Questions

What is the best Linux Distribution for a Pentium III 550?

+
0 Votes

What is the best Linux Distribution for a Pentium III 550?

ipeters61
I have an older Compaq Deskpro with a Pentium III 550 MHz, 384 MB of Memory, 40 GB Hard Disk, 8 MB ATI Graphics, 16x DVD Burner, and Windows XP Professional. I upgraded the hard drive from a 10 GB to a 40 GB to dual-boot with Linux. What is the best Linux distribution for home/office work that would work on this computer?
  • +
    0 Votes
    ManiacMan

It really depends on your preference and what components you will install with it, as Linux isn't Windows and doesn't require crazy and bloated system specs to get it running. You can run Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Ubuntu, etc. Also, realize that if you install Linux to run as a server, you'll need more hard drive space and RAM, but nothing as crazy as what Windows requires. Check out the system requirements of these various flavors of Linux as I'm sure your current setup is more than ideal.

+
    0 Votes
    scott_heath

Linux will reuire less juice than Windows XP, but as always, it depends on what you will be doing with it. For the simple user it al comes down to the Desktop Environment you use, like KDE or Gnome. Pluse there are tons of customizable window managers. Check it www.linux.org or www.linux.com for some info.

+
    0 Votes
    cjgau

DSL distro (Damn Small Linux) is a 50MB distro, fast booting and provides decent desktop enviroment with careful choice of application.

It also has USB, LiveCD, and Window embedded versions. In addition, the remastering scheme is very good.

• +
    0 Votes
    ManiacMan

It really depends on your preference and what components you will install with it, as Linux isn't Windows and doesn't require crazy and bloated system specs to get it running. You can run Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Ubuntu, etc. Also, realize that if you install Linux to run as a server, you'll need more hard drive space and RAM, but nothing as crazy as what Windows requires. Check out the system requirements of these various flavors of Linux as I'm sure your current setup is more than ideal.

+
    0 Votes
    scott_heath

Linux will reuire less juice than Windows XP, but as always, it depends on what you will be doing with it. For the simple user it al comes down to the Desktop Environment you use, like KDE or Gnome. Pluse there are tons of customizable window managers. Check it www.linux.org or www.linux.com for some info.

+
    0 Votes
    cjgau

DSL distro (Damn Small Linux) is a 50MB distro, fast booting and provides decent desktop enviroment with careful choice of application.

It also has USB, LiveCD, and Window embedded versions. In addition, the remastering scheme is very good.