Questions

Win7 files/folders created having wrong datestamp ie always 03/02/2000

Tags:
+
1 Votes

Win7 files/folders created having wrong datestamp ie always 03/02/2000

shandy.tailor
Using Windows 7 64-bit NTFS system, backing-up files to a 1TB drive connected to wireless router.
Up till 05/02/2011 everything was fine when creating files & folders on the USB drive, now have noticed that ANY files or folders created on the USB drive has a date stamp of "03/02/2000 23:46", anyone got any idea why this is happening please, and also how I can resolve the issue, I'm now having to create backups with filename containing date & time stamps.
  • +
    0 Votes
    walter_robbins

The wireless router needs a firmware update.

+
    0 Votes
    shandy.tailor

It's a Thompson router from Plusnet, and the firmware was updated about 2 months ago, so are you saying this is not a Win7 issue but elsewhere, either the USB drive or router problem ?

+
    0 Votes
    shandy.tailor

opps, correction to last posted message my error, I have the TB usb drive connected to a Netgear router, which in turn is connected to a Thompson router, do you think it may be the Netgear router that needs updating, I will check it out.

+
    0 Votes
    shandy.tailor

ok, so updated the firmware on the Netgear DGN3500 router to latest version, still no luck on file/folder creation timestamps reflecting today's, any other suggestions would be welcome to the resolution of this issue please.

+
    0 Votes
    Spitfire_Sysop

I'm confused about why you are using two routers but that shouldn't change file timestamps.

So the Netgear has a USB port on it to make it a fileserver. Poor man NAS. I imagine that it is Linux running Samba. Can you set the time on the Netgear? It should timestamp the files with the time that it wrote the files to the USB drive. Maybe it thinks it is in the year 2000?

To verify this is where the problem exists can you plug the USB directly in to the computer and copy the same files in the same way? That would narrow down your search but I think that you will find that the problem is the time settings on the router.

• +
    0 Votes
    walter_robbins

The wireless router needs a firmware update.

+
    0 Votes
    shandy.tailor

It's a Thompson router from Plusnet, and the firmware was updated about 2 months ago, so are you saying this is not a Win7 issue but elsewhere, either the USB drive or router problem ?

+
    0 Votes
    shandy.tailor

opps, correction to last posted message my error, I have the TB usb drive connected to a Netgear router, which in turn is connected to a Thompson router, do you think it may be the Netgear router that needs updating, I will check it out.

+
    0 Votes
    shandy.tailor

ok, so updated the firmware on the Netgear DGN3500 router to latest version, still no luck on file/folder creation timestamps reflecting today's, any other suggestions would be welcome to the resolution of this issue please.

+
    0 Votes
    Spitfire_Sysop

I'm confused about why you are using two routers but that shouldn't change file timestamps.

So the Netgear has a USB port on it to make it a fileserver. Poor man NAS. I imagine that it is Linux running Samba. Can you set the time on the Netgear? It should timestamp the files with the time that it wrote the files to the USB drive. Maybe it thinks it is in the year 2000?

To verify this is where the problem exists can you plug the USB directly in to the computer and copy the same files in the same way? That would narrow down your search but I think that you will find that the problem is the time settings on the router.