Questions

Win 2000 wont print to IP printer

+
0 Votes

Win 2000 wont print to IP printer

stopsendingemails
Hi,

I have a Laserwriter 16/600 on my network that I am able to print to from a mac but I cant print to it from my win 2000 PC.

I have added the printer, and changed the permisions to let all print, I can ping it and in the print dialog box it says the printer status is : ready

But I immediately get an error msg that says: "There was an error when printing teh document 'foo" to IP_192.168.1.105

Is the 'IP_" in front of the Ip address a clue [that was automatically assigned when I put in the IP address ... it does have another name.

I am not much of a PC person but I think I have done all the normal things ok, but then again ...

Any help/pointer appreciated
  • +
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

Do you have the printer driver installed?

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

I believe it does already have the driver because it has HP listed under Manufacturers:

in the printer Wizard and 'Apple Laserwriter 16/600 PS' in the Printers: list .... and it also asked me if I wanted to use the existing driver at one point in the process

I have made a Standard TCP/IP port for it and it found the printer when I provided the IP number [when I provided the wrong IP number however it didd not find the printer]

I have read at:
    www-jerry.oit.duke.edu/community/howto/pc/add_tcpip_printer.html

about using a 'Windows Component" so I can choose a. 'LPR port' instead because it is an older printer ...

so I am wondering how to get the 'windows component' for an LPR port ??? and I have not been able to locate a 'new' driver for this printer at HP ...

I dont think HP wants people to remember these devices. Mine probably has 300k worth of impressions left and cost me more for shipping that the unit itself, they are workhorses ... but hopefully I have the driver already since the printer Wizard seems to think so [it _is_ a Wizard after all, right?]

thanks much

- john jay

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

As I do not recall a laserwriter 16/600 before.
    Nor do I recall a Laserjet 16 or LJ 600.
    The product # should either be under the lid, or opening a back compartent, or on the back of the unit. Note, if inside, you will NOT need to remove any components/consumables to see it.

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

, from the side panel with Apple info: M2680

and identified as a Laserwriter 16/600 PS on the startup printout sheet and label on the case. made in 1996 ...

- john jay miller

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

I didnt find anything on HP site. But, on the Apple site I found it under laserwriter 16/600 (in support). Lots of docs listing printing problems and using an older driver (I believe for MAC OS). A few stating how to get it to work in Win 95. But, nothing for 2K, XP.
    In Downloads the only drivers avail are for Win 95 as well. So it may just be driver support issues. If you really need to print from your other system, I would suggest picking up a newer printer that has support for Apple/PC. I heve seen some newer color LJs for less than $300 from HP recently, and LJ's from $150

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

Hi,

Thanks for all your efforts, this stuff can be so time consuming

No HP does not want these machines acknowledged much at all. When I put it on my network for use with a mac, I had to use the HP knowledge base and was very impressed with the prompt advice I got from a person there, it works like a charm. --

But a few days after I got the printer working I saw that they pulled the thread from the KB site ... sure, buy a new one rather than using an old workhorse that turns out fine prints and has 300K impressions left w/o major service ...
    We have a Lexmark does everthing .. what a rip, $$$ for ink that dries out in a week if its not used every other day ...

I do appreciate your time on this, regardless of this outcome I have a high regard for TechRepublic [a new site to me] because of your help.

Besst Regards

- John Jay Miller

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

I believe it does already have the driver because it has HP listed under Manufacturers:

in the printer Wizard and 'Apple Laserwriter 16/600 PS' in the Printers: list .... and it also asked me if I wanted to use the existing driver at one point in the process

I have made a Standard TCP/IP port for it and it found the printer when I provided the IP number [when I provided the wrong IP number however it didd not find the printer]

I have read at:

about using a 'Windows Component" so I can choose a. 'LPR port' instead because it is an older printer ...

so I am wondering how to get the 'windows component' for an LPR port ??? and I have not been able to locate a 'new' driver for this printer at HP ...

I dont think HP wants people to remember these devices. Mine probably has 300k worth of impressions left and cost me more for shipping that the unit itself, they are workhorses ... but hopefully I have the driver already since the printer Wizard seems to think so [it _is_ a Wizard after all, right?]

thanks much

- john jay

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

I have always had to install the Apple Port Monitor on any computer that I wanted to install any Apple Printer on. The one I have came on a CD with the printer years ago. I have kept it and also copied it to different computers in case the CD goes bad. The CD is called Apple Printer Software Collection. This is the only way I have found to make the printer reliable. Hope this helps.

