Questions

Windows 2003 Cluster on ESXi Server without SAN or Storage

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Windows 2003 Cluster on ESXi Server without SAN or Storage

ahsan_h
Hello,

I have 2 Dell 2950 Servers with ESXi 4.0 installed on them and Two Windows 2003 Server Ent VMs running on each ESXi server. I want to cluster these two servers. I do not have SAN or storage device conncted to any on the servers.

Is it possible to have windows cluster in two ESXi servers without any SAN or storage device.? If yes can anyone please guide me step-by-step.

Thanks in advance.

Node-1 On ESXi Server-1
Node-2 On ESXi Server-2
No SAN or Storage device Available.
  • +
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

Dear Peconet Tietokoneet,

The article you are refering to does not give the details of if clustering is possible without SAN or shared storage.

Regards,

+
    0 Votes

That you need to have "Shared storage" to do a cluster.

Just to give you a bit of what it said because you have NOT read it correctly:

>>>>> All nodes of the cluster use a Shared Disk - an external disk or disk subsystem which is accessible for all nodes through SCSI (2 Nodes) or Fibre Channel (more than 2 nodes). All data will be stored on the shared disk or an external disk subsystem (for example Exchange databases).<<<<<

edited to add more info.

+
    0 Votes
    Mohammad Oweis

If you don't need any shared storage between the two servers, like: share folders, SQL DB, Oracle DB, mail boxes, ...etc
    Just an application running and no shared data, then absolutely yes.
    If there will be some shared data, it depends on what it is.
    lets say shared folders, so you can create a DFS root and replicate the data between the two servers.
    And for SQL & Oracle DB, you can replicate the DBs between the two servers, i am not an expert in that field, but i am sure it can be done.

+
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

Dear Oweis,

I am not talking about shared folders. When we create a windows cluster, Quorum drive is required to be installed on shared storage or SAN. I need to achieve this somehow without shared storage or SAN.

regards,

+
    0 Votes
    Mohammad Oweis

If you don't need any shared storage between the two servers, like: share folders, SQL DB, Oracle DB, mail boxes, ...etc
    lets say shared folders, so you can create a DFS root and replicate the data between the two servers.
    And for SQL & Oracle DB, you can replicate the DBs between the two servers, i am not an expert in that field, but i am sure it can be done.

• +
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

Dear Peconet Tietokoneet,

The article you are refering to does not give the details of if clustering is possible without SAN or shared storage.

Regards,

+
    0 Votes

That you need to have "Shared storage" to do a cluster.

Just to give you a bit of what it said because you have NOT read it correctly:

>>>>> All nodes of the cluster use a Shared Disk - an external disk or disk subsystem which is accessible for all nodes through SCSI (2 Nodes) or Fibre Channel (more than 2 nodes). All data will be stored on the shared disk or an external disk subsystem (for example Exchange databases).<<<<<

edited to add more info.

+
    0 Votes
    Mohammad Oweis

+
    0 Votes
    ahsan_h

Dear Oweis,

I am not talking about shared folders. When we create a windows cluster, Quorum drive is required to be installed on shared storage or SAN. I need to achieve this somehow without shared storage or SAN.

regards,

+
    0 Votes
    Mohammad Oweis