Questions

Toshiba P875-S7102

+
0 Votes

Toshiba P875-S7102

ba2486
After getting the Toshiba laptop P875-S7102 from Best Buy I have had a couple of things to be concerned about.

1. The computer comes with 8 gb of ram. Now finding just where this ram is has proven to be a failing task.
sence the computer is expandable to 32 gb of ram I poped off the back cover to find two empty sodimm slots.
the 8gb that are in the computer are nowhere in sight.
calling Toshiba support twice was a total waste of time.
youtube was also a waiste.

Populateing the two visiable empty dimm slots with 8gb dimms gives me 24 gb of ram
telling me there are two other slots somewhere probably with two 4 gb dimms.
where are they?

2. The Machine comes with one 750 GB Toshiba Hard Drive Formatted as GPT with four Partitions
under the UEFI system.
Removed the Toshiba Hard Drive and Inserted two WD 750 7200 rpm (black) HHD's

In the bios (f2 to enter) I turned off Secure boot and Changed the UEFI to CSM and boot order to ODD (cdrom)
with Windows 8 Pro.

Installed Win 8 no Problem. Great

Now to change it from MBR to GPT opps !!!

Start over several days later Tons & Tons of reading and research

Change back to UEFI in Bios another New Hard drive Raw

Set boot order to boot to USB (Windows usb tool and windows 8 Pro)

Forget it won't boot to USB with bios set to UEFI

Created 3 USB's with 3 different programs and all fail with this machine but boot fine under my Desktop
Windows Seven MBR system

I want to create a UEFI boot Hard drive with this machine like the one that came with it.

How ?

Step by step Maybe

Mabe one of your fabulus take aparts of the Toshiba P875-S7102 (only one with 4 Memory slots if you can find them)

thanks
Bill Armstrong
ba2486@chartermi.net
  • +
    0 Votes
    DChilds

I saw the same spec listed for the max amount of system memory, 32 GB with 4 slots.

Here's the url to the spec sheet I found:
    http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_P875-S7102.pdf

Gonna see if i can find a repair/user guide.

+
    0 Votes
    DChilds

Took a screenshot of the instructions on how to access and replace memory from pg 53 of the toshiba user's guide for this computer:

https://plus.google.com/photos/114089491969584166637/albums/5853272414023495729

User's guide from Toshiba (Which I remember you saying you'd already read.)
    http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/manuals/userguides/su3488230/GMAD00332011_Sat-SatPro-P800_12Dec17.pdf

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

If the remaining 2 RAM Sockets are not on the Bottom of the M'Board they have to be on the Top and the most likely place is Under the Keyboard.

If you have looked at all of the openings on the bottom and there are only 2 Sockets available on that side of the M'Board you have to look on the Top of the M'Board for the remaining 2 Sockets.

I don

+
    0 Votes
    ba2486

Yes A Repair Manual is What I Need.
    I have not been able to find one at least so far.

Page 53 or 48 thru 56 or do ib from the back side and fro adding extra memory as I have already done with 10 cas Latency modules which will be slowed down to the speed of the memory that came with the machine, so I have to replace those modules to get the benefit of the faster ram.

Thank you
    Bill Armstrong

I also want to thank all of you for your work and advise. There are other things I want to change such as the 10/100 NIC and Bluetooth 4.0, A repair Manual will let me know if I can do this, or if I have to change the Motherboard.

thanks again

+
    0 Votes
    ba2486

Yes very Involved
    The S875.S7310 is what I want to make out of this one, and maintain the 4 8gb memory slots as the P875-S7102 has instead of 2 8gb slots as the 7310 has.

Crucial been there they are wrong on this one.
    I have installed 2 8gb modules in the bottom and now have 24 gb of ram installed.
    So there is two other slots somewhere.

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

It does sound like you have plans that will require a full tear-down. You just want to know what you can expect to run into.

I know that it may not be intuitive as to all the steps required to disassemble a laptop. I had to remove a screw and then pop-out the keyboard on my laptop as part of getting to the hard drive.

LAN - most likely on the mainboard and cannot be changed.
    Blue-Tooth - I also expect that this will be on the mainboard and not a separate assembly.

As to the hard drives and the file format.
    Why not use the Western Digital version of Acronis (from the Western Digital support page) and either clone the original drive, or make other partition changes? The only requirement is that one of the connected drives must be a Western Digital.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

Found a few Microsoft pages that may be of interest to you.

