Questions

Win XP to Linux (Ubuntu 7.04)

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Win XP to Linux (Ubuntu 7.04)

walterhtx
Let me say this first, I am not a Microsoft hater. I am just looking to expand my horizons. In that spirit, I have installed and have been using Ubuntu 7.04 on my laptop. It runs great and is very intuitive. Feisty, unlike previous versions, picked up my wireless NIC right away.

Anyway, I like the Evolution email client but have a ton of critical email trapped in a PST. In my own searches, I haven't been able to find a script or utility that will allow me to import my mail and folder structure into Evolution.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I might be able to perform this migration?
  • +
    0 Votes
    rcugini

Why do you want to use evolution? If there is a reason, then continue to fight with it. Normally, you don't need it. See if Thunderbird works with Linux. You do NOT need to download email to your personal computer... ever. Life is a lot simpler if you stick to IMAP or just keep your email on the server instead of the client.

Evolution does have some advanced cheduling features which may be useful. One of the best utilities for Linux bar none is Linuxquestions.org. With Linux, there is more of a community effort involved. For example, if you got Linux to install on a desktop you could advise others on how to do it. Create an account. Its free.

I'm using Mepis 6.5 Linux right now, which is Debian based like Ubuntu. I simply use my email online by logging into my ISP (which is netzero) and checking to see if I have new email.

I know that this dodges the question a little. Just remember to keep it simple unless there is a specific reason not to do so.

+
    0 Votes
    helpdeskdude

T-Bird... slick little email program. I love it.

+
    0 Votes
    michael

Since you said you've got all your email 'trapped' in a PST file, that leads me to safely assume that you're using Outlook as a mail client on your Windows machine.

Your best bet is to use the Import/Export Feature in MS Outlook to export you email to a format that can then be imported by Evolution (or T-bird, or any other mail client). Check with your destination email application to see what types of files it can import, and then use Outlook to export to that type.

One warning I will give you regarding your email, and another post touched on this a bit as well. If you intend on using Ubuntu, and only Ubuntu for accessing your email, then all is well. If you're going to be splitting your i-net access up between two machines depending on your mood, make sure that you're email clients are both set up to leave messages on the server; otherwise you'll be stuck with 2 disjointed mailboxes, instead of a single identical mailbox on 2 machines.

Hope that helps.

+
    0 Votes
    trainer

Hi maybe have a look at IBM they made A SOFTWARE PRODUCT WHICH ENABLED WINNT4 TO MIGRATE TO LINUX i READ THIS A WHILE AGO.
    i FIGURE SINCE NT IS CLOSE TO XP IT MAY WORK

+
    0 Votes
    FXEF

In Evolution click file > import. This will open the Evolution Import Assistant, which will guide you through importing external files into Evolution. I have not personally used this feature but it is available. Please let us know if this works for you.

+
    0 Votes
    Absolutely

You said your emails contain critical information, so don't rush through this, and do your research to be sure you'll be able to archive new, critical messages. You can probably configure Outlook to put your current messages back onto your ISP's server, then re-download them in evolution. I've done this before when migrating among ISP's for the cheapest rate, but it does require some care.

+
    0 Votes
    sufyan_ghole

Step by step process
    Thanking you

• +
    0 Votes
    rcugini

Why do you want to use evolution? If there is a reason, then continue to fight with it. Normally, you don't need it. See if Thunderbird works with Linux. You do NOT need to download email to your personal computer... ever. Life is a lot simpler if you stick to IMAP or just keep your email on the server instead of the client.

Evolution does have some advanced cheduling features which may be useful. One of the best utilities for Linux bar none is Linuxquestions.org. With Linux, there is more of a community effort involved. For example, if you got Linux to install on a desktop you could advise others on how to do it. Create an account. Its free.

I'm using Mepis 6.5 Linux right now, which is Debian based like Ubuntu. I simply use my email online by logging into my ISP (which is netzero) and checking to see if I have new email.

I know that this dodges the question a little. Just remember to keep it simple unless there is a specific reason not to do so.

+
    0 Votes
    helpdeskdude

T-Bird... slick little email program. I love it.

+
    0 Votes
    michael

Since you said you've got all your email 'trapped' in a PST file, that leads me to safely assume that you're using Outlook as a mail client on your Windows machine.

Your best bet is to use the Import/Export Feature in MS Outlook to export you email to a format that can then be imported by Evolution (or T-bird, or any other mail client). Check with your destination email application to see what types of files it can import, and then use Outlook to export to that type.

One warning I will give you regarding your email, and another post touched on this a bit as well. If you intend on using Ubuntu, and only Ubuntu for accessing your email, then all is well. If you're going to be splitting your i-net access up between two machines depending on your mood, make sure that you're email clients are both set up to leave messages on the server; otherwise you'll be stuck with 2 disjointed mailboxes, instead of a single identical mailbox on 2 machines.

Hope that helps.

+
    0 Votes
    trainer

Hi maybe have a look at IBM they made A SOFTWARE PRODUCT WHICH ENABLED WINNT4 TO MIGRATE TO LINUX i READ THIS A WHILE AGO.
    i FIGURE SINCE NT IS CLOSE TO XP IT MAY WORK

+
    0 Votes
    FXEF

In Evolution click file > import. This will open the Evolution Import Assistant, which will guide you through importing external files into Evolution. I have not personally used this feature but it is available. Please let us know if this works for you.

+
    0 Votes
    Absolutely

You said your emails contain critical information, so don't rush through this, and do your research to be sure you'll be able to archive new, critical messages. You can probably configure Outlook to put your current messages back onto your ISP's server, then re-download them in evolution. I've done this before when migrating among ISP's for the cheapest rate, but it does require some care.

+
    0 Votes
    sufyan_ghole

Step by step process
    Thanking you