Questions

Unable to access network share on 2008 server. Can Anyone Help?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Unable to access network share on 2008 server. Can Anyone Help?

scott_langshaw2
Hi All

Im just wondering if anyone can help me with this.

I am a technician in secondary school and we are having trouble with a few machines not picking up student or staff home drives when the users log on. The problem is specific to the machine as the same users can log into another machine with no problems.

After alot of investigating it seems that the machines are unable to connect to the share which holds the users home folders, when i try to access the share i get a box saying i do not have permission to view the folder.

I am able to browse to the share by using the FQDN and through the format \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME$ but unable to connect using \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME$.

Has anyone come across this before i am really struggling and would appreciate any help.

Thanks
  • +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

What is running on the machines not connecting?

Things like the OS in use and how it was added to the Domain I suppose. That has to be the starting point.

Also are these machines on a common subnet or Hub/Switch?

Col

+
    0 Votes
    scott_langshaw2

Hi

Sorry forgot to mention that we are using Windows 7 and are connected to the domain all our machines are connected the same way.

They are on a common subnet. I thought it was a DNS issue at first but i can nslookup the server with no issues and also it is not a site wide problem.

+
    0 Votes
    Kenone

Can you ping the server by it's IP address?
    Can you ping the server by server name?
    Have you done flushdns on any of the machines?

+
    0 Votes
    scott_langshaw2

Hi

Yep i can ping the server by both IP and name, ive have flushed DNS on the machines to no avail.

I can browse to the share like i said in my first post but i cannot path to it in the format \\SERVERNAME\SHARE$ which is causing problems for the users when they log on as they do not get there home area's mapped as this is the format that is set in the system.

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

Network security in local security policy? Lan Manager Authen Level? How about network discovery on those Win 7 computers? Just some thoughts, I will be curious to see what the actual problem is.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Hub/Switch getting hit by a spike?

I've had a lot of those things particularly the Domestic ones get hit by a Power Spike and behave screwy.

When this happens you need to unplug them allow the capacitors to discharge and plug them back in and things now work.

Basically if it worked before I start with the easy things as a First option and then work my way up to the more complex things when the easy solutions do not work.

But then again I'm lazy.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    tuningmycivic

check the settings on the dhcp server to verify which (if more than one is available) the workstations are getting. then check the records on that dns server and ensure the hostname/IP information is correct. if it statically defined, this is the first place i would look.

• +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

What is running on the machines not connecting?

Things like the OS in use and how it was added to the Domain I suppose. That has to be the starting point.

Also are these machines on a common subnet or Hub/Switch?

Col

+
    0 Votes
    scott_langshaw2

Hi

Sorry forgot to mention that we are using Windows 7 and are connected to the domain all our machines are connected the same way.

They are on a common subnet. I thought it was a DNS issue at first but i can nslookup the server with no issues and also it is not a site wide problem.

+
    0 Votes
    Kenone

Can you ping the server by it's IP address?
    Can you ping the server by server name?
    Have you done flushdns on any of the machines?

+
    0 Votes
    scott_langshaw2

Hi

Yep i can ping the server by both IP and name, ive have flushed DNS on the machines to no avail.

I can browse to the share like i said in my first post but i cannot path to it in the format \\SERVERNAME\SHARE$ which is causing problems for the users when they log on as they do not get there home area's mapped as this is the format that is set in the system.

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

Network security in local security policy? Lan Manager Authen Level? How about network discovery on those Win 7 computers? Just some thoughts, I will be curious to see what the actual problem is.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Hub/Switch getting hit by a spike?

I've had a lot of those things particularly the Domestic ones get hit by a Power Spike and behave screwy.

When this happens you need to unplug them allow the capacitors to discharge and plug them back in and things now work.

Basically if it worked before I start with the easy things as a First option and then work my way up to the more complex things when the easy solutions do not work.

But then again I'm lazy.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    tuningmycivic

check the settings on the dhcp server to verify which (if more than one is available) the workstations are getting. then check the records on that dns server and ensure the hostname/IP information is correct. if it statically defined, this is the first place i would look.