Questions

Renumbering subheadings on TOC on MS-Word 2007?

+
0 Votes

Renumbering subheadings on TOC on MS-Word 2007?

nedsnow
Word 2007 continues the subheading numbering when I create a TOC; e.g., Heading I has three subheadings A,B,C, so Heading II begins with D rather than starting a new A. How do I get it to restart the numbering?

Also the TOC will not reflect all the levels that I've created. How to fix?
  • +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Highlight the whole TOC and right click. Choose bullets and numbering. Select the pattern you want, then click customize. You should see the options available. On the little right side window, click on the A level, then make sure the options say to start at A.

Also, the TOC is created based on formatting of headers within the document. If your TOC is not picking up all levels or missing some of them, check the format of the missing ones from within the document by highlighting them and looking to make sure they're formatted as "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc... Once that's done, right click the TOC and tell it to update entire thing.

• +
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Highlight the whole TOC and right click. Choose bullets and numbering. Select the pattern you want, then click customize. You should see the options available. On the little right side window, click on the A level, then make sure the options say to start at A.

Also, the TOC is created based on formatting of headers within the document. If your TOC is not picking up all levels or missing some of them, check the format of the missing ones from within the document by highlighting them and looking to make sure they're formatted as "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc... Once that's done, right click the TOC and tell it to update entire thing.