Questions

Why can't I install windows on a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop?

+
0 Votes

Why can't I install windows on a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop?

anansiman
I can't seem to install windows on this Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop. I tried to install win 7 and the computer got as far "expanding files 0% completed". It stays there for a few minutes and then the computer says "installation was cancelled, please check to make sure that all installation files are available." When I tried to install win XP, it copys the windows files, but before I get to the screen to choose the drive to install windows I get the blue screen of death that recommends for me to run checkdsk. I took out the hard drive and replaced it with a brand new HDD 320G, but I am getting the very same results. What am I doing wrong? The computer came with windows 7.
  • +
    0 Votes
    markp24

Hi

you may want to set the bios Sata setting to native/compaible. and try again.
    let me know if that helps,

+
    0 Votes
    anansiman

That did not work, my friend.

+
    0 Votes
    markp24

darn, hoping that ws the issue, i see the other guys posted too, im sure one of us will have a helpful solution.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

In the past with the Windows Installer I've found Timing Issues with RAM to cause massive problems. This only happens when more RAM is added after the system is bought and you have different Makes or versions of RAM Installed and all Check out Individually OK but produce errors when it's all fitted.

Doesn't matter that Windows was working perfectly previously you can not install it after you wipe the HDD. If that's what's happening here you need to reduce the Installed RAM to 1 Module and install Windows then after it's installed refit the RAM and it will be OK.

Lets know if that works.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    anansiman

I am sure RAM is not an issue with this computer, but I am told that it was exposed to the internet without any protection (anti-virus/antispyware) for a few months, when their subsription expired. Thanks for your input!

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

The RAM itself can be fine

But it may not support installing the OS with it all fitted. Even if it had an infection that would not prevent Windows being installed.

When you get even tiny timing issues with RAM it does prevent Windows from installing. Things can range from random BSOD to error messages that a file is missing from the Install Media. Even then if you run the same install Media it will give a different result every attempt to install with a different file name missing or corrupt.

After all what have you got to loose except a little bit of time if you remove all but 1 RAM Module and the OS doesn't install? Of course if it does you have solved the problem and then after you have installed the OS you can refit the remaining RAM and the owner will be as happy as Larry without being any the wiser.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    anansiman

Col,
    You were right on the money all along! It turns out that the computer came with two banks of RAM memory, and even though the memory banks look the same externally, Once I took out one of them, I had no problem loading windows on the laptop! Thank you! I am humbled!

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

You're welcome

The first time I ran into this it nearly drove me crazy but it was a lesson well learned and never forgotten.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    DaveTheCompGuy

OK, you've tried two *different* HDDs, and had the exact same error - so that eliminates the HDD as an issue. And if you haven't changed the RAM from the original setup that was running, it's probably not that either. Have a close look at your install disk. I suspect it's damaged, which causes it to fail at the same spot each time. "A file is missing from the Install Media" is your strongest clue.

BTW, a quick way to test the hardware - see if it will boot up to a boot disk, such as a Linux live disk. If that works - you're having software issues, not hardware.

+
    0 Votes
    VIVEKSINGHNEGI7

i am unable to install windows 7 on my dell inspiron 1440. whereas alll other OS works fine.. i earliar had windows 7 ,one day suddenly windows installer stopped working when i installed facebook chat S/W. from that day i am unable to use windows7 . problem is while booting it does not move from (0 % copying to further) and does not show any message. please help.. i did not extenden any RAM.

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

Try re-posting in the Q&A
    section as a new question.Adding your question on to an older one will often get it missed by folks that will be able to help you. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer". .

• +
    0 Votes
    markp24

Hi

you may want to set the bios Sata setting to native/compaible. and try again.
    let me know if that helps,

+
    0 Votes
    anansiman

That did not work, my friend.

+
    0 Votes
    markp24

darn, hoping that ws the issue, i see the other guys posted too, im sure one of us will have a helpful solution.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

In the past with the Windows Installer I've found Timing Issues with RAM to cause massive problems. This only happens when more RAM is added after the system is bought and you have different Makes or versions of RAM Installed and all Check out Individually OK but produce errors when it's all fitted.

Doesn't matter that Windows was working perfectly previously you can not install it after you wipe the HDD. If that's what's happening here you need to reduce the Installed RAM to 1 Module and install Windows then after it's installed refit the RAM and it will be OK.

Lets know if that works.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    anansiman

I am sure RAM is not an issue with this computer, but I am told that it was exposed to the internet without any protection (anti-virus/antispyware) for a few months, when their subsription expired. Thanks for your input!

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

The RAM itself can be fine

But it may not support installing the OS with it all fitted. Even if it had an infection that would not prevent Windows being installed.

When you get even tiny timing issues with RAM it does prevent Windows from installing. Things can range from random BSOD to error messages that a file is missing from the Install Media. Even then if you run the same install Media it will give a different result every attempt to install with a different file name missing or corrupt.

After all what have you got to loose except a little bit of time if you remove all but 1 RAM Module and the OS doesn't install? Of course if it does you have solved the problem and then after you have installed the OS you can refit the remaining RAM and the owner will be as happy as Larry without being any the wiser.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    anansiman

Col,
    You were right on the money all along! It turns out that the computer came with two banks of RAM memory, and even though the memory banks look the same externally, Once I took out one of them, I had no problem loading windows on the laptop! Thank you! I am humbled!

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

You're welcome

The first time I ran into this it nearly drove me crazy but it was a lesson well learned and never forgotten.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    DaveTheCompGuy

OK, you've tried two *different* HDDs, and had the exact same error - so that eliminates the HDD as an issue. And if you haven't changed the RAM from the original setup that was running, it's probably not that either. Have a close look at your install disk. I suspect it's damaged, which causes it to fail at the same spot each time. "A file is missing from the Install Media" is your strongest clue.

BTW, a quick way to test the hardware - see if it will boot up to a boot disk, such as a Linux live disk. If that works - you're having software issues, not hardware.

+
    0 Votes
    VIVEKSINGHNEGI7

i am unable to install windows 7 on my dell inspiron 1440. whereas alll other OS works fine.. i earliar had windows 7 ,one day suddenly windows installer stopped working when i installed facebook chat S/W. from that day i am unable to use windows7 . problem is while booting it does not move from (0 % copying to further) and does not show any message. please help.. i did not extenden any RAM.

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

Try re-posting in the Q&A
    section as a new question.Adding your question on to an older one will often get it missed by folks that will be able to help you. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer". .