Questions

Unable to read from 500 Gig Hard Drive

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Unable to read from 500 Gig Hard Drive

chai714
I have a 500 gig external USB drive that I can't read from anymore. It appears in Windows Explorer, however when I try accessing the drive I get the error, "the drive cannot be accessed." What is the best practice to troubleshoot this issue?
  • +
    0 Votes
    The Listed 'G MAN'

See if it actually works first?

+
    0 Votes
    AshishS

I would first try installing the software driver before anything else incase the drivers are missing or corrupt. Download and install the driver and software from the manufacturer's web site.
    The USB port the drive is connected to, is it a 1.0 or 2.0? You are going to need 2.0 to be able to access a drive that big in size. 1.0 should be fine for flash drives.

+
    0 Votes
    carlsf

1) is the cable OK (try another USB Cable)
    2) does it require a power cable or USB powered
    3) when connected to a PC/Notebook does the drive spin or is the drive dead??
    4) Try it on another PC your PC/Notebook may ony be USB 1 and as stated a large drive will require USB

you can e-mail me if you wish cforster@orcon.net.nz

+
    0 Votes
    chai714

I ended up running ERD Commander and for some reason, was able to read from this drive but not from running Windows directly. Thank you for those who responded.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You are still none-the-wiser as to the cause!

+
    0 Votes
    chai714

I conclude that the problem was resolved because I was able to retrieve the data. I never did find the root of the problem. What I did however, was I pulled each of the 250 gigs out of the enclosure, formatted them, and they seem to be working fine.

+
    0 Votes

But

The Listed 'G MAN'

what is it happens again as the problem was in fact with the drive?

+
    0 Votes
    AshishS

I would first try installing the software driver before anything else incase the drivers are missing or corrupt. Download and install the driver and software from the manufacturer's web site.
    The USB port the drive is connected to, is it a 1.0 or 2.0? You are going to need 2.0 to be able to access a drive that big in size. 1.0 should be fine for flash drives.

+
    0 Votes
    carlsf

4) Try it on another PC your PC/Notebook may ony be USB 1 and as stated a large drive will require USB

+
    0 Votes
    chai714

I ended up running ERD Commander and for some reason, was able to read from this drive but not from running Windows directly. Thank you for those who responded.

• +
    0 Votes
    The Listed 'G MAN'

See if it actually works first?

+
    0 Votes
    AshishS

+
    0 Votes
    carlsf

+
    0 Votes
    chai714

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You are still none-the-wiser as to the cause!

+
    0 Votes
    chai714

I conclude that the problem was resolved because I was able to retrieve the data. I never did find the root of the problem. What I did however, was I pulled each of the 250 gigs out of the enclosure, formatted them, and they seem to be working fine.

+
    0 Votes

But

The Listed 'G MAN'

what is it happens again as the problem was in fact with the drive?

+
    0 Votes
    AshishS

+
    0 Votes
    carlsf

+
    0 Votes
    chai714