Questions

Windows 2000 professional lost cd

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Windows 2000 professional lost cd

timd
I have lost my windows 2000 cd. i still have the product key on the side of my machine. where can i download a copy of the os.
  • +
    0 Votes
    TheChas

There is no legitimate web site that you can download ANY version of Windows from. Other than beta and trial versions of the new stuff.

Your best bet is going to be ebay, or computer swap meets.

You should also check with the company that made your computer as they often sell replacement CD packages at a reasonable price.

The BIG problem you will have is finding a CD that will accept your product key. The CD you use will have to be for the same service pack level and out of the same batch of CDs using the specific root for the key.

If your system is a Dell or HP, you will need a Dell or HP OEM Windows CD. Same for any other major system builder.

It might be easier and less frustrating to buy a retail version CD with a product key and license.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    ComputerCookie

integrated as a download a couple of times in the last month.

Only catch is I need to upgrade my TechNet subscription to TechNet Plus.

I could nearly buy a good computer for AU $595!!

Sorry Chas, just being facetious, pissed off with ambiguous emails from MS.

Jeff

+
    0 Votes
    kctobyjoe

i have one avail but this post is OLD

kctobyjoe

I am at comcast.net

+
    0 Votes
    rtaylorpcs

Do you still have one avaialable?

+
    0 Votes

If you send me your email with a forwarding address i will send you the disk with the code.

It is the English version so it will work on your system.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
    If this info is useful, please give a thumbs up. Thanks

+
    0 Votes
    johnathonpd

If you have Win2000 Pro, which is no longer being services by Dell or MS, then you need a "DelL XP Professional Restore CD."

I have two Dell PC's, which were both purchased used and modified some. One PC originally came with Win2000 Pro and has the product key sticker for Win2000 Pro. I obtained a "Dell XP Professional Restore CD," which is generic and ONLY for Dell PC"s with Pro OS on them.

I simply booted from the PC and was able to format the hard drive and install XP Pro and NO PRODUCT KEY WAS NEEDED!!!!

DELL RESTORE CD's ARE NOT MACHINE SPECIFIC! They are only basic Win OS discs that are only coded to work ONLY on DELL PC's. They are generic OS discs, which can be used on almost ANY Dell PC, so long as it's a DELL PC and nothing major was replaced on the inside.

The Dell BIOS has a generic MS product key within it, so it matches up with the Dell Restore CD and WALLA... install happens and NO PRODUCT KEY NEEDED!!!

Find a Dell XP Pro Restore CD. I have one. Send me some info and I can possible contact you.

Thanks,
    JP

+
    0 Votes
    kctobyjoe

kctobyjoe

I am at comcast.net

+
    0 Votes

If you send me your email with a forwarding address i will send you the disk with the code.

+
    0 Votes
    johnathonpd

If you have Win2000 Pro, which is no longer being services by Dell or MS, then you need a "DelL XP Professional Restore CD."

I have two Dell PC's, which were both purchased used and modified some. One PC originally came with Win2000 Pro and has the product key sticker for Win2000 Pro. I obtained a "Dell XP Professional Restore CD," which is generic and ONLY for Dell PC"s with Pro OS on them.

I simply booted from the PC and was able to format the hard drive and install XP Pro and NO PRODUCT KEY WAS NEEDED!!!!

DELL RESTORE CD's ARE NOT MACHINE SPECIFIC! They are only basic Win OS discs that are only coded to work ONLY on DELL PC's. They are generic OS discs, which can be used on almost ANY Dell PC, so long as it's a DELL PC and nothing major was replaced on the inside.

The Dell BIOS has a generic MS product key within it, so it matches up with the Dell Restore CD and WALLA... install happens and NO PRODUCT KEY NEEDED!!!

Find a Dell XP Pro Restore CD. I have one. Send me some info and I can possible contact you.

Thanks,
    JP

• +
    0 Votes
    TheChas

There is no legitimate web site that you can download ANY version of Windows from. Other than beta and trial versions of the new stuff.

Your best bet is going to be ebay, or computer swap meets.

You should also check with the company that made your computer as they often sell replacement CD packages at a reasonable price.

The BIG problem you will have is finding a CD that will accept your product key. The CD you use will have to be for the same service pack level and out of the same batch of CDs using the specific root for the key.

If your system is a Dell or HP, you will need a Dell or HP OEM Windows CD. Same for any other major system builder.

It might be easier and less frustrating to buy a retail version CD with a product key and license.

Chas

+
    0 Votes
    ComputerCookie

integrated as a download a couple of times in the last month.

Only catch is I need to upgrade my TechNet subscription to TechNet Plus.

I could nearly buy a good computer for AU $595!!

Sorry Chas, just being facetious, pissed off with ambiguous emails from MS.

Jeff

+
    0 Votes
    kctobyjoe

kctobyjoe

I am at comcast.net

+
    0 Votes
    rtaylorpcs

Do you still have one avaialable?

+
    0 Votes

+
    0 Votes
    johnathonpd

Thanks,
    JP

+
    0 Votes
    kctobyjoe

kctobyjoe

I am at comcast.net

+
    0 Votes

+
    0 Votes
    johnathonpd

Thanks,
    JP