Questions

Slow Installation in DELL Optiplex GX 110

+
0 Votes

Slow Installation in DELL Optiplex GX 110

Dolphin111
I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII, 40gb HD Excelstor, one 128 ddr and one 256 ddr. A Cd room which i cant tell the make, but its like the one used on laptops.
My problem is the following: The first time i tried to install Windows XP Pro Sp2 it took me 24hrs and the installtion dint even end, because there was the following error vga64k. I searched the web for the error and discovered it had to do with display, so i decided to plung in a display adpter, but the PC could not recognize it. I tried installing Win 2000 but no success it just hung. I installed Win98 sec edition it also took 24hrs but i didnt get any errors and the installation finalized but the PC is so slow, right now i'm running a new installation on it trying to upgrade to win xp sp2 it tells me that its gonna take 108 min to complete. I dont think this is normal, i also tried changing the cd rooms to dvd room the win cd is new and original i have used it to install other PC's and it worked just fine. Can someone tell me whats wrong or give me an idea, i have been on this PC for a week now with this problem. Please guys help. Thanks for your attention and help.
  • +
    0 Votes
    dreanime2

I have that exact model of Dell your Talking about. I also Have your Same Problem. My Comp took a dive so I wiped the HD and tried to reinstall Windows. It halfway worked when I got the Vga64k error. I first thought It was the XP copy I had So I barrowed a Install disk. But I got the Same Error, So I started to save to buy a Copy Of windows 2k. But since you mention that you cant even get it to work with windows 2k I dont think Mine will either. I cant call the factory Because Mine was referbished and given to me free form my school. No boot disk or OS disk, With a fresh installation of 2k. I sent it to be upgraded with Xp and a New HD. It crashed And I cant reinstall XP. My Pal Jason Has a Copy for me but it's Pro edition.

• +
    0 Votes
    dreanime2

I have that exact model of Dell your Talking about. I also Have your Same Problem. My Comp took a dive so I wiped the HD and tried to reinstall Windows. It halfway worked when I got the Vga64k error. I first thought It was the XP copy I had So I barrowed a Install disk. But I got the Same Error, So I started to save to buy a Copy Of windows 2k. But since you mention that you cant even get it to work with windows 2k I dont think Mine will either. I cant call the factory Because Mine was referbished and given to me free form my school. No boot disk or OS disk, With a fresh installation of 2k. I sent it to be upgraded with Xp and a New HD. It crashed And I cant reinstall XP. My Pal Jason Has a Copy for me but it's Pro edition.