Questions

Why Applications run slow on Windows server 2003/2000 yet fine on win XP/7?

+
0 Votes

Why Applications run slow on Windows server 2003/2000 yet fine on win XP/7?

markp24
Hi all,

This is a tough one, We have a few home grown applications that do some serious calulations. We are seeing that it takes 3 minutes on a windows XP laptop (spec 2.4 ghz dual core, 2 gb ram, windows xp pro 32 bit) (same timing on a Windows 7 pro x64, 2.8 ghz Core I-7 with 8 gb ram) an when we go to a server console, install tha ppalication and attempt to run it takes 6 to 8 mins for the same calculation run. (server spec - Windows 2003 R2 server (x64), 4 gb ram, Dual core 2.4 ghz processor) (also same timing on a windows 2000 x32 server, 2 gb ram, 3.2 ghz dual processor)
What we see on the server is the CPU spikes to 100% during the calculation phase, memory and disk usage are minimal, yet on the Desktop OS's the cpu usage never goes above 40% (same caculations and data is used.)
Any thooughts on what may cause this type of behavior? I was thinking it may be some service that windows server uses vs their desktop OS that is conflicting? I have played with the background /foreground settings on the advanced tab of system properties.

any thoughts are welcome.
  • +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Any idea what these apps where written in?

That could be a contributing factor here.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    markp24

/Well this is the interesting part, it seems all apps we have behave this way ?(4 of them)
    one is written in .net the other in C++ and the other on C sharp, not sure what the 4th is written in,

but i decided to do another test with a huge excel file, see how long that take s to load in each environment, from there if Microsofts app behaves the same way i can start looking more at the OS then the app and maybe contact MS for help?

any other test you think i can do to narrowdown the cause of this?

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

No I would try doing it that way. After all it could be related to the OS here.

Yes I can't see how but it's possible.

Lets know how you get on.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    markp24

hello Col,

i figured i should update you on my findings. I have narrowed application #1 to run fine in windows XP, yet its 1 min slower in windows 7 (32 bit), and 2 min slower in windows 7 (64 bit) and same 2 min slower in server 2008 r2 so i concluded this has to go back to development to work out that issue.
    application #2 has the same response time on 32 and 64 bit platforms, and same response time on each OS listed above, once i run it via the citrix wen interface it then slows down by 30 secs. that one i have to post to Citrix or maybe Microsoft (TS group?)
    so anyway after 18 varied tests i have proven the above. So this may be a case of it is what it is and deal with it scenario for app #2. LOL
    thanks for the assistance though

• +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Any idea what these apps where written in?

That could be a contributing factor here.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    markp24

/Well this is the interesting part, it seems all apps we have behave this way ?(4 of them)
    one is written in .net the other in C++ and the other on C sharp, not sure what the 4th is written in,

but i decided to do another test with a huge excel file, see how long that take s to load in each environment, from there if Microsofts app behaves the same way i can start looking more at the OS then the app and maybe contact MS for help?

any other test you think i can do to narrowdown the cause of this?

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

No I would try doing it that way. After all it could be related to the OS here.

Yes I can't see how but it's possible.

Lets know how you get on.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    markp24

hello Col,

i figured i should update you on my findings. I have narrowed application #1 to run fine in windows XP, yet its 1 min slower in windows 7 (32 bit), and 2 min slower in windows 7 (64 bit) and same 2 min slower in server 2008 r2 so i concluded this has to go back to development to work out that issue.
    application #2 has the same response time on 32 and 64 bit platforms, and same response time on each OS listed above, once i run it via the citrix wen interface it then slows down by 30 secs. that one i have to post to Citrix or maybe Microsoft (TS group?)
    so anyway after 18 varied tests i have proven the above. So this may be a case of it is what it is and deal with it scenario for app #2. LOL
    thanks for the assistance though