Questions

Answer for:

what does PREINSTALLED Windows 7 mean?

Message 15 of 17

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
OH Smeg

It means that ASUS has done what M$ call a OPK Install where you have to enter your User Name, Password if you want one, Master Password again if you want one and finally the Product Key which is a 25 Digit Alpha Numeric String letters and numbers located on the COA a sticker with the Version of Windows 7 always located on the bottom of the Lap Top.

Though if you are anything like me you'll need a magnifying glass to read the Product Key.

After you have entered your Personal Details you will need to Activate the OS with M$ within 28 Days of first starting the completed Installed OS, this can be done one of two ways Activate On Line takes a few seconds but you do need a active Internet connection to do this or you can chose to Activate Manually over the Phone where you speak to a person or do as M$ want enter the Product Key through a Touch Phone's Key Pad. The System will then generate a Activation Code which is a One Time only use which you enter into the Boxes provided on the screen.

You will be Prompted to Register Windows 7 with M$ but this isn't necessary if you don't want to do it. Just Activating the Windows 7 Product is all that is required.

As for a 60 Day Limit this is M$ Office 2007 Trial which is installed onto all new Systems by the system builders to show what else is available in the form of Microsoft Software. M$ Office has no relation to M$ Windows other than you need the Windows OS to run the Office Product. Office 2007 Trial consists of Applications Word, Power Point, Outlook, Excel, Access and maybe Publisher. I'm not sure about the last one as I don't use M$ Office 2007 because it uses a different File Format for it's Documents which may not be possible to read on another computer without the M$ Office 2007 Suite installed.

To me the quoted $150.00 sounds very much like the cost of a M$ Office 2007 License which is a Optional Extra that can be purchased after you buy a computer if you like. You don't need to use it unless you require those Applications and even then the Desk Top Icon clearly Identifies the Version of Office that you have as a 60 Day Trial.

If you don't want to pay for the M$ Office Suite there are other Office Suites available with Open Office being the free option which may or may not suit your needs.

Think of M$ office as the Optional Air Conditioning that you can get with a new car. You don't need that option installed to use the car but it may make the use of the car more comfortable for you.

Col