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

I appreciate it and will look into these pointers.

I am still need to get an LPR port option in the Add Printer task .. I tried the LPTx port option but that didnt work ... I have seen a ref. that with older laserwriters you have to use the LPR port ...

thanks again - john jay

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

When you are installing the printer in the add printer wizard, if you choose TCP port and follow the screens you will get one that says Additional Port Information Required near the top of the window. On this window choose Custom and then click on Settings, in the window that comes up you will be able to select LPR as the protocol and enter the LPR settings.

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

after choosing local printer,

with - use the following port

I can select a number of options
    LPTx
    Comx
    File:
    USB:
    and some others
    that are for PDF and some junk that I probably created in this process that I have to get rid of

I did create a Standard TCP/IP port and selectd the printer and model but it does not work as indicated above,
    - but I dont get any of the Addition port stuff, custom settings or LPR settings

I probably need to figure out how to remove all junk I created and start over to see I can follow the path you suggest exists in the dialog netherworld ... and I will do so.

thanks

- john

• +
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

Do you have the printer driver installed?

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

I have read at:

thanks much

- john jay

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

As I do not recall a laserwriter 16/600 before.
    Nor do I recall a Laserjet 16 or LJ 600.
    The product # should either be under the lid, or opening a back compartent, or on the back of the unit. Note, if inside, you will NOT need to remove any components/consumables to see it.

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

, from the side panel with Apple info: M2680

and identified as a Laserwriter 16/600 PS on the startup printout sheet and label on the case. made in 1996 ...

- john jay miller

+
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

I didnt find anything on HP site. But, on the Apple site I found it under laserwriter 16/600 (in support). Lots of docs listing printing problems and using an older driver (I believe for MAC OS). A few stating how to get it to work in Win 95. But, nothing for 2K, XP.
    In Downloads the only drivers avail are for Win 95 as well. So it may just be driver support issues. If you really need to print from your other system, I would suggest picking up a newer printer that has support for Apple/PC. I heve seen some newer color LJs for less than $300 from HP recently, and LJ's from $150

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

Hi,

Thanks for all your efforts, this stuff can be so time consuming

No HP does not want these machines acknowledged much at all. When I put it on my network for use with a mac, I had to use the HP knowledge base and was very impressed with the prompt advice I got from a person there, it works like a charm. --

But a few days after I got the printer working I saw that they pulled the thread from the KB site ... sure, buy a new one rather than using an old workhorse that turns out fine prints and has 300K impressions left w/o major service ...
    We have a Lexmark does everthing .. what a rip, $$$ for ink that dries out in a week if its not used every other day ...

I do appreciate your time on this, regardless of this outcome I have a high regard for TechRepublic [a new site to me] because of your help.

Besst Regards

- John Jay Miller

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

I have read at:

thanks much

- john jay

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

I have always had to install the Apple Port Monitor on any computer that I wanted to install any Apple Printer on. The one I have came on a CD with the printer years ago. I have kept it and also copied it to different computers in case the CD goes bad. The CD is called Apple Printer Software Collection. This is the only way I have found to make the printer reliable. Hope this helps.

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

I appreciate it and will look into these pointers.

I am still need to get an LPR port option in the Add Printer task .. I tried the LPTx port option but that didnt work ... I have seen a ref. that with older laserwriters you have to use the LPR port ...

thanks again - john jay

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

When you are installing the printer in the add printer wizard, if you choose TCP port and follow the screens you will get one that says Additional Port Information Required near the top of the window. On this window choose Custom and then click on Settings, in the window that comes up you will be able to select LPR as the protocol and enter the LPR settings.

+
    0 Votes
    stopsendingemails

after choosing local printer,

with - use the following port

I can select a number of options
    LPTx
    Comx
    File:
    USB:
    and some others
    that are for PDF and some junk that I probably created in this process that I have to get rid of

I did create a Standard TCP/IP port and selectd the printer and model but it does not work as indicated above,
    - but I dont get any of the Addition port stuff, custom settings or LPR settings

I probably need to figure out how to remove all junk I created and start over to see I can follow the path you suggest exists in the dialog netherworld ... and I will do so.

thanks

- john