Questions

Windows 2003 Fax Server - Save to Network Share

+
0 Votes

Windows 2003 Fax Server - Save to Network Share

Craig_B
I have a Windows 2003 server running the FAX service. It seems to work well, however I would like to save the incoming faxes to a network share on a NAS. I can save them ok to a local drive. When I select a network path it states that the folder does not exist (which it does) or the FAX service does not have access to it. I have mapped the drive with an account that does have access but the FAX service is using a differet account. When I check the FAX service is running under NT Authority/Network Services and I don't see any way to give that account access to a Remote Share.

Thanks,
Craig
  • +
    0 Votes
    netboy

Craig,
    There are two way to accomplish your goals.
    First method:
    Change file and folder permissions on the NAS device. Modify the folder permissions to allow access from the machine account of the fax server. Machine accounts work much the same way as a user account and once setup correctly the fax server should have access to the folder. When assigning permissions search for the machine name instead of the user names. I use this method for my fax server.

Second method:
    Run the fax server service using a domain level service account instead of a local service account. By changing the service account to a domain level, you can assign folder permission to the NAS share based on the service account.

I hope this helps.

J

• +
    0 Votes
    netboy

Craig,
    There are two way to accomplish your goals.
    First method:
    Change file and folder permissions on the NAS device. Modify the folder permissions to allow access from the machine account of the fax server. Machine accounts work much the same way as a user account and once setup correctly the fax server should have access to the folder. When assigning permissions search for the machine name instead of the user names. I use this method for my fax server.

Second method:
    Run the fax server service using a domain level service account instead of a local service account. By changing the service account to a domain level, you can assign folder permission to the NAS share based on the service account.

I hope this helps.

J