Questions

Upgrade from Office 2003 or buy a new package.

+
0 Votes

Upgrade from Office 2003 or buy a new package.

dunch
Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer.
I am running MS Office 2003 Professional (on a laptop - 1.73 GHz Intel Pentium processor with 504MB ram) and think it is time I upgraded to at least Office 2007 or even 2010 (depending upon price).
I have searched MS website for downloads but cannot find any for 2007. I seem to recall that previous Professional Editions of Office in the past, allowed you to upgrade to the next level at a much reduced cost. This would obviously be my preferred option.
However because 2007 is so vastly different to 2003, I don't even know whether I can upgrade or whether I have to bite the bullet and pay for a complete new package, in which case I might as well go for 2010.
Before any one kindly suggests one of the cheaper versions (i.e. Student edition), I need a version that provides MS Access for my database work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Duncan
  • +
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

You may find this interesting

http://arstechnica .com/microsoft/news/2010/01/why-microsoft-killed-upgrade-versions-for-office-2010.ars

+
    1 Votes
    TheChas

If this ends up being a double post, I apologize.

My first question is why do you want a newer version of Office?

Unless you collaborate with others who are using Office 2007 or 2010, or need full docx and xlsx support, I would wait and switch to a new version of Office when you replace your computer.

Depending on how and what you user Office for, you could consider the Home and Business or the Home and Student versions.

Anyway you go, look at the benefit of the more expensive 2 PC versions of Office. Not only can you install Office on your primary and secondary computers, but the single PC version does not allow you to transfer your copy of Office to another computer.

If you do not need Outlook or some of the other advanced features of Office Professional, you might take a look at Libre Office.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    databaseben

whenever microsoft releases a new version of software, the older ones are no longer made available. so your about 4 years too late to get office 2007.

i am not impressed with office 2007 and discovered it was a waste of money, since a lot of the new features, i don't use or need especially the "ribbon toolbar", which i replaced with an add on that gave me the basic menu's found in 2003.

i would stick with office 2003 but also install libre office, since it is more powerful than office 2003 and free too.

however, since you are a database builder, i would certainly bite the bullet and buy the current version of msaccess, because unlike word, outlook, etc,...., msaccess will have updated codes required for building todays databases.

incidentally, keep in mind that if you do buy a new MSAccess, don't allow it to upgrade / replace your 2003 version. Instead, it will be best to have both msaccess 2003 and 2010 installed on the computer.

• +
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

You may find this interesting

http://arstechnica .com/microsoft/news/2010/01/why-microsoft-killed-upgrade-versions-for-office-2010.ars

+
    1 Votes
    TheChas

If this ends up being a double post, I apologize.

My first question is why do you want a newer version of Office?

Unless you collaborate with others who are using Office 2007 or 2010, or need full docx and xlsx support, I would wait and switch to a new version of Office when you replace your computer.

Depending on how and what you user Office for, you could consider the Home and Business or the Home and Student versions.

Anyway you go, look at the benefit of the more expensive 2 PC versions of Office. Not only can you install Office on your primary and secondary computers, but the single PC version does not allow you to transfer your copy of Office to another computer.

If you do not need Outlook or some of the other advanced features of Office Professional, you might take a look at Libre Office.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    databaseben

whenever microsoft releases a new version of software, the older ones are no longer made available. so your about 4 years too late to get office 2007.

i am not impressed with office 2007 and discovered it was a waste of money, since a lot of the new features, i don't use or need especially the "ribbon toolbar", which i replaced with an add on that gave me the basic menu's found in 2003.

i would stick with office 2003 but also install libre office, since it is more powerful than office 2003 and free too.

however, since you are a database builder, i would certainly bite the bullet and buy the current version of msaccess, because unlike word, outlook, etc,...., msaccess will have updated codes required for building todays databases.

incidentally, keep in mind that if you do buy a new MSAccess, don't allow it to upgrade / replace your 2003 version. Instead, it will be best to have both msaccess 2003 and 2010 installed on the computer.