Questions

Server 2008 - Slow lan AFTER login

+
0 Votes

Server 2008 - Slow lan AFTER login

SMEETeCH
I have a poser here.
We are running a 2008 R2 machine as DC, no problems.
Also running another 2008 machine as application server, running fine... except...
After rebooting, if I don't login, a LAN SPEED TEST is 80mbs, read and write.
However AFTER logging in, test runs at 20mbs, read and write!
Obviously, a service or process is seriously curtailing LAN performance ONLY after login. Any ideas what I should be looking for? Thanks, Jason
  • +
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I am using the LAN SPEED TEST prog from a client. To the DC I get around 53mbps R/W, which is normal. To the APP server is where i get the goofy speeds before and after login.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Have you tried looking at the actual traffic on the LAN to see if that's the issue?

Try Wireshark to see what happening on the LAN.

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Col

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I am not sure how to interpret these wireshark results.
    I did reboot again, and prior to login, I tested at 80mbps, after login 22mbps.
    What now?

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I read on wireshark that these checksum errors may be caused by the offloading setting.
    It suggested disabling it. I tried it, no help. I did multiple speed test during the login process. I got 80mbps until a minute or so after login, then lagged to 22mbps.

+
    0 Votes
    mgeldens

Your DC stays OK so there's no inherent problem with your PC, the DC or the LAN.
    It seems to me that there is a problem with a process on the appserver that is either hogging CPU time (most likely) or wasting bandwidth. What does task manager show? Is the CPU pegged? If so, what process (es) is/are using the CPU excessively? Anything that uses more than 5% is suspect.
    Does it get better when you log off?
    Is it peculiar to you? (ie. does it happen to others who log on?) This will tell you where in the registry to look for the offendinig program.
    Suggest you d/l whatsrunning.exe to investigate further.

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

WhatsRunning doesnt show any rogue processes or services hogging bandwidth. Its pretty standard. I did run some speed tests of various configurations if it helps you help me narrow down the culprit:

[APPSVR=troubled server, DC=domain controller, XP1 & XP2=xp pro clients, WIN7=win7 client. All clients are admin members of domain. Running speed test from -> to other computer, W=write R=read, - AVG OF 3 TESTS, 20MB FILE, W & R IN MB per sec).

(APPSVR IS "LOGGED IN" WITH DOMAIN ADMIN)
    APPSVR -> XP1 = 34W 25R
    APPSVR -> XP2 = 30W 25R
    APPSVR -> WIN7 = 56W 25R

XP1 -> APPSVR = 24W 26R
    XP2 -> APPSVR = 24W 26R
    WIN7 -> APPSVR = 26W 67R

XP1 -> DC = 42W 70R
    XP2 -> DC = 40W 70R
    WIN7 -> DC = 6W 85R (YES 6 mbps, i need to look at this too)

XP1 -> XP2 = 78W 81R
    XP2 -> XP1 = 76W 81R

Simply logging out of APPSVR doesnt seem to affect anything. I must restart the APPSVR and then NOT log in. Here ore the client speed test results:

(APPSVR IS NOT "LOGGED IN")
    XP1 -> APPSVR = 82W 81R
    XP2 -> APPSVR = 84W 81R
    WIN7 -> APPSVR = 87W 85R

Youre right, its obviously something in the APPSVR user login process slowing down.
    Perhaps the Microsoft Mgmt Console? AntiV settings that kick in after login? I don't know.

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I do believe my Panda AV was the culprit. Disabled that and now I am running at 80mbps, read and write. I have always hated Panda. Before I was hired on, the co signed on to 3yrs with Panda. What a waste. Well, once we are paroled, I will instate BitDefender or eSet.

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I do believe my Panda AV was the culprit. Disabled that and now I am running at 80mbps, read and write. I have always hated Panda. Before I was hired on, the co signed on to 3yrs with Panda. What a waste. Well, once we are paroled, I will instate BitDefender or eSet.

• +
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I am using the LAN SPEED TEST prog from a client. To the DC I get around 53mbps R/W, which is normal. To the APP server is where i get the goofy speeds before and after login.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Have you tried looking at the actual traffic on the LAN to see if that's the issue?

Try Wireshark to see what happening on the LAN.

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Col

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I am not sure how to interpret these wireshark results.
    I did reboot again, and prior to login, I tested at 80mbps, after login 22mbps.
    What now?

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

I read on wireshark that these checksum errors may be caused by the offloading setting.
    It suggested disabling it. I tried it, no help. I did multiple speed test during the login process. I got 80mbps until a minute or so after login, then lagged to 22mbps.

+
    0 Votes
    mgeldens

Your DC stays OK so there's no inherent problem with your PC, the DC or the LAN.
    It seems to me that there is a problem with a process on the appserver that is either hogging CPU time (most likely) or wasting bandwidth. What does task manager show? Is the CPU pegged? If so, what process (es) is/are using the CPU excessively? Anything that uses more than 5% is suspect.
    Does it get better when you log off?
    Is it peculiar to you? (ie. does it happen to others who log on?) This will tell you where in the registry to look for the offendinig program.
    Suggest you d/l whatsrunning.exe to investigate further.

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

WhatsRunning doesnt show any rogue processes or services hogging bandwidth. Its pretty standard. I did run some speed tests of various configurations if it helps you help me narrow down the culprit:

[APPSVR=troubled server, DC=domain controller, XP1 & XP2=xp pro clients, WIN7=win7 client. All clients are admin members of domain. Running speed test from -> to other computer, W=write R=read, - AVG OF 3 TESTS, 20MB FILE, W & R IN MB per sec).

(APPSVR IS "LOGGED IN" WITH DOMAIN ADMIN)
    APPSVR -> XP1 = 34W 25R
    APPSVR -> XP2 = 30W 25R
    APPSVR -> WIN7 = 56W 25R

XP1 -> APPSVR = 24W 26R
    XP2 -> APPSVR = 24W 26R
    WIN7 -> APPSVR = 26W 67R

XP1 -> DC = 42W 70R
    XP2 -> DC = 40W 70R
    WIN7 -> DC = 6W 85R (YES 6 mbps, i need to look at this too)

XP1 -> XP2 = 78W 81R
    XP2 -> XP1 = 76W 81R

Simply logging out of APPSVR doesnt seem to affect anything. I must restart the APPSVR and then NOT log in. Here ore the client speed test results:

(APPSVR IS NOT "LOGGED IN")
    XP1 -> APPSVR = 82W 81R
    XP2 -> APPSVR = 84W 81R
    WIN7 -> APPSVR = 87W 85R

Youre right, its obviously something in the APPSVR user login process slowing down.
    Perhaps the Microsoft Mgmt Console? AntiV settings that kick in after login? I don't know.

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH

+
    0 Votes
    SMEETeCH