Questions

Upgrading OS via Image software

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Upgrading OS via Image software

quinn0415
Hi, I have been assigned a project for college to come up with a solution for upgrading 100 computers from Windows XP professional, there are 75 desktops and 25 laptops all 5 years old. The solution I came up with would be to use a program such as Windows SCCM or Norton Ghost v 15. I would upload the Image to a file server and use that image for the upgrade.

Is this possible considering the circumstances?

Is this a good option or is there a better option available?

Would i need to create an ISO for the boot disk and enable wake on LAN in bios (not sure if that's what it is called)?

Would there be any complications with the upgrade from Windows XP professional to Windows 7 professional 32 bit?

Lastly can anyone give me an estimated time for upgrading each computer, or let
  • +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Very well could be with machines that old. Have you tried running the Window 7 Upgrade Adviser on any of these computers?

At the very least it will tell you any Hardware or Software that is not supported and you can make a decision on how to proceed from there.

http://www.microsoft .com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20
    remember to remove the space from between microsoft and the .com for a working link.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

In addition to Col's answer, how many different hardware configurations do you have?
    You will want a different image for each hardware configuration.
    While you are at it, include approved patches and common applications in your image.

How are you handling the licensing?
    Do you have 100 new copies of Windows 7, Windows 7 upgrade, or a volume license?

At 5 years old, I would strongly recommend new hard drives and CPU fans.
    Your getting very close if not past MTBF.

Make sure to harvest all the dust bunnies and check the power supply fans.

Personally, I would also recommend installing the maximum amount of RAM the machines can handle.

As to time, that depends on what you need to do for applications, user profiles and user data files.

If you have to backup and restore user data, figure on a minimum of an hour for each backup and restore. About 1/2 hour to install an image from a DVD. An hour plus for a network install. About 2 hours to manually install the Windows 7 upgrade version from the DVD.

All systems do have DVD drives?

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    a.portman

Check the hardware. I have seen Windows 7 pro run on a 5 year old laptop. It works for the user. Check the memory and CPU and make sure the hardware will run Win 7. Clean out the dust bunnies. That is messy work and you should use a computer specific vacuum or blower.

As Chas mentioned, get your licenses in order for Windows 7.

How many different hardware configurations you have really. 75 Dell Optiplex whatevers one image. 75 donated computers that look like they are from a garage sale, one per model.

Build your image. What do you want on the new computer? Set it up and install configure and test. Then have someone else do the same thing. It is way better to spend an extra day setting the image just right than going back and installing Firefox and Adobe Reader, because you forgot to add them to the image.

What to use? Ghost is perfect. There are other paid for Image products. I have used PING, but it started messing up for me. Now I use Macrium Reflect from the Hiren's Boot CD. Very easy to use, free and reliable.

How long and how many. I tend to image from a boot CD and the image on an USB drive. To do a lab I use 5 sets. Between 10 and 20 minutes per machine. You can also image from a image file on a server. The more machines hitting the server, the longer it will take, but with a handful of CDs you can run 10 at a time depending on the image. The image size and the connection are the determining factor. Windows 7, Office 2010 and some utilities gives me a 9 Gb image. Toss in more software, a stack of files, your times will vary.

If we just helped you with your homework, I hope we get an A.

+
    0 Votes
    CoMO Tigers

I would say your situation depends on your license. I would for a university so we have a pretty good licensing with Microsoft. With that being said I use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit [MDT], which also us to use the same image across many different types of hardware. MDT has the ability to join the domain, silently install applications and migrate data via the user state migration tool. With my campus' Microsoft license MDT is a free tool.

• +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Very well could be with machines that old. Have you tried running the Window 7 Upgrade Adviser on any of these computers?

At the very least it will tell you any Hardware or Software that is not supported and you can make a decision on how to proceed from there.

http://www.microsoft .com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20
    remember to remove the space from between microsoft and the .com for a working link.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    TheChas

In addition to Col's answer, how many different hardware configurations do you have?
    You will want a different image for each hardware configuration.
    While you are at it, include approved patches and common applications in your image.

How are you handling the licensing?
    Do you have 100 new copies of Windows 7, Windows 7 upgrade, or a volume license?

At 5 years old, I would strongly recommend new hard drives and CPU fans.
    Your getting very close if not past MTBF.

Make sure to harvest all the dust bunnies and check the power supply fans.

Personally, I would also recommend installing the maximum amount of RAM the machines can handle.

As to time, that depends on what you need to do for applications, user profiles and user data files.

If you have to backup and restore user data, figure on a minimum of an hour for each backup and restore. About 1/2 hour to install an image from a DVD. An hour plus for a network install. About 2 hours to manually install the Windows 7 upgrade version from the DVD.

All systems do have DVD drives?

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    a.portman

Check the hardware. I have seen Windows 7 pro run on a 5 year old laptop. It works for the user. Check the memory and CPU and make sure the hardware will run Win 7. Clean out the dust bunnies. That is messy work and you should use a computer specific vacuum or blower.

As Chas mentioned, get your licenses in order for Windows 7.

How many different hardware configurations you have really. 75 Dell Optiplex whatevers one image. 75 donated computers that look like they are from a garage sale, one per model.

Build your image. What do you want on the new computer? Set it up and install configure and test. Then have someone else do the same thing. It is way better to spend an extra day setting the image just right than going back and installing Firefox and Adobe Reader, because you forgot to add them to the image.

What to use? Ghost is perfect. There are other paid for Image products. I have used PING, but it started messing up for me. Now I use Macrium Reflect from the Hiren's Boot CD. Very easy to use, free and reliable.

How long and how many. I tend to image from a boot CD and the image on an USB drive. To do a lab I use 5 sets. Between 10 and 20 minutes per machine. You can also image from a image file on a server. The more machines hitting the server, the longer it will take, but with a handful of CDs you can run 10 at a time depending on the image. The image size and the connection are the determining factor. Windows 7, Office 2010 and some utilities gives me a 9 Gb image. Toss in more software, a stack of files, your times will vary.

If we just helped you with your homework, I hope we get an A.

+
    0 Votes
    CoMO Tigers

I would say your situation depends on your license. I would for a university so we have a pretty good licensing with Microsoft. With that being said I use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit [MDT], which also us to use the same image across many different types of hardware. MDT has the ability to join the domain, silently install applications and migrate data via the user state migration tool. With my campus' Microsoft license MDT is a free tool.