Questions

SharePoint 2010 Approval Workflow question

+
0 Votes

SharePoint 2010 Approval Workflow question

chaveza27
I have a simple approval workflow setup in a library with the following options enabled:
- Start this workflow when a new item is created
- Start this workflow when an item is changed
- Enable content approval (update the approval status when the workflow is completed)

Uder the Versioning Settings of the library I have the following option enabled:
- Require content approval for submitted items

When a new item is created the workflow starts and the the Approval Workflow column shows "In Progress" and changes to "Approved" when the workflow is complete but the Approval Status column stays as Pending. If I manually change the approval status from Pending to Approved it starts the workflow again. Am I doing something wrong with how the workflow is setup or are there any options I should enable or disable?
  • +
    0 Votes
    gechurch

I had problems when setting up an approval workflow in 2010. It was a custom workflow, and the main problem was the workflow ran under the context of the user who submitted the item. Problem is the 'mark as approved' step. Because it was running under the context of the user that submitted the item, the workflow didn't have permission to change the approval status so it threw an error. The symptoms were quite different for me but nevertheless it's something to check. The fix was to make all the steps use impersonation (in SharePoint Designer).

Another possibility (and I can't remember if this is the case or not) but perhaps having the workflow trigger on both upload and change could cause new items to trigger the workflow twice. Perhaps that's causing issue.

Those are just two stabs in the dark. To diagnose it properly open up a workflow item (from memory you do this by clicking on 'Pending' or 'Complete' in the workflow status column) and look at it's history/log. If you're making a custom workflow in Designer you can add in log steps - the output of which will show under the history for each workflow.

• +
    0 Votes
    gechurch

I had problems when setting up an approval workflow in 2010. It was a custom workflow, and the main problem was the workflow ran under the context of the user who submitted the item. Problem is the 'mark as approved' step. Because it was running under the context of the user that submitted the item, the workflow didn't have permission to change the approval status so it threw an error. The symptoms were quite different for me but nevertheless it's something to check. The fix was to make all the steps use impersonation (in SharePoint Designer).

Another possibility (and I can't remember if this is the case or not) but perhaps having the workflow trigger on both upload and change could cause new items to trigger the workflow twice. Perhaps that's causing issue.

Those are just two stabs in the dark. To diagnose it properly open up a workflow item (from memory you do this by clicking on 'Pending' or 'Complete' in the workflow status column) and look at it's history/log. If you're making a custom workflow in Designer you can add in log steps - the output of which will show under the history for each workflow.