Questions

Windows 2003 Server File Access Auditing Software

+
0 Votes

Windows 2003 Server File Access Auditing Software

tim.hurley
Does anyone have any recommendations for file access auditing software for Windows 2003 server? We want logs and reports for all changes to file shares, deletions, moves, creations, changes, everything.

I did want to add that I am aware this functionality is built into W2K3, and we do have it enabled, but scouring through 1000's of items in the event viewer is far from the most effecient way to accomplish the task.

Thank You
  • +
    0 Votes
    DaveDXB

Who said windows was all that///

+
    0 Votes

Hi

ufuk

Hi Tim,
    I need exactly the same program. Did you get any answer?

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

now Symantec "Control Compliance Suite" since the purchase

+
    0 Votes
    kdh_nguyen

You should research on the "Data Government" by Varonis. From the online demo it seemed to be a great product but you have to look into the costs of it.

They do have a trial version that you can install and easily turn it into production version if you like it by installed the license key.

+
    0 Votes
    wael_jabari

I've done everything required, starting from GPO up to adding everyone to folders Auditing option, but the problem is how to review the results, when I go event viewer it does not help at all.

+
    0 Votes
    ITsteve13

Tim,
    Excellent question and I think I can help. The NetWrix File Server Change Reporter does exactly what you are looking for, and even supplies a freeware version.
    The NetWrix File Server Change Reporter audits all important file server changes. The tool sends daily reports about all changes to the file servers for your review, including changes made to files, folders, shares, and permissions with previous and new values of certain configuration values. This makes file server auditing extremely easy and efficient. The commercial version of this tool provides information about who made the change and when it occurred, including detailed information about permission changes, but the free version still notes all the changes. You can also use the daily reports as paper trail for many compliance auditors that you may have to report to.
    I hope this helps,
    Stephen Schimmel, Product Manager, Stephen Schimmel
    www.netwrix.com

• +
    0 Votes
    DaveDXB

Who said windows was all that///

+
    0 Votes

Hi

ufuk

Hi Tim,
    I need exactly the same program. Did you get any answer?

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

now Symantec "Control Compliance Suite" since the purchase

+
    0 Votes
    kdh_nguyen

You should research on the "Data Government" by Varonis. From the online demo it seemed to be a great product but you have to look into the costs of it.

They do have a trial version that you can install and easily turn it into production version if you like it by installed the license key.

+
    0 Votes
    wael_jabari

I've done everything required, starting from GPO up to adding everyone to folders Auditing option, but the problem is how to review the results, when I go event viewer it does not help at all.

+
    0 Votes
    ITsteve13

Tim,
    Excellent question and I think I can help. The NetWrix File Server Change Reporter does exactly what you are looking for, and even supplies a freeware version.
    The NetWrix File Server Change Reporter audits all important file server changes. The tool sends daily reports about all changes to the file servers for your review, including changes made to files, folders, shares, and permissions with previous and new values of certain configuration values. This makes file server auditing extremely easy and efficient. The commercial version of this tool provides information about who made the change and when it occurred, including detailed information about permission changes, but the free version still notes all the changes. You can also use the daily reports as paper trail for many compliance auditors that you may have to report to.
    I hope this helps,
    Stephen Schimmel, Product Manager, Stephen Schimmel
    www.netwrix.com