Questions

SBS 2003 Problem with clien computers accessing the internet

+
0 Votes

SBS 2003 Problem with clien computers accessing the internet

info
I have a SBS 2003 server setup with dual network cards. I have done the wizard and connected the server to the intenet. The problem is the client pc's cannot acces the internet. The server has full access, if you ping from a client it resolves the ip address of google, but gets no reply. so im sure its not a dns problem. ANy ides on resolving this?
  • +
    0 Votes
    jeandemo39

Do you have ISA server as well? If yes, ensure that you have ping opened up as a firewall rule. If the problem is associated with the browser only, you need to setup your browser to point to the server. Try the following in Internet Explorer:
    - tools
    - internet options
    - connections tab
    - lan settings
    - select "Use proxy server for your LAN"
    - put the server name in the address field and the port number would be 8080
    - click "bypass proxy server for local address"
    - then click OK

Let me know if it helps.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

need to know if this as there are multiple issues with connectivity with post SP2.

+
    0 Votes
    jeandemo39

Interesting!!
    I had the exact same problem. I learnt that the setup of connectivity is affected post SP2. After a while, I realized that I was able to resolve almost all these problems by running the "connect to the ineternet" wizard. After this, I restored the settings of my ISA Server from backup and everything worked well. Be advised, however, that these changes may take a few minutes before they completely update on the system. Hope I have been able to help.

+
    0 Votes
    info

Thanks for the info . The problem was caused by the firewall service running as it interfered with the network service. Re-did the wizard after turning off the firewall service and it fixed it

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

if you turn off the firewall service and do not have a firewall between the SBS box and the internet. SBS 2003 Premium Edition comes with ISA server which is a firewall proxy but if your running SBS standard with a NIC connected directly to your ISP your naked and vunderable.

• +
    0 Votes
    jeandemo39

Do you have ISA server as well? If yes, ensure that you have ping opened up as a firewall rule. If the problem is associated with the browser only, you need to setup your browser to point to the server. Try the following in Internet Explorer:
    - tools
    - internet options
    - connections tab
    - lan settings
    - select "Use proxy server for your LAN"
    - put the server name in the address field and the port number would be 8080
    - click "bypass proxy server for local address"
    - then click OK

Let me know if it helps.

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

need to know if this as there are multiple issues with connectivity with post SP2.

+
    0 Votes
    jeandemo39

Interesting!!
    I had the exact same problem. I learnt that the setup of connectivity is affected post SP2. After a while, I realized that I was able to resolve almost all these problems by running the "connect to the ineternet" wizard. After this, I restored the settings of my ISA Server from backup and everything worked well. Be advised, however, that these changes may take a few minutes before they completely update on the system. Hope I have been able to help.

+
    0 Votes
    info

Thanks for the info . The problem was caused by the firewall service running as it interfered with the network service. Re-did the wizard after turning off the firewall service and it fixed it

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

if you turn off the firewall service and do not have a firewall between the SBS box and the internet. SBS 2003 Premium Edition comes with ISA server which is a firewall proxy but if your running SBS standard with a NIC connected directly to your ISP your naked and vunderable.