Questions

SBS 2003 cannot join domain and licensing issue

Tags:
+
0 Votes

SBS 2003 cannot join domain and licensing issue

matthew.butler
we have a sbs 2003 which is our domain controller. we are going to be purchasing a new server machine to run all of our sql databases from. sbs wont join an existing sbs domain as it has to itself be a master domain controller. We need to give users windows authentication connections to sql so the new server will need to be part of the existing domain.

If i purchase Windows server 2003 this will then allow me to join an existing domain but do i then need to purchase user licenses for both licensing for every user connecting to the machine and connecting to sql, or do i simply need to buy licenses for the number of staff connecting to the sql server installed on the machine. or does the licenses on the sbs domain controller cover me for all users connecting to the sql on the new server machine because they are domain users connecting

any expertise advice would be great
  • +
    0 Votes
    mattkent

I found your question late, but I will respond for the sake of those looking through Google.

If you search MS Technet for documentation on this question you will get three separate answers. Since MS is conflicted in their answer, I will just give you the functional one. If you join a 2003 server to your SBS domain, it will use the CALs from your SBS Server, not the CALs your 2003 license came with.

Your SQL CALs are separate from this, so you will need the appropriate number of CALs for SQL Server. I cannot imagine too many people running SQL Server on their SBS Server, so I don't know why MS hasn't done a better job of covering this topic.

+
    0 Votes
    wancona

I am also running a SBS network. We were considering adding an additional server for the SQL database. We had a consultant come in and he sid that we would have to purchase separate licenses for the SQL server, even though SBS is capable of being a SQL server also. I believe he said the SQL that was on SBS is like a smaller version, and the actual SQL, used as a server qould require separate CALs.

+
    0 Votes
    bart777

Ok, If you were to add another server to the domain it would simply get the access from the SBS. SQL requires it's own access licenses though. You can buy these per user or per CPU. Also, you would need to purchase SQL server for that box.
    Now.... That being said if you do a swing migration from 1 SBS server to another SBS server with premier edition you would then have SQL on the server and would not need any further licensing. This is the advantage to SBS in small environments. The thing with a swing migration is that the domain does not have to change and all settings will migrate from one server to the other. Once you are done you can then use the old server as an additonal file server on the domain. Or just use it as a test box for other things.

It all depends on the price you want to pay and the confidence you have in your skills. the swing migration is easy to do as long as you follow the steps. If you deviate you can get into trouble quickly. I've done many of these for customers over the last couple of years. This is the way I would go.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

if you have more than 1 server that users will be connecting to, then you get SBS User CALs and you setup SBS for per seat licensing. note: there are different flavors of user CALs and standard W2003 Server CALs don't work on SBS. you have to buy SBS CALs either device or user.

for SQL, you join the Windows Server 2003 to the domain as a member server, then install SQL on it. Users will then use their user CALs to connect to that server as well as the SBS server.

note: often SQL that comes with SBS doesn't like being installed on a seperate server. Users will try to connect and are denied access. Further, a seperate install of SQL requires you to setup user rights on SQL manually. A seperate instance of SQL doesn't automatically configure itself to Active Directory like it does when you use SBS SQL installed on the SBS box. So when you setup SQL, give user rights to connect to SQL. I would suggest that you create a global group and assign SQL rights to the global group. Dump users that need SQL into the global group.

• +
    0 Votes
    mattkent

I found your question late, but I will respond for the sake of those looking through Google.

If you search MS Technet for documentation on this question you will get three separate answers. Since MS is conflicted in their answer, I will just give you the functional one. If you join a 2003 server to your SBS domain, it will use the CALs from your SBS Server, not the CALs your 2003 license came with.

Your SQL CALs are separate from this, so you will need the appropriate number of CALs for SQL Server. I cannot imagine too many people running SQL Server on their SBS Server, so I don't know why MS hasn't done a better job of covering this topic.

+
    0 Votes
    wancona

I am also running a SBS network. We were considering adding an additional server for the SQL database. We had a consultant come in and he sid that we would have to purchase separate licenses for the SQL server, even though SBS is capable of being a SQL server also. I believe he said the SQL that was on SBS is like a smaller version, and the actual SQL, used as a server qould require separate CALs.

+
    0 Votes
    bart777

Ok, If you were to add another server to the domain it would simply get the access from the SBS. SQL requires it's own access licenses though. You can buy these per user or per CPU. Also, you would need to purchase SQL server for that box.
    Now.... That being said if you do a swing migration from 1 SBS server to another SBS server with premier edition you would then have SQL on the server and would not need any further licensing. This is the advantage to SBS in small environments. The thing with a swing migration is that the domain does not have to change and all settings will migrate from one server to the other. Once you are done you can then use the old server as an additonal file server on the domain. Or just use it as a test box for other things.

It all depends on the price you want to pay and the confidence you have in your skills. the swing migration is easy to do as long as you follow the steps. If you deviate you can get into trouble quickly. I've done many of these for customers over the last couple of years. This is the way I would go.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

if you have more than 1 server that users will be connecting to, then you get SBS User CALs and you setup SBS for per seat licensing. note: there are different flavors of user CALs and standard W2003 Server CALs don't work on SBS. you have to buy SBS CALs either device or user.

for SQL, you join the Windows Server 2003 to the domain as a member server, then install SQL on it. Users will then use their user CALs to connect to that server as well as the SBS server.

note: often SQL that comes with SBS doesn't like being installed on a seperate server. Users will try to connect and are denied access. Further, a seperate install of SQL requires you to setup user rights on SQL manually. A seperate instance of SQL doesn't automatically configure itself to Active Directory like it does when you use SBS SQL installed on the SBS box. So when you setup SQL, give user rights to connect to SQL. I would suggest that you create a global group and assign SQL rights to the global group. Dump users that need SQL into the global group.