes
    welshboi82

Misread your original reply. Downloading them now, should they really be 88mb? Seems harsh for a driver.

+
    0 Votes
    welshboi82

...having problem

+
    0 Votes

I am going to have a guess and say that the "direct X" might be at fault here, you might have more than one "Direct X" on your system. Try and delete the "Direct X" and re-install, or downgrade to "Direct X 9" (if possible). I hope this works for you. Please post back if you have more problems.

+
    0 Votes
    ejdavis

Wow have you found a solution yet? I've got the exact same problem.

When in windows or playing a game I will get an intermittent black screen and then back to what I am doing. I have an ATI X1950XTX Crossfire installed with an ATI X1950XTX. I get the same problem when I turn crossfire off. I've even tried restoring my original ghost image (clean vista install) to see if it fixed the problem but with no luck. I have never overclocked these and they are only 2 months old. Catalyst Centre says they are running at 67 degrees. They are connected to a Dell Ultra Sharp 1908FP DVI monitor tried at 60/70/75Hz refresh rate.

I have a complete ATI certified system.

Vista Business
    Core2 E6600
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    1x ATI X1950XTX Crossfire
    1x ATI X1950XTX
    2GB DDR2 1066Mhz Ram
    Enermax ATI Crossfire Certified Power Supply 650Watts
    Antec P180 ATI Crossfire Certified Cooling Case

ATI support gave me the stupidest things to try I guess I'll try sending the Mastercard back under warranty because I can't see it being software or drivers.

+
    0 Votes
    rainmaker

I have a new single Powercolor X1950 Pro 512MB AGP card, using Catalyst 7.7 drivers on XP Pro SP2. It's been working fine for about a week. The PSU is also new, Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W (dual 12V rails, 18A each). The card is powered by one of the 6-pin PCIe plugs. Last night, all of a sudden, it started doing this blank screen thing, during full screen video playback, and also when in Half-Life 2, strangely, usually during the loading screens - the game itself did play OK except for one or two blank outs I think. Typically it will blank out, then return, blank, return, blank, return etc. Once it hung completely and I had to reboot. Very frustrating since it's brand new. I don't think it's the drivers because if I recall correctly, it blanked out during a Ghost session (i.e. DOS). And I would have thought the PSU was adequate. Any ideas?

+
    0 Votes
    ejdavis

Well I broke down and ended up contacting ATI support via: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
    A tech replied to my post (about 2 hours) much quicker than I thought and said to send my card back to ATI for warranty right away for a replacement because it was a hardware related issue. I wasn't too keen on paying for the shipping to send the card but they paid the return trip and replaced my card with a brand new one within approx 1 day. If your card is under store purchased warranty take it back, otherwise I think you'll have to end up shipping it away like I did. Good Luck.

• +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You say you've used combinations of Dell and Catalyst drivers. I just wondered if you'd checked for the latest 'Vista ATI' drivers?

If not, try this link:

http://www.vista-driver.org/query/486/radeon_x1950_crossfire_edition_

It might help.

+
    0 Votes

Yes

welshboi82

Yes, I have tried both Dell and ATI drivers already.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Not ATI drivers - Vista ATI drivers.

+
    0 Votes
    welshboi82

Misread your original reply. Downloading them now, should they really be 88mb? Seems harsh for a driver.

+
    0 Votes
    welshboi82

...having problem

+
    0 Votes

I am going to have a guess and say that the "direct X" might be at fault here, you might have more than one "Direct X" on your system. Try and delete the "Direct X" and re-install, or downgrade to "Direct X 9" (if possible). I hope this works for you. Please post back if you have more problems.

+
    0 Votes
    ejdavis

Wow have you found a solution yet? I've got the exact same problem.

When in windows or playing a game I will get an intermittent black screen and then back to what I am doing. I have an ATI X1950XTX Crossfire installed with an ATI X1950XTX. I get the same problem when I turn crossfire off. I've even tried restoring my original ghost image (clean vista install) to see if it fixed the problem but with no luck. I have never overclocked these and they are only 2 months old. Catalyst Centre says they are running at 67 degrees. They are connected to a Dell Ultra Sharp 1908FP DVI monitor tried at 60/70/75Hz refresh rate.

I have a complete ATI certified system.

Vista Business
    Core2 E6600
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    1x ATI X1950XTX Crossfire
    1x ATI X1950XTX
    2GB DDR2 1066Mhz Ram
    Enermax ATI Crossfire Certified Power Supply 650Watts
    Antec P180 ATI Crossfire Certified Cooling Case

ATI support gave me the stupidest things to try I guess I'll try sending the Mastercard back under warranty because I can't see it being software or drivers.

+
    0 Votes
    rainmaker

I have a new single Powercolor X1950 Pro 512MB AGP card, using Catalyst 7.7 drivers on XP Pro SP2. It's been working fine for about a week. The PSU is also new, Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W (dual 12V rails, 18A each). The card is powered by one of the 6-pin PCIe plugs. Last night, all of a sudden, it started doing this blank screen thing, during full screen video playback, and also when in Half-Life 2, strangely, usually during the loading screens - the game itself did play OK except for one or two blank outs I think. Typically it will blank out, then return, blank, return, blank, return etc. Once it hung completely and I had to reboot. Very frustrating since it's brand new. I don't think it's the drivers because if I recall correctly, it blanked out during a Ghost session (i.e. DOS). And I would have thought the PSU was adequate. Any ideas?

+
    0 Votes
    ejdavis

Well I broke down and ended up contacting ATI support via: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
    A tech replied to my post (about 2 hours) much quicker than I thought and said to send my card back to ATI for warranty right away for a replacement because it was a hardware related issue. I wasn't too keen on paying for the shipping to send the card but they paid the return trip and replaced my card with a brand new one within approx 1 day. If your card is under store purchased warranty take it back, otherwise I think you'll have to end up shipping it away like I did. Good Luck.