Questions

server 2003 with sql 2000 error 0x800423f4

Tags:
+
0 Votes

server 2003 with sql 2000 error 0x800423f4

Jacques.Gordon
Hi, we have a server 2003 x64 machine with sql2000 on.

When I try and do a backup with VSS I get the "MSDEWriter has reported an error 0x800423f4" error message.

I have set the sql service and the sql agent service to run as domain\sqlsvc and I have reregistered the sqlvdi.dll ( cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM
regsvr32 sqlvdi.dll ) but I still keep getting the error message.

The server is up to date with all the MS patches.

I would like to try the hotfix at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828481/en-us but they say you must backup your machine before running the hotfix. If I could backup my machine I wouldn't need it now would I??

Does anyone know another way to fix that error?
  • +
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

It's just saying you can't do a back up with VSS.
    If it's just your databases you want to make sure of back them up with sql server.
    If you want the entire machine. Stop sqlservers services and image it with something else.

Then you can apply the hotfix , knowing you can get back to now (given you've proved you can restore the backups !)

Given the problem description, you could also
    drop your user databases recovery mode down to simple.
    VSS it, hotfix it, then reset the recovery modes and try VSS again to see if it worked and have a 'good' VSS backup.

HtHs

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

Yes, I thought that was a nice ironic message. To fix the back up software use this fix but back everything up first...

We've used sql for it's own backups but I'm more interested in backing up the system state because that machine doubles as a domain controller.

The problem is that our company policy is against using third party software as much as possible.

What are the implications of dropping the recovery mode down to simple?
    If it'll work I'd rather do that than use non MS backup software.

The weird thing is that the system state backup still gets to over 900 MB even after failing and our other DC only gets to 800 MB so I want to unpack the backup and see what all it contains.

+
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

you lose the ability to restore from transaction log backups.
    ie you can only go back to the last full or differential sqlserver back up.

So whether you can afford to do depends on your current sql server back up schedule, if you aren't doing transaction log backups in between full or differentials to reduce your exposure to data loss, then simple will do the job, it uses less resources as well.

I always like dedicated machines for my sql servers, 2000 is not too bad but if you upgrade to 2005 or after, it's a serious memory hog by default.
    I'd also be looking at a hardware solution, mirroring or raid for my database as well unless it was lightly used.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

Darn, we're doing a full SQL backup once a day with transaction logs every 15 min because it's running our main production great plains database.

The drives are all hardware raid-5 but I would prefer to have a proper backup as well. I have seen other machines where the raid controller dies and it's a mission to salvage that data.

Thanks anyway though! I was hoping someone knew another way to correct the msde writer error.

+
    0 Votes
    MikeBlane

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912414. Your server may not be able to verify the credentials of the username created for SQL Server.

The questions that I have are:
    - What configurations or parameters were recently changed on this server?
    - Can the server ping the domain controller consistently?
    - Has a new managed switch been put into place between this server and the domain controller?
    - When you created the SQLSVR account, did you set the password to not expire?

Try changing the user account to "LocalSystem" in the services "Logon" tab to see if the service starts operating correctly.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

I have recently changed the switches to managed D-Link switches but the machine is a DC as well.

I have thought of changing SQL to logon as local system but I'm not sure what the implications would be in a domain environment. It was set up to run as domain\sqlsvc when I came here.

domain\sqlsvc is an admin user with "logon as a service" rights on the machine

What else would I have to change if I set SQL to logon as local system?

+
    0 Votes
    MikeBlane

If you change the service to logon as "LocalSystem", my experience is that you do not have to change anything else as long as you are using the mixed authentication mode for SQL Server.

I would still look at the possibility that this server cannot find that master domain controller and is not updating its domain controller. Can you move that computer to the same switch that the master domain controller is attached to? If you can, I would do that first and then force a domain replication to ensure that you are working with an updated domain controller. The best way to eliminate the switch as a problem is to temporarily replace that switch with a hub. Yes, it will potentially slow down traffic, but if the switch is the problem, you will begin to see access to SQL restored. Also, don't forget to check your system and application event logs. Specifically look for the SQL SERVER source events and find out what problem SQL SERVER is reporting.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

I changed MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT to local system and did a check with replmon and dcdiag /a and the AD DB on that server is reported to be perferctly up to date.