Remove the space between the dot and the com.

http://msdn.microsoft. com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

http://support.microsoft. com/kb/297800

http://technet.microsoft. com/library/cc725671.aspx

http://technet.microsoft. com/library/cc725797.aspx

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

Lots of good stuff on this page.

http://msdn.microsoft. com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463075.aspx

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    ba2486

Thank you for the links yes lots of good material there!
    Not sure if Acronis will handle GPT disk I read there were some problems doing that.
    I have to know how to do it from installing a new raw hard drive, and am almost there.

I found out that if I turned on USB Legacy Emulation for Keyboard and Mouse allows to boot to boot order including USB and CD/DVD.
    I believe I have figured out the GPT setup and formatting, Have ordered another 1 tb HD, should be here in a couple days, The second HD will be MBR - GPT reads MBR.
    MBR don't read GPT.

also:
    From the GPT FAQ Page:

Q. Is it possible to make a sector-by-sector copy of a GPT disk?

A. No. The Disk and Partition GUIDs will no longer be unique. This must never happen. You can make a sector-by-sector copy of the contents of ESP or basic data partitions.

Q. Is there any way to copy a whole GPT disk using the OPK imaging tools?

A.
    Yes. However, there are some key caveats. The OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) initializes the Disk and Partition GUIDs to zero. On first boot of Windows, the operating system generates unique GUIDs. The OPK only supports generation of ESP, MSR, and basic data partitions.

If an application has recorded any Disk or Partition GUIDs it may break. Any applications, drivers, utilities, or firmware implementations supplied by system manufacturers or application vendors that rely on GUIDs should be capable of handling GUIDs that change from the OPK initialization values to those generated by the operating system.

Q. What is the Diskpart.efi MAKE command?

A.
    It is a way for OEMs to simplify operating system preinstallation and system recovery. This command can easily be extended to create a "default" disk configuration for the platform. For example, the system manufacturer could extend the MAKE command to automatically partition the boot drive with an ESP, MSR, an OEM-specific partition, and one basic data partition.

For example, consider a possible disk configuration called BOOT_DISK. In the event of business failure recovery, MAKE BOOT_DISK would allow the customer to completely repartition a boot disk to the original factory defaults.

Q. What happens if a duplicate Disk or Partition GUID is detected?

A. Windows will generate new GUIDs for any duplicate Disk GUID, MSR Partition GUID, or MSR basic data GUID upon detection. This is similar to the duplicate MBR signature handling in Windows 2000. Duplicate GUIDs on a dynamic container or database partition cause unpredictable results.

I understand most of this, I only read it once, - from one of your links.

The keyboard sits in through the case, no screws from the top to remove.
    I tried getting it apart, missed something, need to get my hands on a repair manual to keep from breaking some of this plastic.

as for the NIC and Bluetooth they will have to be Daughter boards, For it won't be worth the effort.

both are probably built in chips?

thanks again for your help
    Bill Armstrong

+
    0 Votes
    chapin85

I took it apart and the other two slots are exactly under de keyboard & mouse pad... so when you normally open the bottom part and see that there are two empty slots well exactly right underneath those empty ones are the other two but on the other side of the motherboard. So, I recommend that if you are going to take it apart do it carefully because I almost tore a piece from the CD-Rom Drive, there is a screw there that you have to take out from the inside.

If you are running Windows 8 x64 then it can take up to 32GB, if you are running Windows 7 then it can take up to 24GB, and anything below that is 16GB or if you are running the 32 bit then max will be 4GB.

• +
    0 Votes
    DChilds

I saw the same spec listed for the max amount of system memory, 32 GB with 4 slots.

Here's the url to the spec sheet I found:
    http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_P875-S7102.pdf

Gonna see if i can find a repair/user guide.

+
    0 Votes
    DChilds

Took a screenshot of the instructions on how to access and replace memory from pg 53 of the toshiba user's guide for this computer:

https://plus.google.com/photos/114089491969584166637/albums/5853272414023495729

User's guide from Toshiba (Which I remember you saying you'd already read.)
    http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/manuals/userguides/su3488230/GMAD00332011_Sat-SatPro-P800_12Dec17.pdf

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

If the remaining 2 RAM Sockets are not on the Bottom of the M'Board they have to be on the Top and the most likely place is Under the Keyboard.

If you have looked at all of the openings on the bottom and there are only 2 Sockets available on that side of the M'Board you have to look on the Top of the M'Board for the remaining 2 Sockets.

I don

+
    0 Votes
    ba2486

Yes A Repair Manual is What I Need.
    I have not been able to find one at least so far.

Page 53 or 48 thru 56 or do ib from the back side and fro adding extra memory as I have already done with 10 cas Latency modules which will be slowed down to the speed of the memory that came with the machine, so I have to replace those modules to get the benefit of the faster ram.

