Questions

Answer for:

Should I jump from XP to Windows 8?

Message 4 of 45

View entire thread
+
7 Votes
DataPoint1976

If it were me, I would buy a new system (desktop/laptop) with W7 OS installed. W7 is a very solid workhorse OS and will be supported for many years! You then have to decide if you want the 32 bit or 64 bit W7 OS. Of course if you want to take advantage of all the 64 bit OS goodness with more available memory etc. you will also have to upgrade your applications software to 64 bit versions to take full advantage or just go with the 32 bit W7 OS and keep your present app software. I tried the W8 Consumer Preview and did not like it for a non-touch based system. On the other hand, as mentioned earlier, Microsoft has a special deal going on where you can buy a W7 system now and later have the option to switch (notice I did not say upgrade) to W8 if you are so inclined. I think W8 is going to be very nice OS for new tablet hardware, but not on "my desktop" from my experience using W8 CP. Perhaps with a W9 release in a couple of years the intended convergence of the desktop/notebook/tablet/phone via the Metro UI will happen as it is even more refined and supported. I just don't see any need to displace W7 on a mouse driven desktop/laptop PC via W8. I think your productivity would suffer using W8's touch centric OS with mouse driven hdw and tiled metro interface. Not having a touch monitor seems to inhibit easy swipe scrolling via W8. I find it quicker to navigate via the W7 start menu Vs W8 tiles & search method. Plus, if you go multi-monitor W7 offers a much better experience using multiple windows with possibility for several open applications to view and work amongst. W8's multi-monitor support seemed almost non-existent, at least with W8 CP. These are just my opinions, YMMV.