I also moved the servers to a completely unmanaged switch.

But all to no avail, I still get exactly the same error.

I ran a filter on my event logs for sqlserver but all the event logs were info logs about internal sql stuff.

• +
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

It's just saying you can't do a back up with VSS.
    If it's just your databases you want to make sure of back them up with sql server.
    If you want the entire machine. Stop sqlservers services and image it with something else.

Then you can apply the hotfix , knowing you can get back to now (given you've proved you can restore the backups !)

Given the problem description, you could also
    drop your user databases recovery mode down to simple.
    VSS it, hotfix it, then reset the recovery modes and try VSS again to see if it worked and have a 'good' VSS backup.

HtHs

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

Yes, I thought that was a nice ironic message. To fix the back up software use this fix but back everything up first...

We've used sql for it's own backups but I'm more interested in backing up the system state because that machine doubles as a domain controller.

The problem is that our company policy is against using third party software as much as possible.

What are the implications of dropping the recovery mode down to simple?
    If it'll work I'd rather do that than use non MS backup software.

The weird thing is that the system state backup still gets to over 900 MB even after failing and our other DC only gets to 800 MB so I want to unpack the backup and see what all it contains.

+
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

you lose the ability to restore from transaction log backups.
    ie you can only go back to the last full or differential sqlserver back up.

So whether you can afford to do depends on your current sql server back up schedule, if you aren't doing transaction log backups in between full or differentials to reduce your exposure to data loss, then simple will do the job, it uses less resources as well.

I always like dedicated machines for my sql servers, 2000 is not too bad but if you upgrade to 2005 or after, it's a serious memory hog by default.
    I'd also be looking at a hardware solution, mirroring or raid for my database as well unless it was lightly used.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

Darn, we're doing a full SQL backup once a day with transaction logs every 15 min because it's running our main production great plains database.

The drives are all hardware raid-5 but I would prefer to have a proper backup as well. I have seen other machines where the raid controller dies and it's a mission to salvage that data.

Thanks anyway though! I was hoping someone knew another way to correct the msde writer error.

+
    0 Votes
    MikeBlane

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912414. Your server may not be able to verify the credentials of the username created for SQL Server.

The questions that I have are:
    - What configurations or parameters were recently changed on this server?
    - Can the server ping the domain controller consistently?
    - Has a new managed switch been put into place between this server and the domain controller?
    - When you created the SQLSVR account, did you set the password to not expire?

Try changing the user account to "LocalSystem" in the services "Logon" tab to see if the service starts operating correctly.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

I have recently changed the switches to managed D-Link switches but the machine is a DC as well.

I have thought of changing SQL to logon as local system but I'm not sure what the implications would be in a domain environment. It was set up to run as domain\sqlsvc when I came here.

domain\sqlsvc is an admin user with "logon as a service" rights on the machine

What else would I have to change if I set SQL to logon as local system?

+
    0 Votes
    MikeBlane

If you change the service to logon as "LocalSystem", my experience is that you do not have to change anything else as long as you are using the mixed authentication mode for SQL Server.

I would still look at the possibility that this server cannot find that master domain controller and is not updating its domain controller. Can you move that computer to the same switch that the master domain controller is attached to? If you can, I would do that first and then force a domain replication to ensure that you are working with an updated domain controller. The best way to eliminate the switch as a problem is to temporarily replace that switch with a hub. Yes, it will potentially slow down traffic, but if the switch is the problem, you will begin to see access to SQL restored. Also, don't forget to check your system and application event logs. Specifically look for the SQL SERVER source events and find out what problem SQL SERVER is reporting.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacques.Gordon

I changed MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT to local system and did a check with replmon and dcdiag /a and the AD DB on that server is reported to be perferctly up to date.

I also moved the servers to a completely unmanaged switch.

But all to no avail, I still get exactly the same error.

I ran a filter on my event logs for sqlserver but all the event logs were info logs about internal sql stuff.