Questions

Supervisor password for Acer Aspire 9410Z?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Supervisor password for Acer Aspire 9410Z?

marc_olivier_cc
I am having problems with the supervisor password on my Acer Aspire 9410Z.

!!- If you do not want to read a wall of text, please just skip to the asterisk (*). -!!

I wanted to restart my Windows Vista from the ground up again, so I backed up my data on my D:\ drive and inserted my Vista Installer CD. Problem was, the boot order set up in the BIOS disabled me from booting from the DVD.

I went into the BIOS and attempted to change boot order but I couldn't since it was in user mode and I don't remember ever putting in a supervisor password (NB: I had a user password on it but removed it because it annoys me to input it each time the installation of Vista reboots).

So in order to reset the password, I opened up the laptop and reseted the CMOS, but what it did is that now the BIOS setup just asks for a password that I do not have and I think that it is the supervisor password (I think it's stored in the EEPROM).

* My question is (sorry it took so long to explain): is there a default supervisor password for this model/series?

PS: Guarentee is long overdue on this laptop and I don't intend to pay someone to reset the password for me since I know I can do it, I just do not know how.
  • +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

"I don't intend to pay someone to reset the password for me since I know I can do it, I just do not know how"

The reason you don't know how to do it, is because you can't do it.

Thanks for the 'wall of text' but it doesn't make any difference. You still need the password and no-one at TR will help you with this. We don't offer help to users attempting to circumvent passwords - period.

<Typo>

+
    0 Votes
    marc_olivier_cc

First off, I'm not trying to circumvent any password, I just want to know if there is a default supervisor password so I can change the boot order on my BIOS. I know there is usually one on DELL laptops, I wanted to know if that was the case with Acer.

Second, I came here because I wanted to know the answer to my question, not to be responded sarcasticaly by someone when I'm asking something serious.

It's not like I'm asking how to hack someone else's computer, geez.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

You said: It's not like I'm asking how to hack someone else's computer, geez.

Just how do you plan to prove that in a text based environment where you have no way to prove ownership of said equipment? You can't. Thus, OUR policy (see my next post).

+
    0 Votes
    IC-IT

Neither Dell nor Acer has a publically disclosed "master" password.
    You are (by the very nature of your request) trying to bypass a password. We don't know you from Adam and thusely really have no idea as to whether this is from the laptop's owner or from a nefarious character.

Please enlighten us; how do we discrimenate between the two?

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

That you're a bit of a shyster and have given the game away inadvertantly.

I simply stated a fact - it was you that got upset about it.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Like Old Mycroft said, you're kidding yourself if you think you can do it yourself. Once you removed that CMOS battery, you committed yourself to calling the manufacturer for help.

And, just so you know, here's the standard text we post in reply to ANY password question, period!

----------

TR members do not assist in password recovery or removal.

Do not respond to this thread.

We, the members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery/removal of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover/remove a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we, the members of TechRepublic, will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery/removal issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery/removal issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, hard drive password recovery/removal should be taken up with the manufacturer of the hard drive, etc...

To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

This template has been released under the GNU public license and you are encouraged to use it as a standard reply for questions of similar nature, provided that you make any modifications available to other users.

---

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

The members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we the members of TechRepublic will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, etc.. To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

This template has been released under the GNU public license and you are encouraged to use it as a standard reply for questions of similar nature, provided that you make any modifications available to other users.

The fact of the matter is You are trying to circumvent a Password. Bottom Line is if you can not remember what you say you put there and you try to do something that is protected by this Password you are attempting to circumvent the Password.

If you truly could do it yourself you wouldn't need to ask how do I do this you would know that NB's use Smart Socket Technology, do not use BIOS Batteries any longer and that you have to short out the M'Board so why don't you be honest and say How do I short out the M'Board to Clear the BIOS?

If you are not willing to pay to have this fixed you will not have use of this computer it's as simple as that you need to take it to Acer or at the very least an Authorized Acer Service Agent pay them the required money prove you actually own it and they will remove what you placed there. Of course if you where not the one to buy it originally they will call the Police and let you explain to them why you now have this NB.

Could this be the reason that you don't want to go there?

Col

• +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

"I don't intend to pay someone to reset the password for me since I know I can do it, I just do not know how"

The reason you don't know how to do it, is because you can't do it.

Thanks for the 'wall of text' but it doesn't make any difference. You still need the password and no-one at TR will help you with this. We don't offer help to users attempting to circumvent passwords - period.

<Typo>

+
    0 Votes
    marc_olivier_cc

First off, I'm not trying to circumvent any password, I just want to know if there is a default supervisor password so I can change the boot order on my BIOS. I know there is usually one on DELL laptops, I wanted to know if that was the case with Acer.

Second, I came here because I wanted to know the answer to my question, not to be responded sarcasticaly by someone when I'm asking something serious.

It's not like I'm asking how to hack someone else's computer, geez.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

You said: It's not like I'm asking how to hack someone else's computer, geez.

Just how do you plan to prove that in a text based environment where you have no way to prove ownership of said equipment? You can't. Thus, OUR policy (see my next post).

+
    0 Votes
    IC-IT

Neither Dell nor Acer has a publically disclosed "master" password.
    You are (by the very nature of your request) trying to bypass a password. We don't know you from Adam and thusely really have no idea as to whether this is from the laptop's owner or from a nefarious character.

Please enlighten us; how do we discrimenate between the two?

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

That you're a bit of a shyster and have given the game away inadvertantly.

I simply stated a fact - it was you that got upset about it.

+
    0 Votes
    ThumbsUp2

Like Old Mycroft said, you're kidding yourself if you think you can do it yourself. Once you removed that CMOS battery, you committed yourself to calling the manufacturer for help.

And, just so you know, here's the standard text we post in reply to ANY password question, period!

----------

TR members do not assist in password recovery or removal.

Do not respond to this thread.

We, the members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery/removal of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover/remove a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we, the members of TechRepublic, will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery/removal issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery/removal issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, hard drive password recovery/removal should be taken up with the manufacturer of the hard drive, etc...

To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

---

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

The members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we the members of TechRepublic will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, etc.. To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

The fact of the matter is You are trying to circumvent a Password. Bottom Line is if you can not remember what you say you put there and you try to do something that is protected by this Password you are attempting to circumvent the Password.

If you truly could do it yourself you wouldn't need to ask how do I do this you would know that NB's use Smart Socket Technology, do not use BIOS Batteries any longer and that you have to short out the M'Board so why don't you be honest and say How do I short out the M'Board to Clear the BIOS?

If you are not willing to pay to have this fixed you will not have use of this computer it's as simple as that you need to take it to Acer or at the very least an Authorized Acer Service Agent pay them the required money prove you actually own it and they will remove what you placed there. Of course if you where not the one to buy it originally they will call the Police and let you explain to them why you now have this NB.

Could this be the reason that you don't want to go there?

Col