Questions

Answer for:

Silly Question?

Message 49 of 96

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
Anpadh

I never said, at any time, anywhere, that I am looking ONLY into the computer field. I just feel that it is stupid to post questions about being a copywriter in an ad agency, while posting on a board that is focused on IT careers. Even within IT, I am looking into hardware, software, sales, and other aspects.

I don't need to learn web-design because I can work with someone who is an experienced web-designer herself. Similarly, I don't need to learn animation because I could easily put together a team of animators for a particular project. I want to learn something that nobody in my circle already knows.

I am looking into various fields outside of education because, in my opinion, education is a dead end. Why would anyone spend 4 years to 8 years studying toward a degree or degrees for which they would pay as much as $250,000 in tuition and books alone, if they see that the people who are teaching them those skills are getting fired (and not getting hired elsewhere) every day?

You don't need a degree in Computer Science to flip burgers at Burger King.You don't even need to be able to read, for something like that. And if you do read, and do have a degree in CS, chances are you will get low-paying CS jobs occasionally and you will be over-qualified for the flipping burger job. But I don't mind getting the low-paying CS job because it is better than having no job at all.

The only way out that I can see (for myself, not the rest of the world) is to get a degree that is very hard to get, normally. When a degree is hard to get, it means demand for the degree exceeds supply. And that more or less guarantees a job.

As to loving what I do, I worked at what I love, for 20 years. Now, there is no longer a market for that type of work. It does not pay the bills. If you were in my place, perhaps you would rather drop dead than pay your bills with a job you don't love. And that is your right. However, I would rather pay my bills than drop dead. And that is MY right!

I am not the one being unrealistic here -- you are, if you feel that a person should ONLY make a living doing what he/she loves. If we lived in an ideal world, every student I ever taught would pay me $1 per year the rest of my life, and I would not need to worry about paying my bills after working for 20 years.

However, just in case you have not noticed it, we don't live in an ideal world.