Questions

Viewing Problem in Outlook 2003

+
0 Votes

Viewing Problem in Outlook 2003

fitgirl
I received an email today from someone within my organization where everytime an apostrophe or the "@" was used it was replaced with "???" or "???". We both are running Windows XP SP2, MS Outlook 2003 SP1. I didn't see anything in MS Office SP2 documentation that dealt with this. Upgrading to Office 2007 not an option.

Why is this doing this?

Anyone know if it is my problem or the person who composed the email? Others see the same thing but where should we fix?

Tx,
Fitgirl
  • +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Settings in the Control Panel? It sounds as if the wrong version of your default Language has been selected and this will cause this to happen.

All that should be required to fix the problem is to select and apply the correct Default Language then remove the existing Language. Of course this only applies to the English Versions of Windows XP if you are running a French or German Version there could be other differences.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    fitgirl

We checked those Regional and Language Options. Both Standards and Formats and Location were set to United States. Is there somehting else?

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Display the dates as Day/Month/Year, where as US English tends to display the date as Month/Day/Year.

But I can remember changing the default Date Format on 1 XP Pro machine here that needed the Month/Day/Year format but not the US English Dictionaries and we did it through the Regional Settings Option if I remember correctly.

Though I seem to remember having to wade through a lot of the Help Files to get what was required.

Col

• +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Settings in the Control Panel? It sounds as if the wrong version of your default Language has been selected and this will cause this to happen.

All that should be required to fix the problem is to select and apply the correct Default Language then remove the existing Language. Of course this only applies to the English Versions of Windows XP if you are running a French or German Version there could be other differences.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    fitgirl

We checked those Regional and Language Options. Both Standards and Formats and Location were set to United States. Is there somehting else?

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Display the dates as Day/Month/Year, where as US English tends to display the date as Month/Day/Year.

But I can remember changing the default Date Format on 1 XP Pro machine here that needed the Month/Day/Year format but not the US English Dictionaries and we did it through the Regional Settings Option if I remember correctly.

Though I seem to remember having to wade through a lot of the Help Files to get what was required.

Col