Thank you
    Bill Armstrong

I also want to thank all of you for your work and advise. There are other things I want to change such as the 10/100 NIC and Bluetooth 4.0, A repair Manual will let me know if I can do this, or if I have to change the Motherboard.

thanks again

+
    0 Votes
    ba2486

Yes very Involved
    The S875.S7310 is what I want to make out of this one, and maintain the 4 8gb memory slots as the P875-S7102 has instead of 2 8gb slots as the 7310 has.

Crucial been there they are wrong on this one.
    I have installed 2 8gb modules in the bottom and now have 24 gb of ram installed.
    So there is two other slots somewhere.

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

It does sound like you have plans that will require a full tear-down. You just want to know what you can expect to run into.

I know that it may not be intuitive as to all the steps required to disassemble a laptop. I had to remove a screw and then pop-out the keyboard on my laptop as part of getting to the hard drive.

LAN - most likely on the mainboard and cannot be changed.
    Blue-Tooth - I also expect that this will be on the mainboard and not a separate assembly.

As to the hard drives and the file format.
    Why not use the Western Digital version of Acronis (from the Western Digital support page) and either clone the original drive, or make other partition changes? The only requirement is that one of the connected drives must be a Western Digital.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

Found a few Microsoft pages that may be of interest to you.

Remove the space between the dot and the com.

http://msdn.microsoft. com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

http://support.microsoft. com/kb/297800

http://technet.microsoft. com/library/cc725671.aspx

http://technet.microsoft. com/library/cc725797.aspx

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

Lots of good stuff on this page.

http://msdn.microsoft. com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463075.aspx

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    ba2486

Thank you for the links yes lots of good material there!
    Not sure if Acronis will handle GPT disk I read there were some problems doing that.
    I have to know how to do it from installing a new raw hard drive, and am almost there.

I found out that if I turned on USB Legacy Emulation for Keyboard and Mouse allows to boot to boot order including USB and CD/DVD.
    I believe I have figured out the GPT setup and formatting, Have ordered another 1 tb HD, should be here in a couple days, The second HD will be MBR - GPT reads MBR.
    MBR don't read GPT.

also:
    From the GPT FAQ Page:

Q. Is it possible to make a sector-by-sector copy of a GPT disk?

A. No. The Disk and Partition GUIDs will no longer be unique. This must never happen. You can make a sector-by-sector copy of the contents of ESP or basic data partitions.

Q. Is there any way to copy a whole GPT disk using the OPK imaging tools?

A.
    Yes. However, there are some key caveats. The OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) initializes the Disk and Partition GUIDs to zero. On first boot of Windows, the operating system generates unique GUIDs. The OPK only supports generation of ESP, MSR, and basic data partitions.

If an application has recorded any Disk or Partition GUIDs it may break. Any applications, drivers, utilities, or firmware implementations supplied by system manufacturers or application vendors that rely on GUIDs should be capable of handling GUIDs that change from the OPK initialization values to those generated by the operating system.

Q. What is the Diskpart.efi MAKE command?

A.
    It is a way for OEMs to simplify operating system preinstallation and system recovery. This command can easily be extended to create a "default" disk configuration for the platform. For example, the system manufacturer could extend the MAKE command to automatically partition the boot drive with an ESP, MSR, an OEM-specific partition, and one basic data partition.

For example, consider a possible disk configuration called BOOT_DISK. In the event of business failure recovery, MAKE BOOT_DISK would allow the customer to completely repartition a boot disk to the original factory defaults.

Q. What happens if a duplicate Disk or Partition GUID is detected?

A. Windows will generate new GUIDs for any duplicate Disk GUID, MSR Partition GUID, or MSR basic data GUID upon detection. This is similar to the duplicate MBR signature handling in Windows 2000. Duplicate GUIDs on a dynamic container or database partition cause unpredictable results.

I understand most of this, I only read it once, - from one of your links.

The keyboard sits in through the case, no screws from the top to remove.
    I tried getting it apart, missed something, need to get my hands on a repair manual to keep from breaking some of this plastic.

as for the NIC and Bluetooth they will have to be Daughter boards, For it won't be worth the effort.

both are probably built in chips?

thanks again for your help
    Bill Armstrong

+
    0 Votes
    chapin85

I took it apart and the other two slots are exactly under de keyboard & mouse pad... so when you normally open the bottom part and see that there are two empty slots well exactly right underneath those empty ones are the other two but on the other side of the motherboard. So, I recommend that if you are going to take it apart do it carefully because I almost tore a piece from the CD-Rom Drive, there is a screw there that you have to take out from the inside.

If you are running Windows 8 x64 then it can take up to 32GB, if you are running Windows 7 then it can take up to 24GB, and anything below that is 16GB or if you are running the 32 bit then max will be 4GB.