Questions

Answer for:

Should I jump from XP to Windows 8?

Message 31 of 45

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
zazimi

Windows 8 has it's benefits, but it is aimed mostly towards the consumer industry, especially touch screen PCs. It has its advantages for a business though, such as cross platform standardization. Windows 8 RT tablets, Windows 8 laptops/desktops, and eventually Windows Phone 8. All able to run many of the same applications, minus desktop applications, in which case a few tablets will be capapble of running. Look at whether you'd be interested in going with a Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8 tablet. If not, then for a business, I'd generally suggest going with WIndows 7. Now to address x86(32bit) or x64(64bit) since it seems to be a popular subject. In choosing 64bit Windows, the 64bit refers to the operations of the OS ONLY. As everyone is always quick to claim, this version will allow for a nearly infinite amount of RAM, but many often forget WHY. Twice the bit-bandwidth per clock cycle of the processor, which not only allows for more RAM, but ALSO speeds up the operation of actual Windows, the OS, and is suposed to increase stability (more often than not, isn't the case). How this, in reality, affects your other applications is this. You must make sure your applications are *compatible with Windows 7 64-bit* not whether the application itself is developed in 64-bit. Two different things. Also, if you are using a Domain setup (unlikely, but possible) make sure to get Ultimate. As for Win 7 vs Win XP, for us hardware fanatics, it's an *absolute no brainer.* Windows xp is over a decade old, and it shows. XP is designed to operate, at best, with a single-core processor w/ hyperthreading, heck, it didn't even originally allow for hard drives over 137GB. Don't get me wrong, until recently, XP was the wisest option for a business user, but too many people brag on XP without knowing it's competitors... which is just pure ignorance at it's best. A LOT has happened in the last 11 years, including multicore hyper threaded processors, going from 100+ nanometer(nm) processors to 22nm, hard drives breaching 3TB, complete redesigns of Intel motherboards, hexachannel RAM at frequencies TEN times that of when XP debuted. If you are planning on buying a machine with any hardware developed in the past 5 years, I'd suggest WIndows 7. Desktops and laptops these days are coming with dual/quad/hexa cores... XP will utilize 1 core, 1 hyperthreaded core, Windows 7, all the above. Plus, the design looks less like a thorn in your eye :) I'm going to be honest up front, I don't have as much knowledge with Win8. With my current job, I don't have as much time to research and beta test, but this all is my opinion.