Questions

Rebooting of Windows 2003 servers

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Rebooting of Windows 2003 servers

jcmoffitt
In days gone by I have had to set up reboot schedules to "refresh" resources on Windows servers. Some companies have a policy on this and some do not. I am contracting for a college that is a 24x7 shop and rebooting servers only happens during planned or emergency maintenance. Is there a definitive answer (white paper) that discusses the need to reboot Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers? Has the need to reboot servers to reclaim memory resources become a thing of the past? The "opinion" of one of my co workers is that it is no longer necessary to do this practice. I am not finding anything by searching on this at Google.... Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • +
    0 Votes

More info on Microsoft web site about your question. Can not copy it here, it is 20 pages long.

+
    0 Votes
    husnk3w02

That reply wasn't helpful at all ... where is this supposed knowledge base article or whitepaper or other information about this subject? Give the link to Microsoft's site, the title of the article, the path to drill down to find it ... something ... anything!

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

"normally" note I said normally, you don't have to or should have to, reboot your servers unless required by updates, security patches, service packs,or application installation that requires one. If anything, there are blended threats that only initiate themselves when there is a reboot so putting servers on a reboot schedule can initiate a infection or security breach.

In the "old" days, admins rebooted servers to reclaim memory when there wasn't a lot of free physical memory. Since server performance is typically for background services and those services often have dependencies, the more services running the less free memory. Services don't automatically turn themselves off so over time, running services accumulate and this chews up resource, so admins rebooted servers to get rid of unnecessary background services and their dependencies.

Better course of action is to determine what services aren't actually needed to run on the server and disable them, thus freeing up physical memory and system resources.

• +
    0 Votes

More info on Microsoft web site about your question. Can not copy it here, it is 20 pages long.

+
    0 Votes
    husnk3w02

That reply wasn't helpful at all ... where is this supposed knowledge base article or whitepaper or other information about this subject? Give the link to Microsoft's site, the title of the article, the path to drill down to find it ... something ... anything!

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

"normally" note I said normally, you don't have to or should have to, reboot your servers unless required by updates, security patches, service packs,or application installation that requires one. If anything, there are blended threats that only initiate themselves when there is a reboot so putting servers on a reboot schedule can initiate a infection or security breach.

In the "old" days, admins rebooted servers to reclaim memory when there wasn't a lot of free physical memory. Since server performance is typically for background services and those services often have dependencies, the more services running the less free memory. Services don't automatically turn themselves off so over time, running services accumulate and this chews up resource, so admins rebooted servers to get rid of unnecessary background services and their dependencies.

Better course of action is to determine what services aren't actually needed to run on the server and disable them, thus freeing up physical memory and system resources.