Questions

Answer for:

Why does Windows 7 64-bit stop responding?

Message 11 of 21

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
OldER Mycroft

Firstly, is this Ready Boost being provided by a thumb drive that is designed for use as Ready Boost? Does it actually have a legend on it to say it is suitable? Thumb drives that are suitable for Ready Boost generally have a closer-packed format and are slightly faster within themselves (they'll never be as fast as internal RAM due to the limitations of USB 2.0 but they're faster than standard thumb drives).

Second - This "help file for changing the size of virtual memory" - is this the Windows help file or are you getting this from your TuneUp program? Either way, I don't agree with what it is telling you. Any Pagefile that has a variance between the Minimum and the Maximum means that the size of the Pagefile varies throughout each session, expanding and contracting as required. This can result in the Pagefile getting broken up and becoming fragmented.

For maximum stability I always set the 'Minimum' and the 'Maximum' to the same figure (2x total RAM). That way there is a permanent area on the hard drive that is allocated for the Pagefile and it tends to prevent the Pagefile from becoming fragmented. The problem with a fragmented Pagefile is that you cannot defragment it while the system is running, because the system is using it (and you can't defragment a file while it is in use). This requires that you defrag it at BOOT, before it has become occupied and not all defragmentation programs are capable of this procedure.

I'd go into the Pagefile and set the Minimum and the Maximum to the same figure of 6144MB clicking out of the set-up screen THEN REBOOT.

I'm just wondering - WHEN did this slowdown begin? Is there anything that you did to the system just BEFORE you noticed the stuttering happening?