Questions

Virtual Server 2005 - Loopback Adapter/ICS question

+
0 Votes

Virtual Server 2005 - Loopback Adapter/ICS question

jeff.muus
Hello,

I am trying to setup a virtual network that allows file sharing between VPC's shared through virtual server 2005.

Overview - I am trying to have lets say 5 computers with the same name (because of database connectivity - we need more than 1 person using the same PC so we needed copies of a VPC for others to use.) So we cannot have them on our network because they have the same name, but we need to be able to have file sharing from the Virtual Machines to the Server that hosts Virtual Server 2005.

So, I am trying to set up a loopback connection for this. I have installed the loopback connection and set it to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.

I am trying to set ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) and am not sure if I need to put it on the host(The server that hosts Virtual Server 2005) or on the first Virtual Machine that I have created and set the loopback adapter on? I started to create it on the VM but now realize that might not be correct.

Also, do I need to have any of the Internet Connection Sharing settings set for this type of file sharing?

I tried to skip the ICS step and create the Virtual Network inside Virtual Server 2005 and I did not see the Loopback Adapter to add it as a network adapter.

Thank you for your help.

Jeff M.