Questions

Sharepoint 2007 backup & move to new server

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Sharepoint 2007 backup & move to new server

eric
I have been testing Sharepoint Services 2007.
currently using the WMSDE database. (future plans for SQL if company decides to go forward with this)
My question is: Has anyone successfully performed a backup from one server and restore to another. I have found very little support for the 2007. I have tried several methods with no luck. My first hardware I installed need to be used for another project and need to move all my sites and files to another similar box.
I have also tried a simple back-up and restore to the same box and still recieved errors.
Any help or suggestions ?
  • +
    0 Votes
    rgusek

We have recently done this, and one thing that's not obvious, is you do not restore the configuration database. You do an install, then reattach the databases or restore your sites, THEN update your configuration database.

+
    0 Votes
    eric

Thanks for the info.

+
    0 Votes
    ruben_perez

I have done a backup restauration. I can see the application and the site collection at the administration console, but when I type de URL to my site collection, I have a page not found message.
    what I'm doing wrong?

I installed SP 2007. Then, I restored the backup and thats all. You talk about updating the configuration database. What do you mean? How can I do it?

Thank you guys.

+
    0 Votes
    Fahim Kanji

He means that in central administration, you need to tell sharepoint the server name and database name of the config db.

So, if you're moving from SERVER1 to SERVER2 using a backup method (not the best method, but it's ur choice) you backup from SERVER1 and then you RECOVER on SERVER2, when you've done this you actually have to have the config DB on SERVER2's instance of SQL Server and then tell sharepoint in Central Admin to look for CONFIG_DB_NAME on SERVER2.

Correct me if that's not what you meant, but that's what i have done to get that to work. (I don't use the builtin sharepoint backup/recovery too much. Try 3rd party solutions, they're a lot easier to manage) I'd prefer to do SQL backup/recovery of the database files themselves instead of using sharepoint backup/recovery for portal-level/system-level restorations/migrations (but i have a bias towards DBs).

Have you read the technet articles on the subject matter?
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/5a39029f-0939-452b-acd2-44ff87e7ff711033.mspx

+
    0 Votes
    ruben_perez

I have done a backup restauration. I can see the application and the site collection at the administration console, but when I type de URL to my site collection, I have a not found message.
    what I'm doing wrong?

I installed SP 2007. Then, I restored the backup and thats all. You talk about updating the configuration database. What do you mean? How can I do it?

Thank you guys.

+
    0 Votes
    shaun.roe

Please read this for instructions:

http://free-it-guy.com/forum?func=view&catid=37&id=7

• +
    0 Votes
    rgusek

We have recently done this, and one thing that's not obvious, is you do not restore the configuration database. You do an install, then reattach the databases or restore your sites, THEN update your configuration database.

+
    0 Votes
    eric

Thanks for the info.

+
    0 Votes
    ruben_perez

I have done a backup restauration. I can see the application and the site collection at the administration console, but when I type de URL to my site collection, I have a page not found message.
    what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you guys.

+
    0 Votes
    Fahim Kanji

He means that in central administration, you need to tell sharepoint the server name and database name of the config db.

So, if you're moving from SERVER1 to SERVER2 using a backup method (not the best method, but it's ur choice) you backup from SERVER1 and then you RECOVER on SERVER2, when you've done this you actually have to have the config DB on SERVER2's instance of SQL Server and then tell sharepoint in Central Admin to look for CONFIG_DB_NAME on SERVER2.

Correct me if that's not what you meant, but that's what i have done to get that to work. (I don't use the builtin sharepoint backup/recovery too much. Try 3rd party solutions, they're a lot easier to manage) I'd prefer to do SQL backup/recovery of the database files themselves instead of using sharepoint backup/recovery for portal-level/system-level restorations/migrations (but i have a bias towards DBs).

Have you read the technet articles on the subject matter?
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/5a39029f-0939-452b-acd2-44ff87e7ff711033.mspx

+
    0 Votes
    ruben_perez

I have done a backup restauration. I can see the application and the site collection at the administration console, but when I type de URL to my site collection, I have a not found message.
    what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you guys.

+
    0 Votes
    shaun.roe

Please read this for instructions:

http://free-it-guy.com/forum?func=view&catid=37&id=7