Questions

Answer for:

What should be my top concerns for being the only IT person?

Message 13 of 23

View entire thread
+
1 Votes
it_help

I wouldn't have normally commented except that you mention that this job requires you to relocate and a commitment like that deserves a comment from someone who's been there. There are 2 types of IT departments. Those that spend all of their time putting out fires, and those that spend (most of) their time developing new process/procedures. Usually, that is because the company that you're working for doesn't know what they need. They hire IT people like you'd hire a plumber (no offense to any plumbers!). Lowest bidder gets the job. They don't see that an experienced person can actually save them money in the long run. In every job I've had, I've recouped my salary for the company in less than 1 year by streamlining processes and bringing new ideas to old ways of doing business.
You mentioned that you know a decent amount of server 2008, which sounds to me as though you'd be a great asset to any company as an assistant network administrator. Take a job under someone else until you know your trade inside and out and are ready to take over your bosses job. Then, after doing that with an assistant under you so that you have someone else to lean on, try running a department on your own.
Develop your skills in budgeting, project management, leadership, conflict resolution. Can you sway an entire board into buying into your plans for the company? What grounds do you have to do so? What proactive measures should you take to ensure the safety and reliability of your network? How are your MS Office skills? Can you stay on the forefront of new technology, and keep this place running smoothly at the same time? If there's little documentation available now, does that mean that your predecessor didn't know how to do it, or didn't have the time to do it?
Everyone in your company will rely on you for every little thing and needs to have the confidence that you can do the job. That requires a strong back, a quick mind, a gentle ego and a thick skin. You'll get yelled at - people are stressed when their computers don't work - there's a deadline and that means pressure for everyone! And yes, you should know how to plug in every projector that every user wants to use. It's the task you've accepted. And when they ask you do design a web page, you'll take that on to. It's part of the 1-man job. I often joke that I'm in charge of anything that plugs into an outlet. I have 14 virtualized servers, maintain our website, host Exchange, VOIP communications, remote offices on subnets, Citrix for those working at home, the works...but I still fix the printer, formulate excel equations and help people get their personal apps to work on our company phone. It's what they want. And as you're learning, if you won't do it for them, they'll start looking for the next guy. There won't be any parties thrown for you when you do a good job and their computers turn on in the morning. It's what's expected. And yes, fires happen (in my case it was a flood, but same difference). In a well run shop though, fires should be the exception, not the rule. My advice: Go to a shop where you can be part of a team and develop your career. You may get the reins at this job, but if you run it into the ground, it could ruin your career.